The definitive bulb size guide.

TheMAN said:
btw.. a 194 bulb is a 3.8w, the 168 bulb is 3w, and a W5W is a 5w

just to give you an idea how bad the 194 and 168 is

I thought it was bad to use higher wattage bulbs as that could burn the wiring. Actually, I think I've read YOU post about that very thing.

Then again 2Watts isn't very much power.

1) the additional load is negliable
2) you're replacing the FACTORY bulbs with the same type (if you use the bulbs I've mentioned in the list)
3) if you use the bulbs mentioned in the OLDER incorrect lists, you are actually reducing the load
3) #1 is null and void when you follow #2

Just as an FYI, i'm trying to stock aftermarket versions of all of these at my store, just click below on the banner to view.

Hey, is 65 watts too much for the headlights? I think I've got H7.. 65watts.. but they got messed up in the mail, so I'm getting different ones. Also.. I test fitted one bulb.. it got very hot, and my friend said he saw smoke on the inside of the headlamp enclosure. Also smelled something burining. I'm guessing this is bad..? so.. 65 watts too much?

ChuEy826 said:
Hey, is 65 watts too much for the headlights? I think I've got H7.. 65watts.. but they got messed up in the mail, so I'm getting different ones. Also.. I test fitted one bulb.. it got very hot, and my friend said he saw smoke on the inside of the headlamp enclosure. Also smelled something burining. I'm guessing this is bad..? so.. 65 watts too much?
just go out to pepe boys and get the sylvania cool blue ones if you want a white looking and not a distincitivly ricer looking blue/white looking headlight

Thanks for the info KyredP5, I used the info to get new headlight bulbs, fog , taillight and red dome light.

I went with the new GE Nighthawk bulb - same wattage 55w but the light output is way better than stock.

KYREDP5 said:
I searched around and couldn't find a post with all the bulb sizes, so I thought I'd try to make one. I'm not going by persional expearience on these so if anyone has any corrections just let me know. I've found multiple #'s on some so if anyone knows for sure that one will work and the other won't let me know also.

Protege 5
Low Beams - H7
High Beams - 9005
Fog Lights - H3
Corners - 194, 168
Sidemarker - 194, 168
Front Signal/Parking - 1157NA
Dome - 3022, DE3175
Rear Signal - 7440, 210Y
Map Lights - 194, 168
Trunk - 194,168
Tail/Stop - 7443
Plate - 3652

So how many of each bulb do we need for the gauge cluster for the P5? The dim ass bulbs in there now really irritate me. Hopefully if I put in some red 5-LED wide angle bulbs like I had in my Eclipse it will be brighter.

What about heat dissipation and the life of the bulb? On exterior lights, I have heard of the 194/W5W bulb socket being melted. Brighter light is good, melted socket is not. Also, for the instrumental cluster, I read that W5W is not recommended because of the shorter bulb life meaning you have to take the dash apart and replace it more often.

Anyone have a response to my previous post?

I replaced my bulbs there a couple of years ago. I think it takes two bulbs, but don't quote me. It is dim because of the orange condom on the bulbs and I replaced mine with amber 194, a little brighter, a little more orange matching the factory stereo. I was not a fan of the red cluster anyway.

You can take apart the cluster easy enough. If you need instruction, try to search for DaveB ring installation or ask anyone who has done that. It took a total of 10 min for me when I installed mine.

Getting the cluster out is easy. I had to pull it to install my alarm yesterday. Ok I guess I'll just order 3 - 4 Red 74's and 194's just in case. Thanks!

So, behind the cluster, there are multiple bulbs - of different sizes as well. I saw them when I was installing my rings. Now, without tearing it all apart again, does anyone know how many of each bulb there are back there?

Also, have we come to a clear answer onto what is the propper bulb for the rear turn signal?

Back