Stock Wastegate actuator is adjustable?

sirmudge

:
Blazing Yellow Mica 2003.5 MSP #1291
So i was browsing Crossover auto performance and found a OEM Mazdaspeed protege wastegate actuator, but it says that it has an adjustable rod to set the boost exactly to factory specs. Does this mean the stock wastegate actuator in my car is adjustable and if so why would anyone get a manual boost controller?

When I pulled out my stock WGA and replaced it with the ATP, I didn't see anything that would lead me to believe it was adjustable. Just how would one be adjustable anyway?

The only thing I could see is the length of the rod being adjustable, but that doesn't really affect boost. There is really only one length that works so that the WGA is mounted properly and the WG is fully closed when there is no pressure on the WGA.

BTW, anyone have a clever way to keep the rod from rattling? It's just held onto the WG lever with a pin so it is free to wiggle a bit and rattle. Perhaps if the rod was a little longer it would press against the lever at rest, although too long and your wastegate would be cracked at zero pressure and your spool would be awful. Maybe this is what they mean by adjustable.

My bad. I apologise for providing false info. When I bought my ride the wastegate had already been replace once before with something different( non-adjustable rod ). The only adjustable wastegate that I know of ( boost wise ) is the forge wastegate and you have to change out the springs with that one.

Last edited:
So i know the proper way to adjust boost pressure is to use a manual or electric boost controller, but why is it bad to adjust boost via the waste gate?

You can set it too tight or too lose. Preferred boost control is with an EBC, MBCs aren't a good idea with an FSDE.

Back