Studder under WOT Fix!!!??

Rican219

:
MazdaSpeed 6
Thanx Whoosh!

I found this thread on the "other forum" from the member driver311
he has a modded MS3 and has a lot of good ideas and information

here is a short cut/pasted part of his initial post
So I set a mission for myself today when I got off work. Figure out why the hell my car is sputtering at wot.
Then i started thinking about my previous cars and what if any problems were similar to this and what it took to fix it. I remembered that once i hit about 28psi in my evo it would do something very similar. It was spark blowing out. Well the fix for that was new plugs and taking apart the stock coils and stretching the spring inside each individual coil so that you could get a better contact. So on a wim I decided to give it a try. I pulled apart each coil and stretched the spring just a little. Enough to where it took a little bit of effort to get it back together. Put it all back together and went for a drive. TO MY SUPRISE IT DIDNT SPUTTER!!!!! So i turned the boost up to 18psi and still no sputter. Oh s*** did i stumble upon something or what? I was so stoked. Then for s**** I turned the boost up to 20psi and to my suprise still no sputter. So i headed home and put the ets tmic back on, and the sri. Went for some pulls and man the car is straight up MOBBING at 18-20psi. Air fuels were around 10.4 which means there is room for more. I cant wait to get my full turbo back on this hog and hit the dyno. The best part is it pulls all the way to redline and boost holds strong.

Im not saying this is gonna be a fix for everyone but it worked for me. Do me a favor if you are sputtering at wot, give this a try and tell me if it helps it.

Okay, I was thinking to myself that this simple mod would NOT correct my 2nd to 3rd gear WOT sputter >>> but it did!!!!

It took less than 10 minutes
I removed the 8mm hold down screws from the coil on plugs
you'll notice where the plastic and rubber meet about 3-4 inches from the bottom of the coil on plug. pull and twist to seperate the sleeve from the coil
there is a spring laying in there which is only held in place by these two pieces being pressed together
the spring is thin and tightly wound on both ends....leave the ends alone
concentrate on the center of the spring where it is think and heavily wound
I stretched mine 2-3 inches IN THE CENTER
so much that I had to crefully seat both ends in the coil/sleeve and "carefully" sandwich back together
I didn't disconnect the battery of even disconnect the coil on plugs from the harness to do this.
For those with TMIC's it will take 10 minutes + the time to remove your top mount IC

I would have taken pics and walked everyone through this but I honestly didn't think it would work
if anyone needs help trying this just let me know
As driver311 said at the tail end of his 1st post
this may not fix everyone's issues with sputter and studdering but it fixed mine
I am honestly in disbelief that this simple mod fixed my issue from 2nd to 3rd when at WOT

I've tried to reproduce my 2nd to 3rd sputter twice this morning and it is simply just not present any more
I'm going to test it more tonight but so far so good and I have to give huge amounts of Kudos to driver311 for putting this out there for us to try

Pics and steps I took I haven't driven it yet but I will post when I do.

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]step 1: remove intercooler cover (2 10mm bolts)
step 2: remove hoses from bypass valve (2 hose clamps)
step 3: remove intercooler (3 12mm? bolts and 2 hose clamps, do the clamp going from cold pipe to tube, not the clamp on throttle body)
step 4: remove coil packs (4 8mm bolts)
step 5: seperate rubber housing to reveal spring
step 6: stretch spring
step 7: put back together and enjoy.[/FONT]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]
100_1667.jpg

100_1666.jpg

100_1668.jpg

100_1669.jpg

100_1673.jpg

100_1675.jpg

100_1678.jpg
[/FONT]

I was extremely excited and hopeful as I've been reading the success stories of this mod...
But I may be the first I've seen to fall in the category of "doesn't work for everyone"

This weekend I did it exactly as described above, but I'm still getting the same stuttering after each shift at WOT... :(

Runingjon,
Did you change out the spark plugs? Maybe new spark plugs and shortening the spark plug gap.

I wouldnt go any closer than .030. i tried .025 and the car didnt like it. Im glad this fix is working for alot of peeps. I also went one stg colder ngks.

hmm. i'll have to try this. driver311, do you have the exact ngk plug numbers? the douches at advance don't like to give me what i ask for unless i have numbers.

Runingjon,
Did you change out the spark plugs? Maybe new spark plugs and shortening the spark plug gap.

I didn't change them as they looked pretty good, and they only had ~30k miles on them. I did, however check and regap them.
All four were near the upper limit of the Factory Range (.034-.035 if I remember correctly) I moved them back to .030 so they'd be right about the middle of the range.

Last edited:
haha this is awesome although i didnt have an issue like this when i was at the track nor around town at WOT.. the only issue ive had previously was under heavy load on the turbo like say in 6th gear going up a hill at 2700rpm coming on boost the car would stutter.. but since ive had the FMIC it doesnt do it.. im gonna try this mod anyway maybe ill see a difference even though i dont have this issue.

this forum is 6 months behind

I installed 1 step colder NGK's last summer and was questioned to no end
"you don't need those"
"you'll foul them out"
blah blah blah
mine are gapped at .032

the factory gap is with certainty - .31 +/-.01
and the part number is LTR7IX-11
what's really funny but no surprise to me is now PG and SU sell them(overpriced) like this is new news lol

what's really funny but no surprise to me is now PG and SU sell them(overpriced) like this is new news lol

I'm just waiting for them to release their new high performance coils. FTW!!! (rockon)
Billy Ray said they should be ready any day now. I can't click refresh fast enough! (nailbyt)

(silly)

Back