Subaru owner reviews AWD on Mazda CX 9

Drogos

Long story short ...it's pathetic. Now for those who care to read the explanation, please continue below.

Little background. I own 2 subarus, 2011 outback and 08 Legacy GT SPEC B. The latter one was tracked both in the summer and on frozen lakes in Wisconsin so I have pretty good understanding on how AWD works.
Spec B has viscous center differential and Torsen LSD on the rear axle. Outback has much less sophisticated AWD with viscous center and open rear diff. Spec B is biased more toward the rear axle and is absolute dream to drive both in dry and on snow/ice. Rear comes around very nicely depending on the amount of gas input and is very controllable once you understand it's idiosyncrasies. Outback is not as fun but still very capable. What is common for both these cars and any subaru recently produced, is the fact that AWD is always engaged. I believe technical term Subaru literature uses is "drag". There is always minimal drag on the rear axle. Some sources estimate it to be 5-10% depending on many factors, model, year car included. Even on the highway, cruising at constant speed, you will have AWD engaged. I find this to be very reassuring and definitely improves stability and safety. It definitely stabilizes car in turns when on power and obviously makes all the difference in slippery conditions. When I was switching from front wheel drive to AWD subarus couple years ago I noticed that in snow/ice at very low speed, even when you are off gas and kind of cruising through the turn in residential areas, Subaru will track nicely and will hold it's line very nicely where in same conditions FWD car would plow forward and simply understeer badly whenever front wheels loose traction. Comparable tires, same conditions .....no comparison,period. Now is 2nd scenario when we use more speed in turn and rather defensive driving technique, Subaru will understeer and plow forward like any other car. Finally most fun and effective scenario >>> on power through the turn >>> that's when that AWD system shines. Usually simple approach is to hit the gas in the beginning of the turn to initiate rotation and than back off the gas a little to neutralize. All that equals very controllable low traction turns at any speed in any conditions.

So that's the feedback I came with to today's slippery Mazda cx 9 test drive. I am searching for 2010 GT model to replace one of my subarus since 3rd kid is on the way. While winter in Chicago was gracious so far, it finally hit us pretty hard. Snow, very low temps and all those cx 9s sitting at dealership's parking lots on mediocre all season tires, ready to be tested :) So I took 08 GT model for a spin today. Absolutely LOVE those cars. Built quality, comfort is spot on. That 08 model with 100k miles rode like new car and other than very weird seat position and extremely short seat itself...I was in love with the car....until the AWD test. So first test presented itself unintentionally. I was puling out of the driveway and had to merge with the traffic quickly. Car had bridgestone duelers all seasons on and road was very slick so I expected little slippage but with AWD I didn't really anticipated any issues. Used to subaru AWD which basically just goes instantly in any but most slippery conditions, I hit the gas ....wow ...lol.....surprise surprise.....Looooong front wheel spin, traction control kicks in, power is cut off and I am slowly ...way too slowly rolling into the main road. My first reactions was ....ok I really though I was test driving AWD trim but apparently i was wrong. Ok, so finally found a perfect test site. Couple frozen patches in the parking lot enables me to put front wheels on very slick surface and rears on semi dry pavement with decent traction. I slammed the gas ....and the same scenario: front wheels spinning, power cut ...then ....wait for it, wait for it....and wait some more ....rear axle finally kicks in with abrupt and obvious transfer case engagement. Turned of traction control...same thing minus power cut and even more brutal rear axle engagement. I would say 1 second or so delay between front slippage and rear wheels engagement. WOW !!! That's just BAD, really bad. AWD is such an afterthought in Mazda cx 9. I can't imagine that such delay could do any good in controlling any slippage in real world emergency situation...say on the highway at higher speeds. I am really hopping that I found a bad fruit and that next AWD CX 9 I test tonight will be more capable.

This whole experience doesn't change my mind about these cars, I am still getting one and I was expecting little bit less capable AWD performance anyway but I was not ready for this. I am now REALLY appreciating simple, yet so capable AWD system in my subbies. CX 9 is basically a FWD vehicle with an AWD that kicks in when it decides that there is some slippage on front axle. That's fine but why it takes it so long to figure this out ??? 30 year old control board with couple transistors slapped to it, is capable of making that decision and basic calculation pretty much instantly....Why CPU in car released in 2007 can't do that instantly ???? Perhaps issue is strictly mechanical???? Viscous couplings/differentials are known to have little delay in engagement but that's exactly what sits in both of my subarus and the moment you hit the gas, all 4s are spinning without hesitation...even in lesser subaru outback.

It's just silly how incompetent mazda's AWD is. I am wondering how it works after that initial delay. As long as it stays on, I can live with it easily. When going uphill on slippery surface, keeping that momentum is everything but even if initial delay causes you to loose all that momentum.....engaged AWD should do the work, in most situations.

yes, I know rubber is everything and I am the most vocal advocate of winter tires you will ever meet still......good rubber needs help and keeping momentum is SO important in any poor traction situation. Love the car but I am now questioning if I should even invest more in AWD trim.

