thejeans 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

not sure if anyone actually sees or reads this thread anymore but heres a new update

Got the vented wing windows installed yesterday
23636489302_0f57a76b70_c.jpg

also got around to building my own LED Blanking Plates, wired them up to the map lights to make the car alot nicer to get into (excuse the potato quality photos, i promise i will get better pics of them soon)
23377032659_4dcc37f4ab_c.jpg

23118160203_4b49198db2_c.jpg

also got around to building my own LED Blanking Plates, wired them up to the map lights to make the car alot nicer to get into (excuse the potato quality photos, i promise i will get better pics of them soon)
23377032659_4dcc37f4ab_c.jpg

I'm not sure about that vent window, but I like the blanking plates a lot :D

Thanks Muff! i'm very happy with how they turned out. I started looking for a set and everything i found was 60-100 bucks. It made me want to start looking into build my own cause thats just a crazy price for what they are IMO.
I may end up making a handful of sets to sell if i see enough interest on other forums, the LED's are bright, and light the seat area pretty nicely.

the vent windows are a function over form mod... they don't look nearly as nice as the tinted glass BUT i needed an option to get some air flow into the car to help with fogging on rainy days and humid mornings/evenings since i have no AC/defroster and for a little bonus, i can turn the vent around it will vent air towards my face.

FM crossflow radiator, stage 1 airflow kit, ss brake lines have all be purchased. in the process of talking to FM about upgrading the hydra from the 2.5 to the 2.7, upgrading to 700cc Deatschwerks injectors.
Still on the list to order are the Singular NC hood Vents, Track Dog "splitter" and Ultrashield Rally Sport seats that may change after i see how expensive the whole upgrade to the 2.7 will run me. haha

Installed my Track Dog Racing Hood lifts last weekend, no more stupid hood prop!!
24864678371_5a31f12899_c.jpg

also started to rip out the interior to prep for the new seat. I have some work to do still getting the dash and carpets out but atleast the projects are moving along...
24662501290_ebf31db1dc_c.jpg

there are a bunch of goodies that will arrive at my house today, pics will follow

I really need to get hood lifts like that for the RX7. Right now I use a piece of wood wrapped in an old towel.

Yeah, it took me a while to order them for the miata, all the other options are only one strut to lift the hood and i was worried that would tweak the hood when closed and these you have to drill into the hood bracket but finally i just broke down and ordered them, im happy i did!

left the office to work from home this afternoon and these goodies showed up...

The new Seat rail
24335900403_29653f145c_c.jpg

the new seat!
24962746605_2622f6a4dc_c.jpg

Parts for my LS Coil setup.
Wires
24962746725_c29cb7a821_c.jpg

Plugs
24936445596_b12012f242_c.jpg

the bracket to hold it all together, I need to tweak this a bit but here is a pic so far
24667257430_10cb53806d_c.jpg

Deatcshwerks 700cc Injectors
24844778422_8c9d2763b1_c.jpg

Track Dog Oil Pressure sender to make the cluster gauge actually work more accurately
24936443826_00e716a8ea_c.jpg

Garage Star Delrin Door Bushings... Ive heard alot of mixed things but figured what the heck!
24869433971_eac17c75ef_c.jpg

I strongly recommend remote mounting the oil pressure sender. Those big ones hanging off the block like that can break from vibration. There's a $10 "fix" a bunch of road racers use that isolates the sender from the engine.

You can see it here mounted w/ a rubber isolated clamp to the firewall:

oilpressuresensor.jpg

Last edited:
I strongly recommend remote mounting the oil pressure sender. Those big ones hanging off the block like that can break from vibration. There's a $10 "fix" a bunch of road racers use that isolates the sender from the engine.

You can see it here mounted w/ a rubber isolated clamp to the firewall:

oilpressuresensor.jpg

clever! ill look into it. thanks for the heads up!

got the carpets out, test fit the seat, i have to start tweaking the rail to get me lower and further back cause i dont like the current location. I practiced my vinyl wrapping skills on the center console around the radio and shifter for future projects, plus i covered up that hideous silver

24710646590_3c772b4f4d_c.jpg

24375541344_be9dffb1a0_c.jpg

24720767349_c30630497e_c.jpg

woah, why's that rail kicked up so high at the front? Seems odd...

woah, why's that rail kicked up so high at the front? Seems odd...

thats track dogs "LOW" seat rail... im rather annoyed with how much it kicks up.
luckily i have a friend that's going to help me, heat it up and bend it flat, possibly even wrap it around the hump to get me as low as i want. Im still just contemplating making my own rail that would likely be about the same work as making the TDR fit the way i want.....

i might email them asking if this is fact their "low" mount cause it aint low, i think my foamectomy stock seat has me lower than the current Ultrashield and rail... and to be honest thats pretty pathetic

so i am not very please with how low the "LOW" seat rail is. if you look in the pic up a few posts you can see it bends up, its honestly no lower than my current foamectomied stock seat. So i taking the seat rail to a buddy who's going to help me modify the rail to get me lower (heat up the metal and beat the bend out of it to just bolt on and go straight back, or possibly bend down around that support bar).

i also am buying a "new to me" 6 speed and MiataRoadster short shifter to replace the "i have no clue how its never broken" 5 speed that was put into the car from the previous owner. seriously that 5 speed is a magical unicorn transmission, its from an early 90s, has around 250k on it, spent most of the last 100k on two different boosted miatae, and neither of those drivers are easy on cars hahaha. will be nice to have the 6 speed back in the car.

Last edited:
Silly question, but is it possible the mount is backward?

What Levi said. It's not backwards. It's just weird.

Levi: don't heat it. It looks like you should be able to cut the front feet (where the bolt holes are) off and then gently bend those weird kick-up bits flatter so that they sit over the bolt holes.

What Levi said. It's not backwards. It's just weird.

Levi: don't heat it. It looks like you should be able to cut the front feet (where the bolt holes are) off and then gently bend those weird kick-up bits flatter so that they sit over the bolt holes.

why shouldn't i heat it? and try to bend it back? the issue with cutting and rebending like you suggested is that while i would get it lower, i wouldn't be getting it any further back and there is another couple inches to gain by flattening and moving the rear mounting spot a touch further back. Id really like to have it as low and far back as possible... im about to just build my own rail. I can CAD design it, since thats what i do for a living, then just have a friend weld it all up for me....

Last edited:
You end up weakening the steel. It'll lose its temper. Fine for small brackets and what not. Less fine for something you want to support 200 lbs reliably.

I can't really tell what's wrong w/ the rear...seems like a couple of new holes would move the seat to where you want it. I'm sure there's a reason that's incorrect.

Back