Suspension Recommendations?

Since I don't want to hijack an existing thread, starting fresh.

My GF has a slightly neglected '03 P5 and it's due for a complete suspension re-up. The idea is not to rice it, stance it or otherwise screw it up. The ultimate goal is to make a canyon carver out of it, something that wold keep up with Miatas in the twisties.

And of course, within a reasonable budget.

I have had experience with set ups from Racing Beat, Flyin' Miata, 949 Racing, Koni, Eibach, V-Max, etc. Some in my cars and others in friends' cars.

We're planning on going coil-overs to have a choice of height settings.

So, what is the preferred coil over brand/model recommended by you guys?

Gidday!

I'll put my vote in for BC Gold coilovers simply because they were so easy to install, though I can't comment on ride quality (yet)

I reckon a set of new KYB/ oem style struts, some slightly lower springs and new bushes all round would be enough to get a great handling car without the hassle of coilovers. Throw a bigger rear sway bar at it and it's even better!

Pretty much all pre-assembled coil overs have the same R&R level of difficulty. We're more interested in handling so a somewhat stiffer FRONT sway is part of the equation.
Careful with bigger sway bars in rear, they tend to make the rear end "happy" -and not in a good way.

I will look into your suggestion, thanks!! :)

How are things down in Aotearoa these days?

No worries :D

There is a larger front swaybar available from Racing Beat, and the MSP version, most people don't run them as they cause more understeer than anything else. (and they're an absolute mongrel to install)

I love my AWR rear bar, just enough extra stiffness to sharpen the car up, but not too much that it snap-oversteers :)

NZ is going good, we're just about finished with a COVID 19 lockdown so it's going to get busy soon!

WOW... and here I thought replacing a front sway bar in an ND Miata was a PITA.... I suppose that I could do what Stirling Moss did during one race where they needed a stiffer sway bar and didn't have one; he welded a steel pipe alongside the original.... :)

I did exactly what you want, I bought new KYB struts and installed Megan Lowering springs. Just enough drop and the ride is not rough and still carves in the twisties. Oh BTW get some camber bolts too.

I did exactly what you want, I bought new KYB struts and installed Megan Lowering springs. Just enough drop and the ride is not rough and still carves in the twisties. Oh BTW get some camber bolts too.

I'm curious, what model KYB struts did you buy? Did you get the GR2 / Excel-G that RockAuto sells as an OEM replacement?

I've seen the Megan Racing lowering springs on their website and they're cheaper than the alternatives I know of, but they don't mention any specs, so I assumed they weren't going to be the highest quality. You seem to like them, is there any info you can give on how much they lowered the car, etc.?

They also aren't on this sheet I usually reference:
ea328281e897a3e33ac2a821b1ece894.jpg

Edit: I took the part number and went on eBay and found https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), which is not only cheaper at $130, but also lists 1.9"-2" drop front/rear and 280F/230R for what I assume is the rate. Does that sound accurate?
Edit2: Old thread on Megan springs

Last edited:
I'm curious, what model KYB struts did you buy? Did you get the GR2 / Excel-G that RockAuto sells as an OEM replacement?

I've seen the Megan Racing lowering springs on their website and they're cheaper than the alternatives I know of, but they don't mention any specs, so I assumed they weren't going to be the highest quality. You seem to like them, is there any info you can give on how much they lowered the car, etc.?

They also aren't on this sheet I usually reference:
View attachment 225003

Edit: I took the part number and went on eBay and found https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned), which is not only cheaper at $130, but also lists 1.9"-2" drop front/rear and 280F/230R for what I assume is the rate. Does that sound accurate?
Edit2: Old thread on Megan springs
Yep the GR2's on Rockauto. The Megan springs I got were on Amazon with a lowering of 1.9 - 2". No clue about the rate.
The camber bolts I knew I was going to need because I ran the Megans on a previous P5 and tire wear was terrible. So these actually helped to get the tires squared up on the ground.

Back