TCS, traction and BSM lights all on

It has been like this for a long time. I’ve had no issue driving but I need to get rid of the traction lights for inspection. I have also noticed - when I start the car they don’t come on straight away, but only when the steering wheel is turned from the center point to the left. If the wheel is in the middle, and I turn it right, I have no issues until I turn left. They then remain on until I turn the car off. Any ideas?

It is impossible to help because you have provided us with no information about your car.
What year is it?
What country are you in?
What is your mileage?
FWD or AWD?
How long has it been like this?
Has it been in an accident?
Have you modified the electronics in any way?
Have you taken it to a mechanic?
Did you check the fuses?

It has been like this for a long time. I’ve had no issue driving but I need to get rid of the traction lights for inspection. I have also noticed - when I start the car they don’t come on straight away, but only when the steering wheel is turned from the center point to the left. If the wheel is in the middle, and I turn it right, I have no issues until I turn left. They then remain on until I turn the car off. Any ideas?
If you've had any front end work or an alignment done, and they did not reset/recalibrate your SAS steering angle sensor, then what you're describing will happen. I've seen it on Volvo and BMW.

It is impossible to help because you have provided us with no information about your car.
What year is it? 2011
What country are you in? USA
What is your mileage? 120k but this started happening before 100k
FWD or AWD? AWD
How long has it been like this? A year and a half now
Has it been in an accident? It has not
Have you modified the electronics in any way? Nope
Have you taken it to a mechanic? Yes, they couldn’t figure it out
Did you check the fuses? Yes

Do you have a sunroof? Odd electrical problems have been caused by water leaking into the car and into the body control module. Is anything else "weird" happening like windows not working, etc?

If you've had any front end work or an alignment done, and they did not reset/recalibrate your SAS steering angle sensor, then what you're describing will happen. I've seen it on Volvo and BMW.
I went to a few places to recalibrate and it didn’t do any good :(

Do you have a sunroof? Odd electrical problems have been caused by water leaking into the car and into the body control module. Is anything else "weird" happening like windows not working, etc?
I do have a sunroof but I pretty much never use it, and I haven’t had any other weird electrical issues

I went to a few places to recalibrate and it didn’t do any good :(
The fact that it triggers when turning the steering wheel is what has me still not convinced it's not the SAS. I would personally invest in a scan tool, like one from foxwell, that has the SAS test and reset option. That sensor seldom goes bad, but always a possibility, however unlikely.

What have the mechanics tried to do to diagnose this problem? Any codes? Have the diagnostic tests in the service manual been performed?

The blind spot monitor and the traction control systems are pretty much independent. The fact that both of these are involved is pointing to an electrical issue.

I'm leaning towards the body control module because a number of people have had them go bad. The symptoms usually start with random lights on the instrument cluster lighting up and then progress from there. The fact that you have a sunroof also furthers my suspicion because the drains tend to clog and the water ends up running into the passenger cabin down the A pillar. The BCM is unfortunately right under the A pillar on the driver's side. Has the carpet ever been damp with no explanation?

It could also be the wiring harness in the steering column has developed an intermittent short which is sending unexpected signals to the BCM. Finally, it may also be a voltage or charging system issue as this can cause the dashboard warning lights to illuminate randomly.

That's about all I can think of.

Check brake fluid.
My wife's 09 CX9 had the same issue and it was determined that the brake fluid was low. I think it was due to the brake pads wearing down so the fluid in the reservoir dropped below the sensor.

Dealer said it was due to a leak between the master cylinder and the booster, but that issue did not apply to her car. Of course they wanted something like $2k to repair it. I passed and never had an issue over the course of another ~100k miles.

lay behind of the rear tires and look inside of the rear bumper. unplug the BSM socket and insulate it with electric tape. start the car and check it. if it solves your problem, it is time to change BSM sensor/s.

If it does not make any difference, you should check BCM . somebody already explained the possibility above.

If TCM + ABS are on at the same time, check ABS sensor.

What have the mechanics tried to do to diagnose this problem? Any codes? Have the diagnostic tests in the service manual been performed?

The blind spot monitor and the traction control systems are pretty much independent. The fact that both of these are involved is pointing to an electrical issue.

I'm leaning towards the body control module because a number of people have had them go bad. The symptoms usually start with random lights on the instrument cluster lighting up and then progress from there. The fact that you have a sunroof also furthers my suspicion because the drains tend to clog and the water ends up running into the passenger cabin down the A pillar. The BCM is unfortunately right under the A pillar on the driver's side. Has the carpet ever been damp with no explanation?

It could also be the wiring harness in the steering column has developed an intermittent short which is sending unexpected signals to the BCM. Finally, it may also be a voltage or charging system issue as this can cause the dashboard warning lights to illuminate randomly.

That's about all I can think of.
Thanks for the help, I’ll try to explore these options. It seems to only happen when I turn left. If, hypothetically, I only needed to turn right during my drive from A to B, they wouldn’t come on.

lay behind of the rear tires and look inside of the rear bumper. unplug the BSM socket and insulate it with electric tape. start the car and check it. if it solves your problem, it is time to change BSM sensor/s.

If it does not make any difference, you should check BCM . somebody already explained the possibility above.

If TCM + ABS are on at the same time, check ABS sensor.
It didn't fix the issue - I also just switched the BCM for a different one. Same problem still. Is there anything else it could be? I do not have the ABS light on, only TCS and BSM

I'm afraid I can't be of much more help. The only thing I'd recommend is to search for the shop manual (it's on this forum and on the internet elsewhere) and follow the diagnostic procedures outlined in there - it has step by step instructions for diagnosing what the lights mean when they come on.

Good luck.

Battery was changed a while back and issue continued. Also, they come on when I turn the wheel either way now...! Also, I changed the clock spring over in the steering wheel and that didn't help either.

My 2013 CX-9 has the same issue. Had the problem for about a year now but haven’t had it checked out yet.

@NemoFarr, have you been able to find a resolution yet? I have been having the same issue for the past several months. The lights come on only when I make a left turn and if I have the indicator blinking. The lights actually come up as soon as the indicator goes back to it's regular position after I've completed making the turn and turn my steering back to the straight position. It only comes on if I use the indicator to turn left. If I turn without using the indicator, the lights never come on. They also don't come on if I make a right turn. Weird!!

I tried taking it to a mechanic and they said something "related" to the SAS but didn't know how to fix it, etc. I have given up.

I currently have the same issue w my 2010 CX-9, both the TCS and BSM lights coming on. When I first turn the car on, there are no warning indicator lights. Once you put it in drive, turn steering wheel left, both the TCS lights and BSM lights come on. Very annoying. I have reviewed a few YouTube videos but nothing has worked. I also reviewed a video stating the ABS sensor may be bad and needs replaced. Of course, determining which ABS sensor is bad requires jacking up, removing each wheel and testing the ABS sensor cable. Not sure if others have seen that as well

Latest posts

Back