Strange sound while braking....

2016 CX-5. Strange creaking like sound coming from front of the car while braking. It happens at the very end of braking when car comes to a complete stop. I just came back from the Mazda dealer where one of the mechanics went for a short drive with me and said that this sounds is most likely a brake pads having problems sliding on the disk and may have to be resurfaced both pads and the rotors possible. I have an appointment next week with Mazda to have it check. What are your opinions on it. Here is the sound of this.

2016 CX-5. Strange creaking like sound coming from front of the car while braking. It happens at the very end of braking when car comes to a complete stop. I just came back from the Mazda dealer where one of the mechanics went for a short drive with me and said that this sounds is most likely a brake pads having problems sliding on the disk and may have to be resurfaced both pads and the rotors possible. I have an appointment next week with Mazda to have it check. What are your opinions on it. Here is the sound of this.

Yeah, how many miles on your 2016 CX-5?

It didnt sound like the brake noise from front. Its more like some loose suspension parts or something else.

Only 19,800 K. Got it couple of months ago as a CPO.

Any chance there was a tire dressing sprayed on at the car wash, or detailer or something where some overspray could have gotten onto the rotor?

My first choice of attack would be remove the wheels, and to wash/flush the front pads and wipe down the rotors with some brake cleaner spray.
Hopefully degreasing and removing any contamination on the pad or rotor surfaces.

Get them hot by repeated stops on a quiet road. You can comfortably get them smelling or even an odd wisp of smoke but don*t go any further and then go immediately into a cooling period of normal driving for a few miles. It*s a phenomenon called *creep groan* by a lot of vehicle manufacturers and as some above have hinted it*s a disc and pad contamination issue which can be caused by resin and friction material transferring onto the disc (rotor) giving a stick/slip condition. Tends to be more prominent creeping down hill in traffic. You will burn the outer layer off with the above process and it will go but low duty like the car has seen will bring it back eventually. Disc pads enjoy work but they will wear out quicker.

Last edited:
Any chance there was a tire dressing sprayed on at the car wash, or detailer or something where some overspray could have gotten onto the rotor?

My first choice of attack would be remove the wheels, and to wash/flush the front pads and wipe down the rotors with some brake cleaner spray.
Hopefully degreasing and removing any contamination on the pad or rotor surfaces.

Don't recall anything like that. Next week Mazda dealer will take a look at it for me. Mechanic said it may be faulty pads.

You will burn the outer layer off with the above process and it will go but low duty like the car has seen will bring it back eventually.

I'm on track to put about 8,000 miles/year on my CX-5, and there are very few of them in any traffic to speak of (as I've said before, 16 miles to my bank with only 2 stop signs along the way). Is this something I should anticipate happening because of minimal brake use?

I put less than that on my Canyon the first 5 years I had it, but it was all in-town, stop & go stuff. Is this a Mazda thing or is it universal?

I've never heard of it, but I've always lived in high stop & go areas.

I'm on track to put about 8,000 miles/year on my CX-5, and there are very few of them in any traffic to speak of (as I've said before, 16 miles to my bank with only 2 stop signs along the way). Is this something I should anticipate happening because of minimal brake use?

I put less than that on my Canyon the first 5 years I had it, but it was all in-town, stop & go stuff. Is this a Mazda thing or is it universal?

Not sure my friend, but I've never had this happened to any of me previous cars. I think its the quality of brake parts these days.

It*s a CPO, take it back to your Mazda dealer and let them fix the problem under CPO warranty.

I will next week I have an appointment to do just that. Just not sure if it will be covered under the CPO. From what I just learned here, I can just remove both pads and even them out with a grinder or even replace both rotors and pads myself. I'll see how it goes, if they can do the same gratis I'll go for it but if they suggest replacing pads and resurface rotors I may refuse their suggestion. Will see. Thanks

Not sure my friend, but I've never had this happened to any of me previous cars. I think its the quality of brake parts these days.

Gotcha.

I'm in a brave new world here.

I lived in the DC area for almost 50 years, and have not only moved to the country, I'm also retired. So I don't drive every day, and when I do, there is no traffic and everything is far away. No stop & go...just <i>go!</i>

I've been here 10 years and have yet to service the brakes on my daily driver truck.

Most cars do it a little bit so if it isnt bothering you, dont worry about it. Friction materials do however stay healthiest when they see heat and if they do get hot after a long period of low duty, they will be noticeably better in performance. Its what race car drivers call conditioning when the go and get them hot before a race. All getting them hot does is firstly, burn all the muck and debris off then continues to start degrading the resin binder system to expose the abrasives contained in the friction material. The only thing to consider is that wear increases exponentially with temperature so while working them will get the best from them, you might only get a couple of years which in fact is the target life as laid down by design.

Back