Surprised at first oil change on 2020 CX-5 GT...Tailgate recall?

:
Mazda, Gran Touring
After getting my oil changed, I was told about a recall for the tailgate module. Never expected this on a 3 month old vehicle. I was told that sometimes the tailgate module would stay on longer than necessary and drain the battery. Anybody else experience this recall?

Yes its a known issue.
It was a tsb at some point in time but may be now its a recall. Your dealer can fix it for you.

After getting my oil changed, I was told about a recall for the tailgate module. Never expected this on a 3 month old vehicle. I was told that sometimes the tailgate module would stay on longer than necessary and drain the battery. Anybody else experience this recall?

My wife’s CX-5 died twice before we realized this was a thing... We just thought it was the Arizona heat messing with a bad battery.

Yes its a known issue.
It was a tsb at some point in time but may be now its a recall. Your dealer can fix it for you.

Depending on who you ask, the TSB came out in April. We bought our CX-5 in May and I think the techs prepping cars should have fixed that... our local dealer said the TSB didn’t come out until July. I’m guessing it went out as a possibly issue in April and became an official TSB in July.

@etop8222 this discussion will help

Depending on who you ask, the TSB came out in April. We bought our CX-5 in May and I think the techs prepping cars should have fixed that... our local dealer said the TSB didn’t come out until July. I’m guessing it went out as a possibly issue in April and became an official TSB in July.
Be aware that a TSB is not the same as a safety recall.

The TSB is for any common problems but the free fix is only covered by warranty. You have to pay for the repair if the problem no longer has warranty coverage.

The recall is safety related and the fix is free even if the vehicle is out of any warranty.

Things happen and comparing to stop sale on all new CX-5’s in January 2016 for almost 2 weeks due to a safety issue of fuel filler pipe this’s nothing.

If you’re sure this’s a recall, not a TSB, you can wait indefinitely to get the power liftgate module replaced as long as you don’t have the issue, a dead battery. You never know Mazda may come out a “better” revised version for the module than the current revised one.

What could be less safe that getting stranded because of a well documented issue?

OP has nothing to worry about since his car is brand new, but that seems crazy.

What could be less safe that getting stranded because of a well documented issue?

Not sure if being serious or not here.

Not safe for vehicles is directly causing harm. Example -- airbags with debris in them, or accelerator pedals that get stuck because of floor mats (maybe).

A dead battery does not directly cause harm. Sure you might be cold, or maybe parked in front of a lava flow ; but it wont cause harm directly. You as an operator of a vehicle are responsible for safely operating a vehicle (don't park in front of a lava flow; carry a coat for cold climates).

Now if the conversation were the battery EXPLODED and then made the vehicle not correctly operable while driving -- that would be a safety issue, thus a recall.

Hopefully this clears it up.

Not safe for vehicles is directly causing harm. Example -- airbags with debris in them, or accelerator pedals that get stuck because of floor mats (maybe).

A dead battery does not directly cause harm. Sure you might be cold, or maybe parked in front of a lava flow ; but it wont cause harm directly. You as an operator of a vehicle are responsible for safely operating a vehicle (don't park in front of a lava flow; carry a coat for cold climates).

Now if the conversation were the battery EXPLODED and then made the vehicle not correctly operable while driving -- that would be a safety issue, thus a recall.

Agreed. That’s why this problem is only a Service Alert, not a recall at this point. For those who potentially may have such problem (check the VIN in the SA) need to get the power liftgate module replaced before your new-car warranty expires!

6F5699EE-FA8E-445C-A8FD-0CB958BB1AA8.jpeg

..... I was told about a recall for the tailgate module. Never expected this on a 3 month old vehicle....

Meh, it's a machine with lots 'o parts and wires and computers and such. Manufacturers (of anything) are bound to run into issues now and then with components. At least it's not a major ut-oh internal engine part or something. A power lift gate control module sounds pretty easy for the dealer to replace (if necessary) at your next visit.

My 2002 Protege had the best headlights of any car on the road, HID or not, tested by consumer reports. The protege was also the quickest FWD car ever tested through the cones by road and track magazine. It also got 5 star safety ratings, being one of the 1st and only cars on the road with side curtains.
It also never turned itself off in the middle of the night during a lake effect blizzard or in the California desert during the summer which are both death sentences. Me as the operator of a brand new 30,000 dollar car would be dead.

But the Protege's floor mat might get stuck to where I might have to shift my foot a little to move it....like literally every other car on the road. That isn't my biggest worry. If you're cool with a new car that randomly dies, that's your prerogative. Mazda didn't always do s*** like that though.

Hope THIS clears it up for YOU. lol

Last edited:
It has been an issue for many of us. I read about it here (before Mazda was pushing dealers to fix it preemptively) and bought myself a lithium-ion battery pack / jump-starter as a hedge against getting stranded if my car (which was in the VIN range) was also effected.

Needed to use it for the first time just over a month later when I came out to a completely dead vehicle.

Had the service done a few days after that.

Same!

When it happened the first time, i thought it was just the heat from the middle of an Arizona summer. I couldn’t find anything wrong with OBD diagnostic, and Autozone (weekend) couldn’t find anything wrong with the battery. So, I bought a lithium-ion battery to give it a jump if need be. Now it’s just in the car for giggles. Cheap sense of security!

I got a notification in the mail yesterday. It reads like a recall now and not a TSB.

Attachments

• PXL_20201001_134043782.jpg
    PXL_20201001_134043782.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 140
At the top of the letter it says "SSP" "Special Service Program" and then later at the bottom of the letter says visit https://www.mazdarecallinfo.com/ to review recalls AND service campaigns. I think this still falls under service campaigns, not a formal recall.

Recalls are BIG news and even BIGGER costs - the government agencies get involved and it is a big to do. A service campaign or service bulletin is Mazda's way of saying 'yeah we got an issue, it is not dangerous, and we are such a great company we are gonna proactively notify owner's to take care of it." "No need to look our way governmental entities we got it under control." :)

At the top of the letter it says "SSP" "Special Service Program" and then later at the bottom of the letter says visit https://www.mazdarecallinfo.com/ to review recalls AND service campaigns. I think this still falls under service campaigns, not a formal recall.

Recalls are BIG news and even BIGGER costs - the government agencies get involved and it is a big to do. A service campaign or service bulletin is Mazda's way of saying 'yeah we got an issue, it is not dangerous, and we are such a great company we are gonna proactively notify owner's to take care of it." "No need to look our way governmental entities we got it under control." :)
Yes, Special Service Program is not a safety recall, but IMO it eventually will. There was a SSP on passenger-side airbag reprogramming for my 2016 CX-5, but it became a recall after several months.

What is the reason they might need the vehicle for an extended period of time if the job takes about an hour?

I would guess that part availability may be an issue at your dealership.

I would guess that part availability may be an issue at your dealership.

Could be. Maybe that would only be for people that are experiencing dead batteries. The rest of us that want to get it done proactively shouldn't have a problem getting the part ordered beforehand. I think in the early stages the dealers would only do the replacement if your car was showing signs that the battery was being affected so it would make sense then, but the letter makes me think that's not the case anymore.

Back