Sunroof shattered...options?

michaeljc70

:
Mazda CX-5 Touring 2015
This weekend on the highway my sunroof shattered. I'm not sure how, maybe a rock? Anyway, is this something I have to go to the dealer for? I looked on a major auto glass replacement site and apparently they don't replace on the CX-5. Is this something that I could order online and easily replace myself?

Any ideas on the pricing?

Thx

That's weird, was the sliding cover closed?

BMWs had a few cases happen with this in their E9x.

Something to do with over pressure/buffeting. (It's science)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This weekend on the highway my sunroof shattered. I'm not sure how, maybe a rock? Anyway, is this something I have to go to the dealer for? I looked on a major auto glass replacement site and apparently they don't replace on the CX-5. Is this something that I could order online and easily replace myself?

Any ideas on the pricing?

Thx

Luckily, the shade was closed. Otherwise it could have caused an accident.

Seen this happened a few times here on the CX-5. Some tried to get it covered under new car warranty to no avail. These tempered moonroof glass for CX-5 is only available from Mazda like those windshield with sensors. It'll be expensive and I wouldn't try to replace it by myself since most likely you'll have to go through your insurance anyway due to the replacement cost.

Searching on yelp and online, I called a local auto glass place that had good reviews. $435 + tax and it will be the original OEM glass.

I'm not sure how much a dealer would charge, but I have to think much more. The main issue is I live in a very large city and there isn't one Mazda service dealer in the whole city. I would have to go to the suburbs and then somehow get back home and then get a ride back out there to pick up the car.

No need to pay for a new one. I'd look for one at a salvage/wrecking yard/dismantler or on eBay.
Besides, if it's intact after a totaling event, it seems more likely it'll be a good one.
Good luck.

Last edited:
This just happened to my 2016 CX-5 as well. Funny thing is, we hadn't even driven it. My wife last drove it two days ago and it was fine. Yesterday it sat in the driveway and it was fine. This morning I look out the window and it's shattered. Lots of little pieces still sitting on top of the roof. Almost looks like it buckled under pressure as it's bulging up in the center. I'm starting to believe it may actually be a manufacturer issue. Of course, the first question the dealer asks is my mileage..."oh you're 2,100 miles over the warranty limit...", geez.

8212f4e28bed7297ff2ca666e3d72789.jpg

66c8606bee6c3c5d43306dde4c9816b3.jpg

79ab8e9b5981a53ee43ed2afaf42ef5c.jpg

Last edited:
Get on Social media - make a YT video "Esploding CX5 moon roof - beware!!"

This just happened to my 2016 CX-5 as well. Funny thing is, we hadn't even driven it. My wife last drove it two days ago and it was fine. Yesterday it sat in the driveway and it was fine. This morning I look out the window and it's shattered. Lots of little pieces still sitting on top of the roof. Almost looks like it buckled under pressure as it's bulging up in the center. I'm starting to believe it may actually be a manufacturer issue. Of course, the first question the dealer asks is my mileage..."oh you're 2,100 miles over the warranty limit...", geez.

What about the temperature? Was it hot weather?

Looking at the pictures, it look like it just rain. Maybe the sudden drop of the temperature + the rain causes the crack?

Or maybe someone doesn't like you? :D
Or maybe some kids playing baseball at the neighbors house that aren't polite enough to be honest?
Maybe a car went down the street and kicked up a rock that landed perfectly?
I think any of those are more likely that just some completely random weather related breakage...

Or maybe some kids playing baseball at the neighbors house that aren't polite enough to be honest?
I think any of those are more likely that just some completely random weather related breakage...

There are only three kids on my block, two are mine and the third is too young to be out playing baseball at night (as are mine for the record). He's only six. (uhm) Even though the "magic stone" theory is plausible, I doubt it. I live on a 25mph street, for a stone to be picked up and thrown that high, it would take some serious speed from a passing car to generate that force. Oh, and they would technically have to "not like" my wife because they would have walked right past my pristine CX-9 and left it's moonroof untouched. (unamused)

What about the temperature? Was it hot weather?

Looking at the pictures, it looks like it just rain. Maybe the sudden drop of the temperature + the rain causes the crack?
The temps have been abnormally cold here, but that being said I live in a typically hot climate. So the "cold" weather was in the 50's.

Get on Social media - make a YT video "Esploding CX5 moon roof - beware!!"

Humm, maybe. Dealer told me to call customer support at Mazda, I have a feeling that will be an exercise in wasting my time.

Seen a few of these from a number of manufacturers. Barring a rock impact (possible on highway) it may be a manufacturing issue. Tempered glass is held in tension with itself and sometimes a temperature jolt or small edge defect starts a microscopic crack that then instantly propagates and wrecks the panel. I suspect that in the quest to shed weight glass manufacturers are being pressured to develop new formulas and manufacturing techniques that test the limits of tolerance. See also: weak windshields

I'd try corporate Mazda and see what they say. Can't hurt to ask.

⋯ I'd try corporate Mazda and see what they say. Can't hurt to ask.
Exactly. And the way the glass is bulging up in the front center doesn't look like getting hit by the stone. Definitely it's buckled UP under pressure.

Forgot to add possible bird damage - picked up something and then dropped it while flying over the car

It doesn't appear to be tempered glass (I'll check the label when I get home) because there appears to be no dicing. We've all seen the remnants of tempered glass, small little chunks. The glass is very hard to break due to the compression/tension Craigo spoke to. I can't tell if it's laminated, like a windshield either. The cracking is really weird. I know the car is sealed very tightly, so maybe a pressure blowout. There were a number of instances like that in the '80 where rear windows were shattering. If it happened while it was closing I would go with a jammed whatever causing the frame to bend. But sitting in your driveway...that is odd.

Yep very odd indeed. Just to cap this off, I spoke with Mazda customer experience and they "declined" to assist with the repair because "they do not know why it failed".

(rofl2) I laughed out loud at that one.

If I built and distributed a product, and it failed without a clear reason, that is EXACTLY when I would be inclined to assist my customer. If only to figure out why it failed so that if it's my manufacturing issue, I could fix it. This whole Mazda NA claim has been one big runaround. First I had to file a claim via e-mail, then drive the car to the dealer with a missing sunroof (which was a huge pain), when I got to the dealer the service manager told me "I don't know why corporate told you to bring it here, there's nothing I can do or check". They didn't even take pictures since the roof basically fell apart on the drive over there, they just copied the pictures I took at home. Then they decline to help fix it...lovely.

I'm not surprised, but I am disappointed. Good thing I found a sunroof at a junkyard for cheap. Otherwise, I'd be pretty pissed.

Well I can't totally blame them. I can only imagine the number of people that come in with any number of randoms issues and proclaiming "I didn't do it. I just woke up and it was like that!"

Quick Google: looks like Mazda is on the list of complaints for shattered sun roofs...but the 3 not the CX-5. NHTSA had... 9 complaints on 3's. In 17 years:
https://jalopnik.com/here-are-all-the-cars-reported-to-have-exploding-sunroo-1819815183

Back