Any input from CX 9 AWD users will be very appreciated.

"So I took 08 GT model for a spin today. Absolutely LOVE those cars. Built quality, comfort is spot on. That 08 model with 100k miles rode like new car and other than very weird seat position and extremely short seat itself...I was in love with the car....until the AWD test. So first test presented itself unintentionally. I was puling out of the driveway and had to merge with the traffic quickly. Car had bridgestone duelers all seasons on and road was very slick so I expected little slippage but with AWD I didn't really anticipated any issues.....I hit the gas ....wow ...lol.....surprise surprise.....Looooong front wheel spin, "

Just to be fair and impartial, I will be the first to admit the Subaru AWD system is superior to Mazda's

BUT I can 100% absolutely guarantee that 2008 AWD CX-9 with 100,000 miles AND front spinning tires has a bad transfer case and you were driving with 2WD not AWD. My CX-9 does not act like that in snow, it's very responsive.

The tell tale sign is the spinning front tires, it's a well known symptom of transfer case failure. It's even listed right on the heading title for Mazda TSB 03-001/12 "4WD - FRONT TIRES SPINNING AND/OR 4WD DSC LIGHT FLASHES WHEN DRIVING UPHILL OR TAKING OFF" you can see the TSB attachment in the link below.

Just sneak a peek underneath the 2008 CX-9 and I guarantee you will see signs of black oil leaking by the transfer case.

A true test would be to go test drive a new 2015 AWD CX-9 in the snow/ice and you will see a big difference.

sidenote: the oem Bridgestone Duelers are absolute junk in the snow, I swapped mine out after 5K miles, total garbage and dangerous in snow, you should consider cost of new tires when buying a used CX-9 with oem Duelers.

Most previous CX-9 owners never ever serviced the transfer case until just recently when Avidien posted his very detailed how to procedure.

DO NOT BUY a high mileage or used AWD CX-9 WITHOUT testing out the transfer case first,

follow Avidien's post #3 in the link below for transfer case test BEFORE buying any used AWD CX-9.

link for Mazda TSB spinning front tires and transfer case test :
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123852535-Sorry-guys-another-awd-question&highlight=drive+shaft

I love the CX-9 but I would never ever recommend friends or family to buy a used AWD CX-9, most have transfer case problems if the oil was never changed. Most buyers of used AWD CX-9's don't even know about the transfer case issue until the first snowfall and that sickening feeling of the FWD spinning and they're not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm also willing to bet there were transfer case issues with that demo. I was playing in 10" of fresh lake effect snow last night in an unplowed lot with the wife's CX-9 to test out the new tires and the transfer case engages instantly. So quickly that it's easy to get the tail to kick out from the rear wheels spinning. I was excited that it was going to be a fun little drift mobile until I realized how you can't disabled the traction control. Unfortunately the CX-9's Ford roots kick in and the stupid traction control won't stay disabled once you hit 10mph. It's hard to have Zoom-Zoom fun drifting when the electronic nanny keeps sticking her stupid face into your shenanigans. I think I'm going to install a tastefully done switch labeled "Novice" and "Expert" next to the traction control switch and wire to cut the wire leading to the ABS fuse. :)

\ I think I'm going to install a tastefully done switch labeled "Novice" and "Expert" next to the traction control switch and wire to cut the wire leading to the ABS fuse. :)

(lol) LOL funny you are da man eskimo !

I agree with batmancx and eskimo, that 2008 demo CX-9 has a bad transfer case guaranteed.

Big question: is a standard FWD CX-9 the same driving dynamics as a broken AWD (which is basically a FWD CX-9 since the broken transfer case has been decoupled from rear wheels) ?

If answer is yes, then based on OP's snow handling description of FWD CX-9 in snow there's no way in hell a standard new FWD CX-9 will work for me where I live, I'm sure it's fine in warm weather states that never sees snow or ice.

i.e. spinning front wheels is normal on a FWD ? I mean that's basically the main symptom per the Mazda TSB, so if you have front spinning wheels on your AWD (your transfer case is busted) but does that mean FWD CX-9 with spinning wheels is ok ? something must be different right, what am I missing ?

