Sunroof exploded!

:
Cx-9
The sunroof in our 2018 CX-9 randomly exploded while we were driving it. Sounded like a M80 went off inside the cabin. Nothing around, no other cars, no people, nothing to throw something at it. It just shattered. Luckily the headliner was shut to catch all the tiny glass peices.

I saw that this happened to someone with a CX-5 but didn't know if anyone else has experience this? Taking it to the dealership today. I think it should be covered by Mazda, they said they will have to run it through Corp because it is glass related. Car only has 16k miles on it.

Attachments

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
Were you driving at highway speeds?

In that thread, I posted a bunch of examples of other users on the forum reporting the same thing over the years. Yours seems to be the first example on the forum of this issue on the 2nd gen CX-9.

There seem to be a lot of reasons something like this could happen. Swift temp changes, bad piece of glass, existing damage, external impact, wind buffeting, adhesive delaminating, etc. It seems to be that it isn't just one factor on its own, but a combination of many. It isn't overly common, but it does happen. If Mazda doesn't cover it, try and see if your insurance will.

Antoine

Administrator
Is it me or are we seeing a sudden increase with this issue recently? Could it be weather related or a supplier issue?

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
I've seen glass spontaneously shattering on many brands. Including many panoramic roofs. This is the first I've seen the sunroof shatter on a 2nd gen CX-9.
Hopefully the dealer can get the claim honored. They/Mazda can easily argue that there's no way to prove spontaneous explosion - something looks like it impacted it (note circular hole). Either way, your insurance most certainly has to cover although unfortunately minus the deduction out of pocket.

:
Cx-9
Were you driving at highway speeds?

In that thread, I posted a bunch of examples of other users on the forum reporting the same thing over the years. Yours seems to be the first example on the forum of this issue on the 2nd gen CX-9.

There seem to be a lot of reasons something like this could happen. Swift temp changes, bad piece of glass, existing damage, external impact, wind buffeting, adhesive delaminating, etc. It seems to be that it isn't just one factor on its own, but a combination of many. It isn't overly common, but it does happen. If Mazda doesn't cover it, try and see if your insurance will.
I was not at freeway speeds. Traveling around 40mph. I will pay out of pocket I think if Mazda doesn't cover it. Don't want my insurance going up.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I was not at freeway speeds. Traveling around 40mph. I will pay out of pocket I think if Mazda doesn't cover it. Don't want my insurance going up.
If Mazda doesn't cover it, I would still escalate up to Mazda Corporate, at the very least to make them aware of this issue.