Thinking of buying a CX-5 but I have some questions first.

Blablabla. Sorry that I seemed to drive this right off the rails again. I concede I do have a bad habit of that and I'll try to do better.

So...OP: anything else we can answer for you? [emoji16]

Wife's out of town. I could be driving this all weekend. 40 more hp. 50 more ft lbs. Turbo. Convertible. The most nimble steering feel of any car I've ever owned. It hasn't moved since she left. I love it. It's fun to drive, too. But given the choice I always pick the CX-5.
What does that tell you, op? [emoji16]
2fa40b6f0a567af3d7f15bd0f70558a1.jpg

Tells me that a) you're a dude, that's a chick car man sorry but it really is if my wife had that it would collect dust also even on a perfect 10 vert day its a hard no for me and b) you need to go drive a brz stat and see what truly nimble steering and responsiveness really feel like;)

My 2c on is the cx5 an appliance..kinda have to go with unob and say yes but its a very well tuned one and one that i would easily repurchase in that it is actually decent fun to toss around..for what it is while doing its main task of just making coffee..starbucks cafe verona touch of cream, quite well thanks..

Tells me that a) you're a dude, that's a chick car man sorry but it really is if my wife had that it would collect dust also even on a perfect 10 vert day its a hard no for me and b) you need to go drive a brz stat and see what truly nimble steering and responsiveness really feel like;)
Lolol!
I've driven a lot of cars my friend. Saabs are excellent in the nimble steering department, too. The Volvo is almost TOO light.
I do like that BRZ though. Good looking car anyway. [emoji106]

Actually, yes, I do "get it". I can have an amazing time in cars like the BRZ or Miata. That said, the CX5 is top heavy, an automatic, and basically is only fun compared to an SUV of whatever ilk you desire that prioritizes comfort and so forth.

You are never going to compare a purpose built car like a miata to a family hauler in any sensible way in the "fun to drive" department. It's like me trying to sell a CX5 owner a Jeep Grand Cherokee by telling you "but it gets better mileage than the Durango! Its economical!" No. It's not. No matter how you want to wheedle over its upsides, it's not what you're saying it is. Just as the cx5 is not a sports car, or even a sports SUV. It's a light CUV with an adequate amount of power for fetching groceries and a nicely weighted steering system.

The fact that your profile signature is a link to your fuelly data pretty much does my work for me in explaining what this vehicle is about and we both know it. I dont see any links to your SCCA placings or your blast down Tail of the Dragon. Nope. Its "my compact SUV is this efficient!". Just as it should be.

True that.

To the OP, if what you're after is an affordable and fun to drive CUV, you definitely can't go wrong with the CX-5. I considered a few of the alternatives before settling on my CX-5 and have no regrets at all. It's a great car! Relative to the others in its class, IMO its the best all-around choice. It was the most enjoyable to drive of the cars I test drove, and the interior seemed more upscale than its competitors as well. I was actually a bit surprised I ended up with the Mazda, but it totally won me over.

re: resale value. I didn't consider this too much at all. If it ends up costing me $2K-3K vs. a Honda or Toyota, that's money I'm more than happy to eat if it means I'm driving a car I really enjoy.

Actually, yes, I do "get it". I can have an amazing time in cars like the BRZ or Miata. That said, the CX5 is top heavy, an automatic, and basically is only fun compared to an SUV of whatever ilk you desire that prioritizes comfort and so forth.

No I don't think you do. As to the bolded, that is exactly what we do. I certainly don't have delusions about what my CX-5 is and isn't. No one here is comparing their CX-5 to a damn sports car......except you. His point about a Miata was in relation to why one might enjoy a slower Miata over a faster in a straight line sports car.

You gotta pick a side Uno. Either you hate your damn CX-5 and should just unload the thing and get something that makes you happy, or recognize and enjoy it for what it is and quit making ludicrous comparisons to your old sports cars because once again, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apples to oranges. Even to your Jeep, it's apples to oranges. And coming from a Jeep myself before getting the CX-5, sorry the CX-5 is way more enjoyable to drive and has been far cheaper to own.