Last edited:
I drove an '05 Legacy GT Wagon before getting my CX-9 so I came from a similar place as the Spec B was a derivative of the GT. That car was fantastic in so many ways. The AWD was fantastic. The turbo 2.5 was powerful enough to get you into trouble in slippery conditions but driven sensibly with snow tires I never had a problem in the snow except for times when the ground clearance was insufficient. Moving to my 2009 CX-9 AWD Touring, I knew what I was giving up. The car would be less fun and less sure-footed in wet conditions. Those expectations have been met. The CX-9 is no Legacy GT but it's never gotten me into trouble either. AWD traction isn't always there immediately and traction control will intervene when the wheels slip resulting in a loss of power until things get sorted out. But, with a set of snow tires I've gotten through some tough NY and VT winters without an issue to speak of. If you keep trying to launch the heavy 3-row crossover under icy conditions with all season tires, you're going to be disappointed. But driven sensibly, the CX-9 is perfectly capable.

i'm not crazy about the awd in our cx-9 but it isn't as bad as you describe.

having said that: don't buy an awd mazda.

our '11 (72k miles) is at the dealer right now and just got a new transfer case under their extended warranty for 2010-2014 awd cx-9s.

the service adviser said the replacement part is exactly the same as the original. in 2014 i was at the dealer service desk behind a lady that was told her transfer case needed to be replaced and they had them in stock because "we replace a lot of them".

the adviser told me today he has seen it as early as 30k miles and they do replace them all the time; for the cx-9 and cx-7.

i wouldn't mind if they had redesigned the part but i can't find anything that says they have. i'll be trading mine in at some point in the next year or two.

our '11 (72k miles) is at the dealer right now and just got a new transfer case under their extended warranty for 2010-2014 awd cx-9s.

the service adviser said the replacement part is exactly the same as the original. in 2014 i was at the dealer service desk behind a lady that was told her transfer case needed to be replaced and they had them in stock because "we replace a lot of them".

the adviser told me today he has seen it as early as 30k miles and they do replace them all the time; for the cx-9 and cx-7.

i wouldn't mind if they had redesigned the part but i can't find anything that says they have. i'll be trading mine in at some point in the next year or two.

It sounds like key to reliability on these is to replace the fluid every 20-25K miles.

It sounds like key to reliability on these is to replace the fluid every 20-25K miles.

Yep, (iagree) you hit the nail on the head "key to reliability on these is to replace the fluid every 20-25K miles FROM NEW CAR OWNERSHIP"

and don't buy a used AWD CX-9 without testing the transfer case; its a crapshoot to what kind of maintenance or lack of maintenance it went thru;

unless the buyer knows the seller and knows for a fact that the car was well maintained.

Last edited:

No, the key here is if you're not willing to go against Mazda and the dealerships total lie that the transfer case fluid is a lifetime fluid then don't buy a Mazda (or Ford) AWD vehicle. If you change the fluid yourself (or find an independent shop willing to do it) every 20-25k the transfer case is just as reliable as any other vehicle.

It's sad that Mazda and Ford continue to refuse to admit this fluid is not lasting anywhere near the lifetime they predicted and would rather just keep swapping transfer cases under warranty or hitting customers for a $2k repair.

Last edited:
and don't buy a used AWD CX-9 without testing the transfer case; its a crapshoot to what kind of maintenance or lack of maintenance it went thru;

which is why i would not recommend a used cx-9 awd to anyone.

and why i told my wife last night we will be trading ours in, in the next 20k miles.

again, if they had redesigned and improved the transfer case i would keep it, but they are replacing it with the same old junk.

probably just coincidence but i did tow a medium sized trailer for the first time (with the cx-9) this summer. wasn't even loaded that heavy and for no more than 60 miles.

Last edited:
there is an instance documented on here and also an instance quoted to me by the service adviser yesterday of them failing at 30k miles. changing the fluid at 25k isn't gonna help that. might buy you a few thousand more but i doubt the damage was done in the last 5k.

yeah, mine lasted 72k miles. not bad (considering what other people are experiencing). and if i knew for a fact the next one i got would last that long then i'd risk another 50k or so. but there seems to be no consistent pattern other than they WILL fail.

If you change the fluid yourself (or find an independent shop willing to do it) every 20-25k the transfer case is just as reliable as any other vehicle.

Last edited:
there is an instance documented on here and also an instance quoted to me by the service adviser yesterday of them failing at 30k miles. changing the fluid at 25k isn't gonna help that. might buy you a few thousand more but i doubt the damage was done in the last 5k.

yeah, mine lasted 72k miles. not bad (considering what other people are experiencing). and if i knew for a fact the next one i got would last that long then i'd risk another 50k or so. but there seems to be no consistent pattern other than they WILL fail.

just my 2 cents, I first changed my transfer case oil @38,000 miles, since then I've been changing the transfer case regularly since I brought the car new and just hit 90,000 miles on my original transfer case that came with the car, still drives as smooth as day one. (I change the transfer case oil the same time I change the engine oil every 6000K).

I also flush my transmission per schedule and maintain all the drive train fluids. Also, I make sure to rotate my tires regularly for even tire wear, AWD are very sensitive to uneven tire wear. Not sure if it matters or not, but I've never towed anything before.

