The best way to paint rear gray bumper cover...

Demo

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
What is the best way to paint the rear gray bumper cover on a P5? Any ideas? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Demo

Attachments

• P3280013.JPG
    P3280013.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
That must have come out with the '02.5 model. Mine doesn't have it, and I saw an '02 the other day that did have it.

it was an accessory.

You don't want to paint that. The purpose is to guard your bumper from scratches when loading something into the trunk. If you paint it the paint will scratch off and it will look horrible. If you don't like it just remove it. If the plastic is fading and you don't like that there are products to fix that mothers back to black is one.

I had one when I first got the car. I tried sanding and painting with bumper paint made for plastic, within a few months it started chipping. I ended up taking it off. It looks a lot cleaner now IMO.

YUpp....Don't paint...Leave it ..or remove it..Thats all.

I need one of those...the guy who owned my car before me used the top edge of the bumper like a tailgate...

I need one of those...the guy who owned my car before me used the top edge of the bumper like a tailgate...

You can get one thru Mazdastuff..costs like $25..goes on with 3M double side tape. Put one on mine cos I'm always loading stuff in/out.

You can remove it and then get some Black Krylon Plastic Paint from Lowe's to bring it back to life. This paint is meant for outdoor use ( ie: Plastic Patio Chairs, Mailboxes, kid's toys, etc....) Then when you put it back, use 3M tape around the whole edge to keep it from popping up in the sun.

I did this to mine, and you would never know that it was painted. Now it will remain looking like new.

Good Luck.

Post some after shot pics.

use some black WOW on it.

its available i believe at detailersdomain.com

that will bring back the black color of it, and will last.

use some black WOW on it.

its available i believe at detailersdomain.com

that will bring back the black color of it, and will last.

X2 or tire shine if you need a quick fix to hold you over until you get some Back to Black or similar product.

I love mine!

back to black is ok,

for over the counter products, check out stoners trim shine as a quick fix.

excellent product.

Are all these products available at a local parts store like autozone, checkers, or Napa auto parts?

trim shine is, black wow is only available online, but IMO you will get the best results with black wow

I just order the "Black WOW" today. I hope it isnt just another waste of money. Ill keep yall posted.

trust me.

it will work.

check out some reviews for it on some of the detailing forums (autopia, detailing bliss)

22v here so if it fades it blends in better. lol. But it won't because my car spends most of it's time in a garage at home or work.

Back