Synthetic Oil in 3.5L V6

I just want to know if there are known "issues" from using it in this engine. Thanks.

I've heard of none. Turbos love synthetic, so it stands to reason that it would stand up well to the temps and stresses of a n/a V6.

Last edited:
My other car is a 2005 SUbaru Legacy GT wagon. I am using Castol Syntec in that one.

I swear by synthetics! I used Mobil 1 on my 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS and after 92,000 miles (thats when I traded it in for an '08 CX-9 GT) I still never burned any oil. All my oil changes were done at 8000 Km (5000 miles) and I never added any additives nor did I ever have to top up any oil. My engine was a Toyota 2ZZ-GE 1.8L putting out 180 HP at 7800 RPM.

I also use Mobil 1 on my '02 WRX and again zero issues.

Prior to these two vehicles I had a '97 Protege LX with which I got to 125,000 miles using synthetic (switched to Mobil 1 afte around 80,000 miles). Again zero oil loss even though I stretched my oil changes to 12000 km (7500 miles).

You cannot go wrong with Synthetics. Just purchase your oil from Wallmart and give it to the dealer when you get your oil changes done. I would not recommend stretching your oil change intervals because synthetics don't prevent dirt from entering your engine (its dependent on the quality of your air filter). I think too often people mix up viscosity breakdown with dirty oil. 99.9% of the drivers out there will never be able to break down any name brand oil as long as they follow the mfg's suggested oil change interval. However we must also realize that not all oils are created equal. Many of the synthetics or special oils have additives to help combat various challenges (i.e. climate, age, etc.).

Note: if you plan on towing then by all means please use the best oil you can possibly afford.

Finally...I do have a question we must ask ourselves? If you invest in a nice vehicle, why would you want to skimp on $20-$30 every 5000 miles (8000 Km)?? Thats less than a penny a mile!!!!

There are no issues using synthetic oil in ANY engine. However, if you can't get past the 'I have to change my oil every 3000 miles' mentality, then synthetic oil is a waste of money. Synthetic oil lasts much longer than conventional oil. 7500-15000 miles is fine between oil changes, depending on the engine, use and the specific oil. I put synthetic oil in my everything I own. I stick to the owners manual change intervals while under warranty (for this engine 7500 miles), then after the warranty is up I go to 1 year or 15000 miles. I have 3 cars, none use any oil betweeen changes, I have sent the oil out for analysis after the 15000 mile changes and it is always still good...

My CX-9 was a "replacement" for a 1995 Volvo 850 wagon. We still have the Volvo and the engine is doing just fine. Mobile 1 oil every 5000 miles for over 270,000 miles!

Other vehicles using synthetic have been 1995 Ford Aerostar 170,000 miles and still going, 1989 Ford Aerostar 160,000 miles, 1989 Honda Civic 115,000 miles, and 1987 Ford Taurus 195,000 miles.

My CX-9 just got it's first oil change and it is also now using synthetic!

One engine that shouldn't be fed synthetic is the Wankel (RX-8, RX-7, etc). Mazda has had an overwhelming number of cases of ruined apex seals that they've traced back to synthetic oil. This engine is desgined to 'burn' oil and synthetics are formulated to resist burnoff. A good quality conventional is best for this engine.

I have 3 cars, none use any oil betweeen changes, I have sent the oil out for analysis after the 15000 mile changes and it is always still good...

Hey good to know! Thanks for sharing. I made the switch to synthetics for 2 reasons, 1, I was getting tired of the 3k change cause I drive roughly 200 mi/day and 2, cause I was told it was honestly better for the vehicle. Mobil 1 in my mustang that i drive and also in our cx-9. The 9 doesn't get nearly the miles my stang does but it's good to baby it anyway. Cheap insurance is how I look at it. I change out around 5-7000 miles.(cool)

(iagree)
Go with Synthetic, if your wallet affords. Mobil 1 is by far the best synthetic oil out there, IMHO. (Please...Mr. Amsoil, I did state IMHO).

Worth it!

One engine that shouldn't be fed synthetic is the Wankel (RX-8, RX-7, etc). Mazda has had an overwhelming number of cases of ruined apex seals that they've traced back to synthetic oil. This engine is desgined to 'burn' oil and synthetics are formulated to resist burnoff. A good quality conventional is best for this engine.

i got rid of my oil metering pump and run synthetic in the car and use a synthetic premix in my gas hehe... not recommended on cars that still have their warranties

synthetic is awesome. i use mobil 1 and changed my last one at 9,000mi with a filter only change at 2,700 mi. oil looked fine.

Back