Thinking of turbocharging your P5? Here's a guide for getting started...

i have a 2003 all stock p5 (50,000 miles), what do i have to do to turbo it...can i just buy a turbo kit and install it...? or do i have to get all that stuff on the list and do all that? about how much does it cost to turbo?

im about to buy a turbo kit and get the ms ecu..but theres no instructions..where can i find them? or should i just pay for someone to do the install?

Yes, im running a oil cooled turbo right now, no major difference, just make sure you have an oil cooler (which i dont have) or else your oil pressure will drop pretty quick in stop and go traffic when the car gets hot. I have to keep my foot on the gas a little bit just to keep my pressures above the single digits.

oh okay cool. thanks i dont like messing with that water stuff plus its just a simple boosted car i want to have as a daily already had a turbo ss and have a built turbo honda so just want a clean boosted p5 to turn heads with lol. now on the intercooling i read that a regular front mount will kill power with a basic set up and to use the side one? or should a nice small front mount work just fine?

Hey guys I'm planing on going turbo just doing all the reasearch for now. I keep seeing to get an msp ecu and the ssafc is that really neccesary? I have an mp3 hence no vtcs and an msp ecu will throw a code because of that. I also plan on going with more than what the msp ecu can handle boost wise ;) so do I really need one or do I just need the ssaftc. I have everything else planned out just pulling the trigger part and a little bit more research

oh okay cool. thanks i dont like messing with that water stuff plus its just a simple boosted car i want to have as a daily already had a turbo ss and have a built turbo honda so just want a clean boosted p5 to turn heads with lol. now on the intercooling i read that a regular front mount will kill power with a basic set up and to use the side one? or should a nice small front mount work just fine?

dont use a sidemount, those are absolute junk. and since you have a P5 you would have to waste money buying a MSP radiator just to run the sidemount. A front mount wont kill power, why do you think so many people run them? It just kills a little spool time depending on which way you run the pipes. Im running a 28x7.5x2.5 and thats really the biggest I would go if your running a stock turbo setup, I could probably upgrade mine sometime soon, but it works pretty good for me now.

Hey guys I'm planing on going turbo just doing all the reasearch for now. I keep seeing to get an msp ecu and the ssafc is that really neccesary? I have an mp3 hence no vtcs and an msp ecu will throw a code because of that. I also plan on going with more than what the msp ecu can handle boost wise ;) so do I really need one or do I just need the ssaftc. I have everything else planned out just pulling the trigger part and a little bit more research

Yes, you will want to get the SSAFC, or some other type of programmable ECU. If you have emmissions in your state, the MSP ECU and SSAFC is the best bet. Im running that on my car and it works pretty good, I am planning on upgrading to the SSFTC sometime soon, but the AFC is very neccesary for running higher then stock boost

just making sure based on what i read. and yeah i wont run much of a big intercooler so i dont loose spool time even tho im not so worried about power or racing it just to have a nice daily boosted p5. i already have a fully/boosted civic to have fun with lol

247820_10150197074621034_505456033_7708611_673322_n.jpg

I understand ill have to go with a piggy back I'm just trying to understand if the msp ecu is really neccesary. I'm planing on about 12 to 15 psi so a full stand alone isn't neccesary.
Why would you brag about having a turbo civic on a mazda forum? Not like its fast or anything either way you go it IS a honduh after all :)

no one said i was bragging smh. here we go with the honda knockers lol. if you got a daily mazda that you can bring me thats faster than this little civic then come talk :)

and well if your going with more than what the msp ecu can handle well duh get the standalone and do it right lol :p

Not a mazda but if I still had my mustang it'd be another story 500ish hp at the wheels all motor :D I'm not a honda knocker I just hate the sound of them. Plus I'm helping my brother build his. I bet your honda won't out handle a lot of the mazdas on this forum. I'm not trash talking we all know honda motors can hold more power than the fsde

Stand alone isn't needed ssftc is I'm just wondering why I would need an ecu that can't do the job I need it to when my ecu works perfectly fine other than the advanced timing

handling yes. I drag race it lol so that i have to admit lol. and ah all motor 500hp nice. thats what we will be making but turbo lol. and what are you guys building? and as far as the guy that flashes the p5 ecu's told me he said i wont need a msp ecu just need to reflash the p5 one with a tune from a msp or the same way he does a msp one something like that.

Single cam Non vtech not sure why lol I think he's gona turbo it.

Back on topic, I'm just not really understanding the point in buying an msp ecu and then buying a piggy back to make it do what I want it to if I can just make mine do the same thing. I'm considering going with a stand alone at this point after finding out the ssafc can only deal with up to 16 psi which I didn't know I would like to be in the 280 area for dd but able to go up to the mid 300s if needed. Is there an easy to tune stand alone that some one with no experience in tuning should get? I would assume going haltech is the best bet

MSP ecu is necessary because the P5 ecu doesnt know what to do once you hit boost if i remember correctly. for what youre saying you dont need piggy back. i have SSFTC and its good up to 16 psi, and can go higher with an internal map sensor upgrade (up to 28 or something i believe) and i have a gt28rs. if you get ftc, get a knock light. they are important if you want to tune timing as well.

also if youre planning anything above 9psi on stock MSP turbo i hope youre built, otherwise your engine wont last long.

I have to get ssftc because I have an mp3. Mp3 ecu advaces timing which = bad for turbo. I understand that the ecu wouldn't know what to do when boost comes in but isn't that what the piggy back is for? Or is there something I don't know about? And yes it will be completely built from top to bottom. With everything that I'm planing on should I just go ahead and get a stand alone? I wanted to do 14 psi but with as much money as I'm planing on spending I think I'm gona want more than 280whp. Or should I just take the money and build something with more potential? Either way I want something with 300+ whp with a turbo and be a reliable summertime dd

SSFTC is what? im new with this mazda thing lol. dealt with hondas and cobalts before

I have to get ssftc because I have an mp3. Mp3 ecu advaces timing which = bad for turbo. I understand that the ecu wouldn't know what to do when boost comes in but isn't that what the piggy back is for? Or is there something I don't know about? And yes it will be completely built from top to bottom. With everything that I'm planing on should I just go ahead and get a stand alone? I wanted to do 14 psi but with as much money as I'm planing on spending I think I'm gona want more than 280whp. Or should I just take the money and build something with more potential? Either way I want something with 300+ whp with a turbo and be a reliable summertime dd

or you could just get the SSAFC and a MSP ECU, you should really get a MSP ecu either way. The piggy back is for adding and removing fuel (or timing if you get the FTC), the MSP ECU already dumps fuel as soon as you go into boost, so tuning would just be a matter of removing fuel, or using one of the maps already available on here. If you get the P5 ECU, none of the maps here would work for you, since the P5 ecu does not add fuel under boost, you would have to add fuel with the piggy back.

Back