Strange noise 98 Protege

My g/f has got a 4 door 98 model. At about 1700-2000 RPM's with the clutch out (in gear/moving) there is this strange "metallic" noise. Sounds sort of like a grinding. At the same RPM level, with the clutch pressed in, there is no noise. It only does it at this RPM range, if you speed up or slow down, it stops completely. It's obviously a transmission problem of some sort, but I don't know what. Has anybody heard of this before? Throw out bearing?? I'm at a loss..

well, I had a weird noise with my 98 es, but it's auto, so I don't know, might be different. My problem was an axle seal.

shoelesscraig said:
My g/f has got a 4 door 98 model. At about 1700-2000 RPM's with the clutch out (in gear/moving) there is this strange "metallic" noise. Sounds sort of like a grinding. At the same RPM level, with the clutch pressed in, there is no noise. It only does it at this RPM range, if you speed up or slow down, it stops completely. It's obviously a transmission problem of some sort, but I don't know what. Has anybody heard of this before? Throw out bearing?? I'm at a loss..

Are you sure it's not from a vibrating heat shield?

Back