Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

"Prime" trim. Really? Prime? That name alone would have me not considering it. :D

What is not known on some of these German variants in testing may make it to the market and some don't make it to the US. :( bummer
I hope it does just to give us some more options to consider.

Another nice new release from the old Big 3 is the new mid engine Corvette. It has a lot of features and materials of high end European cars and at a very good price point. So while it maybe not innovative in terms of a DCT or mid engine or other things, it comes to the market at a price that a regular guy like us can potentially afford. It performs pretty good from what I have seen so far. Based on this discussion this morning I am happy to see the Big 3 showing some vigor. I was listening to the Jay Leno video with Executive Chief Engineer. So it is what you said earlier. They have creative and intelligent teams at the Big 3, but they just need to let them do what they do and it could get really exciting. To me, as a designer, I was most interested to get some insight of how and why they did this radical change to a classic car. I love the lineage of the Vette and yet I can totally accept this new edition.

I've owned a 68 and a 2001 Corvettes for a total of 35 years. Believe me, you should not expect any kind of reliability from new or used Corvettes, even during the warranty period. It is sad because as you mentioned, they always represent one of the best performance bangs for the buck. It's just that they don't spend enough time on quality, either before or after the car is introduced for sale.
Leasing may be your best bet to avoid having to have the car serviced, often. I will rent one via Turo.com for a day when any become available.

Last edited:
Where are you seeing that, Canada? MSRP is almost $37k ($38k with destination added) in the US

Yep, Canada. Using mazda.ca's builder and the cash purchase option, the CX-5 Sig has an MSRP of $40950. Add Soul Red paint for $450, freight and PDI for $1895, A/C tax for $100, and "tire stewardship fee" for $18.75, and it comes to $43413.75 (before taxes). This does not include the Mazda Retail Cash rebate of $1500 or the Current Incentive rebate of $500.

$43.5k CAD is approx. $32.7k USD.

Yep, Canada. Using mazda.ca's builder and the cash purchase option, the CX-5 Sig has an MSRP of $40950. Add Soul Red paint for $450, freight and PDI for $1895, A/C tax for $100, and "tire stewardship fee" for $18.75, and it comes to $43413.75 (before taxes). This does not include the Mazda Retail Cash rebate of $1500 or the Current Incentive rebate of $500.

That's a steal. Reminds me of the Canadian deals people were getting on the Stinger. Too bad we can't just cross the border and bring one back.

Unless you are racing, how it feels is probably much more important that the numbers.

I agree. I thinks thats the only reason this discussion has dragged on so long though. Numbers vs perception.

I've owned a 68 and a 2001 Corvettes for a total of 35 years. Believe me, you should not expect any kind of reliability from new or used Corvettes, even during the warranty period. It is sad because as you mentioned, they always represent one of the best performance bangs for the buck. It's just that they don't spend enough time on quality, either before or after the car is introduced for sale.
Leasing may be your best bet to avoid having to have the car serviced, often. I will rent one via Turo.com for a day when any become available.

Thats too bad. My grandfather builds hot rods as a hobby and always said Corvettes are fun but are money pits. Data point #2.

It's interesting how these prices vary from nation to nation.

There's a video posted here of a CX-5 review by a guy in Malaysia. He mentioned the price range in local currency, and the conversion came up to $46,000 USD. Of course, packages do vary. His CX-5 has i-Stop. But still...

Mine equates to 51800 USD at the current rate but we get raped by the tax man. If you think ours is bad, you should see some of the Scandinavian prices.

It's interesting how these prices vary from nation to nation.

There's a video posted here of a CX-5 review by a guy in Malaysia. He mentioned the price range in local currency, and the conversion came up to $46,000 USD. Of course, packages do vary. His CX-5 has i-Stop. But still...

Check out Denmark with their insane VAT.

I owned a 2001 Trans Am (same engine/transmission), and a 2011 Z06 (not many miles, bought new, sold in a year), and have multiple friends with C5 vettes. Super reliable, IMO. What issues have you had with your '01?

Mine equates to 51800 USD at the current rate but we get raped by the tax man. If you think ours is bad, you should see some of the Scandinavian prices.

My mother was British...a WW2 bride.

She was a member of a transplanted Brits club, one of whom was fond of saying "You left us because of taxation without representation. Now that you have representation, how do you like it?"

This is one thing I like about living in Colorado. Any state tax increases, changes to the tax plans, or otherwise have to be approved by the voters. They sometimes get around this with making "fees" though. For instance, vehicle registration went up significantly in 2006. But for the most part, things can be kept in check.

I stand looking at those information sheets you guys get in new cars and get very envious of your prices. I think the ocean must be uphill form Japan to England and downhill to the USA!

I stand looking at those information sheets you guys get in new cars and get very envious of your prices. I think the ocean must be uphill form Japan to England and downhill to the USA!

And we have politicians who are envious of your VAT tax.

Op talks about performance. I reply with a post about performance. You said why do we have to talk about performance in a thread where OP started talking about performance. #Logic

If you are going to haul hay then sure interior space to the very last inch counts, but if what you are saying is true - these lines of vehicles Q5, X3, F-Pace, Macan, CX-5 should all be discontinued because the only purpose of an SUV is space? That's laughable. I am willing to sacrifice 5 cu ft of space which I am sure I will miss twice a year for a better driving car which I will be driving more than twice a year.

I didn't mention about not talking about performance, just regarding taking it to a track. Does this guy have to worry about his hybrid battery dying on the road like it would on the track? And those SUVs are all luxury SUVs. People buy them for the badge. Mazda doesn't compete with them, they compete with the RAV4 and Foresters of the world, where interior space matters. Maybe you are willing to sacrifice space and fuel economy, but 8 out of 10 buyers in this segment won't.

... And those SUVs are all luxury SUVs. People buy them for the badge. Mazda doesn't compete with them, they compete with the RAV4 and Foresters of the world, where interior space matters.

Not everyone fits in your box. I cross shopped it against the X3, Q5 and RDX. It ends up coming down to more than just badge.

Back