Strange vibration when pulling in and out of a driveway

leanrivas

:
2016 Mazda CX 5 GT
Hi guys!

I just got my 2016 mazda cx5 gt a month ago and i really do love everything about it. Never was a mazda fan til now. :)

Anyway, question, i've noticed that when i pull in a driveway, where road from the main one is kinda like going down then suddenly going up (i dont know if you guys get the picture I'm tryna to describe) i kinda notice that there is this weird vibration from the wheels maybe? I really cant pin point but it usually happens when i hit a bump that is similar from what i described. I dont feel it in cars like civic and the like. It's my first tome driving a crossover so i wanna think it's heavier that's why it makes that kind of vibration? This is only when i pull in fast.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Lean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your description isn't very clear, but my guess is you are feeling the low-speed hand-off from the torque converter (which only operates up to 5 mph) to the gearbox. I can feel it every time I climb my short, inclined driveway. Feels a bit jerky, but it's the price you pay for a super efficient automatic that doesn't get all herky-jerky in parking lots or traffic jambs like many double-clutch units do.

I was wondering this myself. And what Paris1 said describes my situation: My driveway goes up a steep incline to my garage. To access my lawn mower, I need to back out my car to rest on part of the incline to get the mower out without touching the car. Once I have the car stopped, I set the e-break, take the mower out and then get back into the car. I release the e-break and as I press the gass I can feel a bit of the jerky torque. Almost like my wheels are stabilizing on the uneven ground before I take off. After that, I pull up the driveway and everything feels normal. I'm coming from an RX-8, so not used to a cross-over, so this felt a little strange at first. Maybe this is something that is quite common for folks who've had a car like this in the past.

I was wondering this myself. And what Paris1 said describes my situation: My driveway goes up a steep incline to my garage. To access my lawn mower, I need to back out my car to rest on part of the incline to get the mower out without touching the car. Once I have the car stopped, I set the e-break, take the mower out and then get back into the car. I release the e-break and as I press the gass I can feel a bit of the jerky torque. Almost like my wheels are stabilizing on the uneven ground before I take off. After that, I pull up the driveway and everything feels normal. I'm coming from an RX-8, so not used to a cross-over, so this felt a little strange at first. Maybe this is something that is quite common for folks who've had a car like this in the past.
Actually, what you describe here is more likely to be the hill start assist feature, which keeps the vehicle from rolling back on a hill for a few seconds so that you have time to get off the brake and on to the gas.

....i kinda notice that there is this weird vibration from the wheels maybe? I really cant pin point but it usually happens when i hit a bump that is similar from what i described....

I get something like this when front wheels go across the metal strip/bar in our gated community. Feels like wheel hop but only going 5-7 mph and not on the accelerator at all, just rolling through the gate.

Actually, what you describe here is more likely to be the hill start assist feature, which keeps the vehicle from rolling back on a hill for a few seconds so that you have time to get off the brake and on to the gas.

Ahh, yes, that makes sense. Haven't felt it but only when on incline if driveway. Then again, I'm not stopped often enough on a big incline to have previously noticed.

The description you guys are telling are the exact one I'm experiencing. So maybe it really is just a part of how it's engineered. That kinda gives me a peace of mind 'cause i thought it was a defect in my car. Still a bit frustrated with the slight vibration of the driver's side mirror tho. But i'll just leave it.

I get something like this when front wheels go across the metal strip/bar in our gated community. Feels like wheel hop but only going 5-7 mph and not on the accelerator at all, just rolling through the gate.

This is exactly what i'm describing. It kinda feels like a chatter or a bobblehead effect doesnt it? But i guess Paris1 got a point.

I just thought it was a defect but thanks for your insights guys!

Back