Test drove 2019 CX-5. Disappointed

I think that I may trade as soon as I break-even, for a Ford Edge ST/Sport, though. The turbo 4 is just "soft" down low, regardless of what the numbers on a dyno may allege. I always hated that about 4 cylinders, and had thought the dyno would supercede this, but it just ain't so, even if it gets all of the torque at 2K. I could live with this...but it's ALSO soft up top, ROFL! It's just weak, see more below.

That would: Give me a lower note (buying 1-3 years used). Give me more hauling capacity in a faster, better handling vehicle, and we have a dealer here that offers lifetime powertrain warranty (They have been around for years, offered it for years, and I know people who have used it and say it's legit, no gimmickiness or pressure or weaseling, and the dealer has darn near 5 star reviews on every website that you can find reviews for local businesses on).

I'm very happy with everything about the vehicle except the mirrors that you need to replace the motors in every 20K miles, and the way the turbo loses all power in the cold, and is "soft on the hit".

Also, I cannot replicate magazine acceleration numbers in my CX5. 7 seconds is as best it will do 0-60. Every other car I've had? I can replicate or BEAT magazine numbers with. I shouldn't be nearly 1 second off in this one.

Anyway, it will do until such time comes as I get into something else, but honestly, as much as I love the rest of the car, I gotta say that almost 25K miles in, I do regret the purchase. Mazda has lost me as a customer over this one. The mirrors ($1500 every 20K miles), and the "iffy stiffy" turbo are just lame. Yes, my mirrors are already getting weaker on folding/opening, with one (the one that's been on 3K longer) going notably slower than the newer one. I suspect in another 15K miles or so, it will be time for another replacement. During the lifetime of t he warranty (150K miles), this will cost my dealer over $10000, at MSRP.

I think you would like a Charger.

I think that I may trade as soon as I break-even, for a Ford Edge ST/Sport, though. The turbo 4 is just "soft" down low, regardless of what the numbers on a dyno may allege. I always hated that about 4 cylinders, and had thought the dyno would supercede this, but it just ain't so, even if it gets all of the torque at 2K. I could live with this...but it's ALSO soft up top, ROFL! It's just weak, see more below.

That would: Give me a lower note (buying 1-3 years used). Give me more hauling capacity in a faster, better handling vehicle, and we have a dealer here that offers lifetime powertrain warranty (They have been around for years, offered it for years, and I know people who have used it and say it's legit, no gimmickiness or pressure or weaseling, and the dealer has darn near 5 star reviews on every website that you can find reviews for local businesses on).

I'm very happy with everything about the vehicle except the mirrors that you need to replace the motors in every 20K miles, and the way the turbo loses all power in the cold, and is "soft on the hit".

Also, I cannot replicate magazine acceleration numbers in my CX5. 7 seconds is as best it will do 0-60. Every other car I've had? I can replicate or BEAT magazine numbers with. I shouldn't be nearly 1 second off in this one.

Anyway, it will do until such time comes as I get into something else, but honestly, as much as I love the rest of the car, I gotta say that almost 25K miles in, I do regret the purchase. Mazda has lost me as a customer over this one. The mirrors ($1500 every 20K miles), and the "iffy stiffy" turbo are just lame. Yes, my mirrors are already getting weaker on folding/opening, with one (the one that's been on 3K longer) going notably slower than the newer one. I suspect in another 15K miles or so, it will be time for another replacement. During the lifetime of t he warranty (150K miles), this will cost my dealer over $10000, at MSRP.

Dont let them put new mirrors on unob, there is a repair kit with beefed up motors and better seals that will end the mirror issue.

Either I got a dud, or it doesn't like my voice. It's difficult to imagine a system with less accurate voice command acceptance than my 2018 CX-5 GT premium. It's comically awful.

Before Android Auto became available, I was mounting my phone on the windshield for navigation.

It would be nice to get the turn by turn directions in the heads up display, but not worth the aggravation of trying to interface with the Mazda factory Nav.

Give it a try using the exact format (32 seconds in):

Voice command button, "address", then speak the address without the zip code.

I've seen people literally struggle with the Lexus voice commands (2019 models) repeating the address over and over to no avail. In the 4 months I've had the car I've tested the factory nav out pretty extensively, and it's gotten the address right every time, except for the one time I accidentally said a similar but different street name. It works very well in rural and suburban areas. The only thing it's lacking is live traffic updates, more important in city/urban areas, for that you want to use Carplay/AA with Google Maps or Waze. The Google Maps/Waze is more forgiving for incorrect addresses where it can autocorrect (again, because of the data connection).

