suspension differences between models

theorist

I'm shopping for a used Protege. I'd like to know what the suspension differences are between the different more common models, namely DX, LX, LX 2.0, ES, and Protege5.

I'm one of those few who highly value excellent fuel efficiency and excellent handling. I'd like the excellent handling of the ES with the superior fuel efficiency and the lower price (without much standard equipment) of the 1.6L DX.

I test drove a 99 ES, 2000 DX, 2001 ES, 2003 DX, and 2003 Protege5. I was surprised that while the handling of the 2000 DX was so poor, the handling of the 2003 DX was extremely good. I know that the 03 DX has the 2.0L rather than the 1.6L. There was a difference in tires too, but comparing the DX's the ride in the 03 DX was MUCH firmer and there was far less body roll than in 00 DX.

Can anyone summarize the differences in stock suspensions between the different trim levels and years?

Last edited:
If you value good handling and gas mileage- then get either a 2001-2003 ES or Protege5 with manual transmissions. Both have a rear sway bar and rear disc brakes. I have an auto in my 2003 ES and while my handling is good, the fuel economy isn't the greatest- it's not bad, just not great either.

Lx models did come with rear sway bars, it was only dx models that lacked them iirc however es models also came with firmer struts than the dx and lx models. In later model years I'm fairly sure es models also had the front subframe brace and tower brace found on the p5 and msp where as the dx and lx models lacked this brace and tower brace. The brace makes a pretty big difference in reducing oversteer, which along with firmer suspension and the tower brace make es models noticably superior in body roll and reducing oversteer. Don't forget that es models also had bigger front brakes than dx and lx models from 99-00, however I think that lx 01-03 picked up the 10.1inch brakes of es models and just lacked rear discs, not sure

Last edited:
Theorist,
No matter which model you look at, check out the factory trim package sticker on the right front door jam. I own an 02 protege dx 2.0. you would think that it had just a wimpy suspension package, but mine clearly lists the sport suspension package. It has front and rear sway bars, the front strut mounts are different as well. they dont have the big cushy rubber bushings that traditional strut mounts have, instead they are a rubber covered plate with bearing and nothing more. this makes the suspension corner stiffer and is also stiffer over bumps.

Lx models did come with rear sway bars, it was only dx models that lacked them iirc however es models also came with firmer struts than the dx and lx models. In later model years I'm fairly sure es models also had the front subframe brace and tower brace found on the p5 and msp where as the dx and lx models lacked this brace and tower brace. The brace makes a pretty big difference in reducing oversteer, which along with firmer suspension and the tower brace make es models noticably superior in body roll and reducing oversteer. Don't forget that es models also had bigger front brakes than dx and lx models from 99-00, however I think that lx 01-03 picked up the 10.1inch brakes of es models and just lacked rear discs, not sure

2002.5+ DX and LX had the same suspension and brakes, including the small rear swaybar. I swapped out my DX/LX swaybars for Racing Beat, really nice compared to stock. Best would be to get a 02.5 and up ES or P5 to start with though.

Last edited:
Back