Strut Replacement

:
Mazda Protege5
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and I need new struts. I think the car has been lowered, but I am not sure? First, I would like to know how to tell if it has been lowered? I use this car as my daily driver and I would like a nice ride without loosing the fillings in my teeth! Can I have suggestions on what brand of struts to use and any other parts I might need for this job? I have read posts about getting Mooge Strut top Bearings. Is there any other parts needed? I have used the search function and looked through the forums for several hours now, I just cant make sense out of it all! Protege cars are different then the Protege 5 wagon.....so much info I have a headache! Please give me hand in figuring this all out, so I can get the repair done right and only have to do it once!

Thank You!

Hello everyone, I have a 2003 Mazda Protege 5 and I need new struts. I think the car has been lowered, but I am not sure? First, I would like to know how to tell if it has been lowered? I use this car as my daily driver and I would like a nice ride without loosing the fillings in my teeth! Can I have suggestions on what brand of struts to use and any other parts I might need for this job? I have read posts about getting Mooge Strut top Bearings. Is there any other parts needed? I have used the search function and looked through the forums for several hours now, I just cant make sense out of it all! Protege cars are different then the Protege 5 wagon.....so much info I have a headache! Please give me hand in figuring this all out, so I can get the repair done right and only have to do it once!

Thank You!
Moog strut tops are good. Most of the oem replacement struts will be fine. If you want a smoother ride, you'll need to go back to stock springs. I have a set if you want to buy them. Very good condition.

Quick strut assemblies are the way to go, save the hassle of buying separate parts and messing around with a spring compressor. KYB or Monroe are good choices. Monroe has a rebate offer until the end of July on struts and assemblies, it usually amounts to buy 3 get the 4th free.

You might as well pick up sway bar links too if they haven't been taken off recently. The internal hex will strip out and the joint will just spin, forcing you to cut them off.

These cars have a pretty stiff ride from the factory, don't expect them to ride like a Cadillac.

Thank you Jackie chan and MrGiggles for the relpies and info. I was able to get my car on a lift and found the PO had done some mods to it. It has the blue Tokico struts with Eibach Pro Kit springs. Also the rear sway bar is an AutoPro with adjustable end links. The car is a little to low for me, but the ride is TERRIBLE! Like the Mazda Mini truck my friend had in High School, was almost touching the ground and looked cool...... I swear, if you hit anything higher then two pennies stacked together.... you hit a 2 foot deep pot hole! Thats what I want to get rid of! What are your thoughts on a set of Tein H tech springs with KYB struts? Thank you for your help and insight on this P5!

Thank you Jackie chan and MrGiggles for the relpies and info. I was able to get my car on a lift and found the PO had done some mods to it. It has the blue Tokico struts with Eibach Pro Kit springs. Also the rear sway bar is an AutoPro with adjustable end links. The car is a little to low for me, but the ride is TERRIBLE! Like the Mazda Mini truck my friend had in High School, was almost touching the ground and looked cool...... I swear, if you hit anything higher then two pennies stacked together.... you hit a 2 foot deep pot hole! Thats what I want to get rid of! What are your thoughts on a set of Tein H tech springs with KYB struts? Thank you for your help and insight on this P5!

Monroe quick strut assemblies will be closest to the factory ride.

Back