@Anchorman: I don't like coffee. I enjoy tea myself, but iced tea is also very refreshing in the summer. :)

Only here on Mazdas247 can a new poster ask a question on a car purchase, and receive strong but stirring opinions on Coffee vs. Tea and the Hot or Cold argument...(cryhard)

-Storage Space/Cargo room: To me, this is the biggest sticking point. Every single review of the car mentions the lack of cargo room and compares the amount of room in RAV4 & CR-V. One review* in particular said "the CX-5 is fit for making an entrance at a BBQ but a fantastic family hauler it isn't". Even my co-worker commented how he owned a Mazda Tribute and it "barely fit luggage. Don't think you can fit much and be able". At 59 cubic sq ft, that's only 10 more than my Matrix and 14 less than the RAV4. I'm curious to know how people on here with small kids do it. We are also still buying things for our house so there will be times where we will be carrying large items in the car (this won't be most of the time though). Even the center console felt small. Basically my question is do you wish you that the CX-5 was just a little bigger sometimes and would you still pick the CX-5 as your first family-hauler you own?

Hell no. CX-5 is perfect size and I would not have bought it if it was bigger and had the ass end of a CR-V. Here's the thing. I have packed my CX-5 to the brim twice in the 5 years I've owned it. Unless you are regularly packing it to full, the paper number differences in storage capacity is really a pointless comparison as a lot of those storage number differences would never be noticed unless you are packing it to full capacity to the top of the roof with the back seats down. CX-5 has plenty of storage, and I fit way more than I thought I could those 2 times I packed it full.

-Oomph: When driving it, I was surprised on how sluggish the car accelerated (considering this is the company of Zoom Zoom). Not like I need to be a NASCAR/F1 driver when the stoplight goes green, I was just expecting more go. Do you use the sport mode to compensate or do you just get use to the performance and change the way you drive?

General consensus is that it has oomph at lower speeds, but some folks on this forum have complained that it could use more passing power at high highway speeds. I have not had any issues with mine personally and find the power adequate. I regularly gun it when the red lights turn green and it has the power to do that plenty well. Don't be afraid to gun it.

-Winter: With snow tires, did you ever struggle in the winter with the intelligent all wheel drive and wished you rather had real all wheel drive or four wheel drive? Where we live, you can get quite heavy snowfalls.

I didn't have snow tires for the first 4 years I had this thing and it did just fine with the random snowstorms we get in Colorado. When I did actually get a set of WS-80 Blizzaks last year, it did even better. I notice I am regularly outperfoming other CUV's in snowstorms when I am on the road. Been very impressed with my CX-5 on that front.

-Servicing/Costs of Maintenance: Since Mazda is a smaller car manufacturer, we can expect the costs of maintaining the car to be higher. I know that the CX-5 would need synthetic oil which makes oil changes double the price. My question here is: Are we stuck to taking the car to the dealer for anything other than routine maintenance? Were the costs of owning the CX-5 higher than you thought?

No. CX-5 has been very cheap to own in my opinion. And learning how to change the oil myself makes my oil changes cost anywhere from $30-$35 a change which includes the 5 qts. of full synthetic 0w20, Mazda oil filter, and new crush washer for the drain plug. CX-5 made this super easy to do. I had no previous experience working on the car myself. Cabin and engine air filters are cheap as hell (around $10 each if even), can be bought on Amazon and each take less than 2 minutes to change out. Spark Plugs were easy to do as well. I did have dealer change my rear differential and transfer case oil recently for about $180 for both. Outside of that, tire rotations have been free at Discount Tire. So that's been my maintenance for the last 5 years of ownership. Pretty cheap I think.

-Reliability: With the recent news of the airbag recall, our enthusiasm was a bit tempered. Consumer reports rated Mazda around 12th out of 27** (right around Nissan, which I'm not sure is great considering the garbage reputation I always hear about Nissan and their CVT transmission in particular). Do you think the rating is accurate? Have you had more or less problems with the car than what you were expecting?

A very minor recall that did not even affect a large portion on CX-5s. Not sure why that matters. Recalls happen to most any car for any number of things.

I have a 2014, made in Jan 2013, bought in April 2013, and it has been nothing but stellar on the reliability page. I'll admit not high mileage at only 68,000 now, but in terms of the last 5 years of owning it since new, not a single damn problem past minor maintenance things that any car needs.

Last edited:
-Oomph: When driving it, I was surprised on how sluggish the car accelerated (considering this is the company of Zoom Zoom). Not like I need to be a NASCAR/F1 driver when the stoplight goes green, I was just expecting more go. Do you use the sport mode to compensate or do you just get use to the performance and change the way you drive?

The CX-5 (and many other current Mazdas) utilize a peculiar drive by wire throttle response. Meaning on a dead stop if you press the pedal say 80% like you did with your Matrix it may feel sluggish in comparison. Then when you press the pedal say 20% it responds better ans smoother. Reason being its tuned for MPGs. There's a feel for it. Try doing it on your test drive.

