Stutter at startup

ihaveworms

:
CX-5
Hey guys, I am back with another question. So far I have had my 2016 CX-5 for 3 days. I have noticed on more than one occasion that when starting the car it seems to struggle to start. The RPMs do not surge once it is started, it idles normally. It has been around 58F when I am starting, so not super cold. I can't remember for certain, but I think it has even done this when already warm. Also, yesterday when I went to start it, it cracked for a second like it was trying to start and just stopped. I had to press the button again to try and start it again and it did start the second time. I am used to my 2013 genesis coupe where I quickly press the button and it cranks until it successfully starts. Do I have to hold down the button on the Mazda until it is running? I have been quickly pressing the button and not holding it down.

Continue to hold the button until the engine "catches", then release. Hard to believe Hyundais are any different, but if you say so...

Also, yesterday when I went to start it, it cracked for a second like it was trying to start and just stopped. I had to press the button again to try and start it again and it did start the second time. I am used to my 2013 genesis coupe where I quickly press the button and it cranks until it successfully starts. Do I have to hold down the button on the Mazda until it is running? I have been quickly pressing the button and not holding it down.

You should not hold down the start button, just press it briefly. It is necessary to continue pressing the brake until it starts. Releasing the brake prematurely will cancel the start command. It should crank long enough to start. If you are not releasing the brake before it starts, it does sound like your engine might have an issue and you should have it checked at your shop. My CX-5 has never failed to start when I've pushed the Start button, nor does it sound like it's struggling to start - it starts like a happy puppy.

But do confirm you are not releasing the brake before it's running.

Last edited:
Continue to hold the button until the engine "catches", then release. Hard to believe Hyundais are any different, but if you say so...

That's not necessary, the start button is computerized on all new cars AFAIK, no longer is the start switch connected directly to the starter solenoid.

That's not necessary, the start button is computerized on all new cars AFAIK, no longer is the start switch connected directly to the starter solenoid.
I'll check this next time I drive it. It's such an unconscious procedure with me I may be misconstruing what actually occurs.

I press the button like I press any other button in the car. Press and let it go. Works with no issue. Holding the start button until the engine turns also works.

You should not hold down the start button, just press it briefly. It is necessary to continue pressing the brake until it starts. Releasing the brake prematurely will cancel the start command. It should crank long enough to start. If you are not releasing the brake before it starts, it does sound like your engine might have an issue and you should have it checked at your shop. My CX-5 has never failed to start when I've pushed the Start button, nor does it sound like it's struggling to start - it starts like a happy puppy.

But do confirm you are not releasing the brake before it's running.

Thanks for the tip. I may have released my foot from the brake without knowing it. I will try that next time I go to start the car.

Thanks for the tip. I may have released my foot from the brake without knowing it. I will try that next time I go to start the car.

Common problem with new ownership - you need to hold the brake until the engine fully starts, not just for the button press. I had that issue for the first few days, and my g/f did it with her 3 for the first few days.

Back