Last edited:
when i consider maintenance items i consider a lot of things. diy ability, cost of maintenance, cost of repair/replace, statistical data, and yeah, some anecdotal stories.

i hope everyone's PTU lasts forever! but there are just reports everywhere of them failing.

contrast this to bmw's lifetime transmission fluid. so many members swear bmw defines lifetime as 100k miles. no one can point to any documentation for that. and, oddly enough, bmw recommends replacing the spark plugs at 100k miles... so... they either also consider spark plugs lifetime... or they say you should replace the spark plugs on an otherwise near death (or dead) car....

but anyway... you almost NEVER hear of their transmissions failing. our 2006 e90 has 162k miles and never had the transmission fluid replaced. (they charge waayyyy too much for what is a fairly easy task.)

my wife gave her (bought new) 2000 cherokee to her father and it has 190k miles and the only fluid that has been replaced is oil and brake fluid. everything else is original and as i recall the diff fluid is supposed to be replaced every 30k miles. (we may have done coolant at some point, i can't say for sure.)

i say all that to say... whatever the cause, whatever the reason, the PTUs in these cars are very prone to failure. and the cost is too expensive and the interval is simply too random to predict. i LOVE the car but i don't want this monkey on my back.

i wanted to do a poll on how many have had a failure after performing fluid changes vs those who have never changed the fluid but i can't figure out how to set up the poll.

just my 2 cents and then some.

i really feel bad because my neighbor JUST bought a brand new 2015 awd cx-9 partly because of how much we (and he) like ours. but at least he has a full powertrain warranty. i knew if i told him (he is like me) it was gonna bother him but i had to warn him...

Last edited:
So they extended the warranty on the 2010- 2014 models, what about the 2007 to 2009 awd's. Are these transfer cases not prone to failure according to them. I think that the warranty should have been extended to all models to 10 years since they claim that it is lifetime fluid.

With those other "lifetime" fluid cars you mentioned you're not talking about a half a quart of fluid like you are with these transfer cases. It's a bad design, but saying "Definitely don't buy one" just because you're too lazy to change it every 20-25k is a little extreme.

did you just call me lazy?

...just because you're too lazy...

you did!

may be the very first time anyone has ever called me that...

...but saying...

i don't think i said what you are saying i said.

what i did say was that with transfer cases failing at 30k miles changing the fluid at 25k doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

please do not further attribute claims to me that are untrue.

Last edited:
...... transfer cases failing at 30k miles changing the fluid at 25k doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

that's how I read S197GT's original statement as well , I didn't read it as a slight to what members are trying to do prevent failures.
what S197GT makes sense, if we see transfer failures at 30K, changing at 25K may be too long of a wait
(that's why I recommend 6000 mile changes because 1/2 a quart oil is so little)

some may argue "but changing every 6000 miles is a pain in the a$$ and it's not right" (but most people are already doing that with the engine oil anyway and that's 5 quarts of oil !!! we are talking about 1/2 a quart here for the transfer case) .... what can i say, it's one of the pet peeves of owning an AWD, all my previous AWD SUVs needed transfer case maintenance,

the CX-9 is the first I've seen without a drain plug, we are where we are because Mazda won't step up to the plate, and a quart of transfer case oil is ~$18, so each change at 6000K costs me $9 , I would gladly pay that than a new transmission.

if you read my how to procedure, I stated I felt I waited too long to do my very first transfer case at 38,000 miles
knowing what I know now, I would probably have done it at 15,000 miles but trust me when I say I am not mechanically inclined at all,
and I waited and waited until I got more info or hoped someone would post a how to procedure, no one did,
so I just jumped in the deep end and try to figure it out myself and posted my procedure to help everyone out.

But so far, I've been lucky, ** knock on wood ** after the 38,000, I religiously changed every 6,000 miles,
my odometer is at 90,018 miles now with no problems. hopes this provide some confidence to members that
there is benefit to changing the transfer case oil. I would be the first to report if there's any leaks, whining or grinding noises
but there hasn't been any, the car still runs as smooth as the day I drove off the dealer's lot.

Last edited:
we are where we are because Mazda won't step up to the plate, and a quart of transfer case oil is ~$18, so each change at 6000K costs me $9

Actually its Ford. Not Mazda. As the 1st gen CX9 is a Ford, with a Mazda badge. All mechanicals are Ford designed and sourced. This is one reason why i personally cant wait for the 2nd gen to be released. As more then likely ill be trading my current CX9 in on one.

monoxidechil, do you know where the engine will come from? i am not talking about the turbo 4, i would like to know where they are going to source a v6 from. Also do you know about the rest of this new 9. I was wondering about the hump that someone mentioned in the second row. I am wondering if they moved the transfer case so that it can be serviceable. Any info you have on the new 9's mechanicals please share. If the 6 is either a mazda engine or another like a toyota engine i will be right behind you in trading mine in as well.

Back