The Matrix is basically a 9-10 second car for reference.

The CX-5 (and many other current Mazdas) utilize a peculiar drive by wire throttle response. Meaning on a dead stop if you press the pedal say 80% like you did with your Matrix it may feel sluggish in comparison. Then when you press the pedal say 20% it responds better ans smoother. Reason being its tuned for MPGs. There's a feel for it. Try doing it on your test drive.

Yes, this is a great point. And when I say gun it, I mean in terms of how the throttle works, not always pedal to the metal. ;)

I have a 2014, made in Jan 2013, bought in April 2013,

An excellent evaluation, CD.

Just one question: they were selling 2014s in early 2013? So have the Cx-5 model years/sales dates always been non standard? Can anyone tell me when each of the model years was released in the US?

ok, 3 questions. :)

Surprising but very true! Stomping is NOT the fastest way off the line. And sport mode doesn't get you moving any faster, either.

Last edited:
Lolol!
I've driven a lot of cars my friend. Saabs are excellent in the nimble steering department, too. The Volvo is almost TOO light.
I do like that BRZ though. Good looking car anyway. [emoji106]

My friend..always so genuine when used...but whatev. Also telling, you define "nimble" steering as light, numb(fine i threw that in bc I've driven plenty of Volvos past and current and I know it applies) and overboosted? In that case don't drive the brz..its anti-nimble)) but hey at least you look good

An excellent evaluation, CD.

Just one question: they were selling 2014s in early 2013? So have the Cx-5 model years/sales dates always been non standard? Can anyone tell me when each of the model years was released in the US?

ok, 3 questions. :)

I'm not sure when the 2013's dropped, but it was sometime in 2012. 2013's were 2.0L only across all trims and was the first MY in NA. Mazda then made the 2.5L and dropped it into Touring and GT (and made whatever other tweaks to accommodate that) and made that the 2014 model year, but dropped that into place in early 2013. Hence I have a 2.5L Touring bought in early 2013 but it is a 2014 MY. I think the model years were ahead of the actual year as a result until 2016.5 and 2017 dropped in their respective years? As in I'm pretty sure 2015's came out in 2014, and the 2016's in 2015. I'm not exactly sure when the 2016.5's came out, but seems like the model years are back on track with the actual year as of 2016.5 and onwards.

Last edited:
I'm not sure when the 2013's dropped, but it was sometime in 2012. 2013's were 2.0L only across all trims and was the first MY in NA. Mazda then made the 2.5L and dropped it into Touring and GT and made that the 2014 model year, but dropped that into place in early 2013. Hence I have a 2.5L Touring bought in early 2013 but it is a 2014 MY. I think the model years were ahead of the actual year as a result until 2016.5 and 2017 dropped in their respective years? As in I'm pretty sure 2015's came out in 2014, and the 2016's in 2015. I'm not exactly sure when the 2016.5's came out, but seems like the model years are back on track as of 2016.5 and onwards.
For US market, 2016 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2015; 2016.5 came out in Mar. 2016. 2017 CX-5 came out in Apr. 2017; and 2018 came out in Jan. 2018.

For US market, 2016 CX-5 came out in Feb. 2015; 2016.5 came out in Mar. 2016. 2017 CX-5 came out in Apr. 2017; and 2018 came out in Jan. 2018.

Thanks for the confirmation. I thought it was something like that, but didn't know for sure with regard to 2016.5.

No I don't think you do. As to the bolded, that is exactly what we do. I certainly don't have delusions about what my CX-5 is and isn't. No one here is comparing their CX-5 to a damn sports car......except you. His point about a Miata was in relation to why one might enjoy a slower Miata over a faster in a straight line sports car.

You gotta pick a side Uno. Either you hate your damn CX-5 and should just unload the thing and get something that makes you happy, or recognize and enjoy it for what it is and quit making ludicrous comparisons to your old sports cars because once again, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Apples to oranges. Even to your Jeep, it's apples to oranges. And coming from a Jeep myself before getting the CX-5, sorry the CX-5 is way more enjoyable to drive and has been far cheaper to own.

@Anchorman: I don't like coffee. I enjoy tea myself, but iced tea is also very refreshing in the summer. :)

I blocked Uno a long time ago so I don't see his responses. But yes, Colorado, you get what I was trying to say. Thank you.

Back