My 2 cents

I had the opposite experience to that of the OP. To me, the RAV4 was sluggish and the quality of materials in the interior seemed very, very cheap. As for noise, I found it somewhat noisier than the CR-V it replaced and much noisier than the CX-5. Also, the design of having the passenger seat permanently higher in height than the driver's seat makes little sense, and the wife didn't like that at all. After test driving the 2019 RAV4, Tuscon, CR-V, Forrester, and Rogue, I chose the CX-5. It's a hoot to drive, has a lot of pep, and the quality of the interior is first rate. Very pleased with my purchase.

Hello......brand new member here. I'm an old retired dude and am looking for a replacement for my wife's 2011 GMC Acadia "Barge". Want something nimble and dependable but while I drive an Audi S5 Cabriolet I also like a quality vehicle. I've narrowed my search to 3 cars :
1) Mazda CX-5 GTR
2) Lincoln Corsair Reserve
3) Audi Q3 Premium Plus
I've test driven them all at least twice and I must say the CX-5 is the MOST FUN to drive. It feels like a Porsche !! My daughter in Los Angeles owns a 2016 Mazda 3 and absolutely LOVES it !!
The Mazda CX-5 GTR looks a little plain but my wife likes that about it. Quiet elegance. Fit and finish is A-1.
And, as mentioned earlier......FUN to drive, like no other.
Decision time coming soon.
Thanks.

Hello......brand new member here. I'm an old retired dude and am looking for a replacement for my wife's 2011 GMC Acadia "Barge". Want something nimble and dependable but while I drive an Audi S5 Cabriolet I also like a quality vehicle. I've narrowed my search to 3 cars :
1) Mazda CX-5 GTR
3) Audi Q3 Premium Plus
I've test driven them all at least twice and I must say the CX-5 is the MOST FUN to drive. It feels like a Porsche !! My daughter in Los Angeles owns a 2016 Mazda 3 and absolutely LOVES it !!
The Mazda CX-5 GTR looks a little plain but my wife likes that about it. Quiet elegance. Fit and finish is A-1.
And, as mentioned earlier...**...FUN to drive, like no other.
Thanks.

The Audi*s are nice but here in Europe, they come as an empty box and by the time you*ve added anywhere near the amount of kit that comes standard in a Mazda, the price has gone off the scale. German reliability isn*t all it*s cracked up to be either.

The Audi*s are nice but here in Europe, they come as an empty box and by the time you*ve added anywhere near the amount of kit that comes standard in a Mazda, the price has gone off the scale. German reliability isn*t all it*s cracked up to be either.

Actually, Audi reliability has gotten pretty good in the past few years.

Of course then there's the just-announced Rav4 Prime, that is supposed to generate 302 hp, 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, and average 90 mpg equivalent. For that I might learn to live without the CX-5's real wood trim. :)

Last edited:
Personally, I see no big deal about a 2-3 sec. difference in 0-60 acceleration in an SUV. A sports car yes, but not an SUV.

True, but in general it means more power wherever you need it. And if 2-3 seconds doesn't mean much Mazda when to a lot of useless effort to shave that much time off with the new CX-5 turbo.

I assume you own the non turbo CX-5?
But, you're correct. We all have different needs and wants.

Yes, I have a GT. Don't get me wrong, it's great if someone wants a turbo. For me, it makes little sense in an SUV application. I was just curious as to the reason others want the turbo. Wouldn't a NA V6 be better, assuming Mazda offered one?

Yes, I have a GT. Don't get me wrong, it's great if someone wants a turbo. For me, it makes little sense in an SUV application. I was just curious as to the reason others want the turbo. Wouldn't a NA V6 be better, assuming Mazda offered one?

The V6 is pretty much a dying breed. It's becoming more about fuel economy. The turbo in the CX-5 is the only reason we own one.

1) Mazda CX-5 GTR
3) Audi Q3 Premium Plus
And, as mentioned earlier...**...FUN to drive, like no other.
Thanks.

SQ5 would be the natural choice, I'd think, no?

Welcome, Peedue.

I bought a Reserve last March, and share your enthusiasm I feel gushing through my monitor! The car is crazy fun.

I recently retired to a very rural part of Virginia, and driving is actually fun again. I've said before that it's been a long time since I've had a car I liked so much I would take out for a drive on a nice summer night, just for the fun of it. I've done that several times with my CX-5.

Good luck with your decision. Have you poked around the forums for the other 2 cars you're considering?

Back