Straight 6 skyactiv-x engine in development

Will it debut after the new RX9 in 2017?

Seriously, I'd not count on anything until you can pre-order from the dealer and they are accepting money down. Even then.

I would be happy with a 2.5 Sky-X but think a Straight 6- Sky-X would do just fine. Just fine.

Straight six skyactiv-x engine on RWD/AWD platform? Damn.

Oh nice. I have always loved the straight six. I wonder if theyre going to do a staggered narrow angle like VW. Or maybe SkyactivX just packages easier than Skyactiv 1.

can't wait, the current turbo is great in the cx-5 but that same engine in the cx-9 needs more ooomphf!
So development of this new engine will be great for the bigger cars in their lineup.
Can't wait to get one.

I wonder if Skyactiv X has a per cylinder displacement limitation. There is good reason 2.0 I 4 is so common and why BMW does 1.5 I3, 2.0 I4, and 3.0 I6.

I wonder if a Sky-6 would get similar mileage to a 2.5NA? That would be amazing.

According to what Ive heard, this engine will be the 2.5 with two more cylinders added , modular style. So it comes out as a 3.0 liter.

It will be intriguing. The SA 4 bangers are already smooth running. A six should be sweet

According to what Ive heard, this engine will be the 2.5 with two more cylinders added , modular style. So it comes out as a 3.0 liter.

It will be intriguing. The SA 4 bangers are already smooth running. A six should be sweet

2.5L with two more cylinders would make a 3.75L. I think you meant 2.0L? But I agree completely, an inline 6 would definitely be sweet. The inherent balance of an inline 6 feels so refined. The NA 3.0L inline 6's from BMW are fantastic. Good low end torque, and the power delivery is very linear all the way to redline. They sound great too.

Had an inline 6 with Overhead Cam in my Pontiac Firebird. Great engine except for the fact that it burned oil.

Back