The rhythm of the Mazda5 - Review from Durham News

daddyzoom

:
Mazda5
Here is a review April 2, 2008 of the Mazda5 from the Durham Wheels (Metroland Media). Sorry for the long text, it was copied from a PDF from the Metroland Media website. A very positive review - in short the reviewer suggests that the 5 be ranked as a premium vehicle in its class.

The rhythm of the Mazda5

By Rob Beintema
Metroland Media Group
Durham Wheels Wednesday, April 2, 2008

It came in Golden Sand Metallic. One of Those nuances of colour that I knew would Photograph as just silver but, trust me, in a certain kind of light it shimmered a delicate Shade of fashionista green. Which, together with the sleek, skirted and somewhat effeminate shape, made me wonder if they had a Mazda5 in a mens Size. Then again, this is coming from a guy once spotted lapping the banked turns of Homestead-Miami Speedway on a pink 50cc scooter. And the only volunteer to raise his hand for a fuchsia-coloured Jeep pulling tail end-Charlie duty in a mudspattered Convoy. So, I guess Im secure enough in my Manhood to drive even a minivan. And just when these thoughts are going Through my head another Mazda5 pulls Up next to me at the stoplights, rapping And rolling, bass speakers booming, sultry, Swarthy and mean-looking in deep black And chrome. Aha, so there is a mucho Macho version! One thing I did know for certain, however, Was that I had been downsized. I was coming out of a test of Mazdas Largest vehicle the CX-9 and couldnt help but notice the differences as I shifted Into the Mazda5, one of the smallest minivans in the market. Everything had shrunk accordingly. Oh, I still had three rows of seating in the Mazda5, with room for six, but the cabin was smaller, the footwells were shallower, my elbows were in tighter and the seats Were also down a couple of sizes. While I was transferring some of my stuff into this new tester, I slid into the second row where the headrests wound up somewhere between my shoulder blades. Although, to be fair, when tugged upward, they did at least extend near the vicinity of my head. But while it may seem Ive done nothing but mock the Mazda5 so far, Ive always had a soft spot for smaller vehicles and the Mazda5 definitely puts the mini back in minivan. Others have tried and failed. Think of earlier efforts like the Toyota Previa, the smaller first generation Honda Odysseys aAnd the long past Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest siblings. While not exactly great minivans, those vehicles were, in a sense, ahead of their time. Or at least ahead of an increasingly acute fuel price crunch and shifting consumer concerns. But Mazda has always resisted the cookiecutter Chrysler formula reverted to by so many minivan builders, and has always taken a stand for sportiness and compact maneuverability, in the past with its MPV And now with the Mazda5, the smallest member of its trio of family haulers that include the CX-7 and CX-9.
The Mazda5 starts with the proven platform and punch of the Mazda3, powered by its 2.3-litre, four-cylinder engine, which in this model produces 153 hp and 148 lb-ft of torque. Fuel economy is rated at 9.9L/7.2L/100km (city/hwy) and with pump prices edging ever upwards, that can only increase the Appeal of a fuel-efficient, four-banger alternative. The Mazda5 is admittedly a little more Ttp-heavy than the Mazda3 and also weighs in at about 200 kilograms more but the cutting-edge formula still works with corner-carving aplomb, easy parking size and more maneuverability than most minivans on the market. A five-speed manual shifter still juts out of the centre console or, as tested here, a new optional five-speed sport automatic transmission replaces last years fourspeed. Other changes for 2008 include a minor exterior facelift with new front and rear bumpers and front grille, and redesigned 16 & 17 alloy wheels. Inside, more content tweaking. The front passenger seat adds an inner armrest while second row seats get outer armrests. Two new interior colours are available - sand (cloth Seat material for GS and leather for GT) and black (cloth for GS & leather for GT). New black-out gauges and an auxiliary audio input jack are also now standard. The 2008 Mazda5 comes in two trim Levels - GS and GT. Along with seating for six, surprisingly large and easily accessible sliding side doors and all the other usual minivan benefits, standard equipment on The base GS models includes four-wheel disc brakes with ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD); driver and passenger front air bags, side airbags and side air curtains; front and rear stabilizer bars; power windows, locks and mirrors; Tilt and telescopic steering with steering Wheel mounted audio controls; rain sensing Front windshield wipers; remote Keyless entry with engine immobilizer and A four-speaker AM/FM/CD audio system. Along with the automatic transmission, Air conditioning is also optional with Automatic climate control and second row Cool air vents with fan-speed control. A move up to the Mazda5 GT adds larger, 17-inch alloy wheels; cruise control also on the steering wheel; a funky fold-out Table and storage compartment stored in one of the middle row seats; power Moon roof; leather-wrapped steering Wheel and shift knob; fog lamps; motor assist on the sliding doors; rear roof Spoiler; and upgraded six speaker audio system. This test went just about the Way I expected. It was easy to get used to the blend of expanded utility and space without the sacrifice of performance and agility. The rack and pinion steering with Electro Hydraulic Power Assist swoops you through the corners with graceful ease. Left, right and through the S-curves. This is a minivan you can get into a Rhythm with. And once my wife got her Hands on the wheel and recognized the Familiar agility of the Mazda3 she regularly drives, along with the benefit of passenger And payload versatility, a sliding second Row, a fold-flat third row, both rows folding to a maximum cargo space of 857L, well, it was game over. I never saw the keys again until it was time to return the Mazda5. You know, in Europe, this wouldnt be considered an entry-level vehicle. It would be considered family sized transportation with exceptional cargo capacity for a compact vehicle. And With its well-finished interior, upgrades for 08 and access to upscale accessories like Bluetooth connectivity and a navigation system, it would be rated a people mover in the premium class. And, come to think of it, thats probably how the 2008 Mazda5 should be ranked in Canada too.

Back