Strange lurch while driving...any ideas?

jonlong

:
2003.5 Black MP5
Every now and then my car seems to lurch while I'm driving. It's only happened 3 or 4 times in the past 2 months. For example, I was on the highway today driving about 55mph and the car seemed to suddenly lose and regain power. It almost feels like tapping the brake and then accelerating very quickly. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Losing Power

jonlong said:
Every now and then my car seems to lurch while I'm driving. It's only happened 3 or 4 times in the past 2 months. For example, I was on the highway today driving about 55mph and the car seemed to suddenly lose and regain power. It almost feels like tapping the brake and then accelerating very quickly. Any ideas what could be causing this?

I have had the same problem, but i have been getting the check engine light on, I am starting to think it is the Mass air flow sensor acting up

Jason

Interesting, I haven't seen a CEL yet. If you're getting the CEL and the lurch, could definitely be a MAF problem, or maybe even a misfire?

if you mean that the car feels like its moving back and forth while driving and not a power loss then i would say the rear engine mount is torn, i went through that and when i changed the mount the movement stopped.

If the CEL is on get it checked to verify the specific code. No CEL I would check the motor mounts and spark plugs. It could be a minor mifire that could be rare enough to not throw a CEL.

Back