steering with your foot

piotrek91

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
I've been playing a game while driving around lately.

The game is to only turn the wheel once per corner and make all mid corner adjustments via the throttle.

The CX-5's excellent throttle response make it very easy to do and this technique results in much smoother cornering than making adjustments with the wheel.
If you're turning too much.. add a little throttle, if not enough slightly let off.
Even with the 2.0L there is more than enough torque in 6th gear at 45MPH to make very a very noticeable difference in the line the car takes.

I wonder how well this "game" works with AWD?
Good luck trying this if you have a CVT :) (mango)

I've been playing a game while driving around lately.

The game is to only turn the wheel once per corner and make all mid corner adjustments via the throttle.

The CX-5's excellent throttle response make it very easy to do and this technique results in much smoother cornering than making adjustments with the wheel.
If you're turning too much.. add a little throttle, if not enough slightly let off.
Even with the 2.0L there is more than enough torque in 6th gear at 45MPH to make very a very noticeable difference in the line the car takes.

I wonder how well this "game" works with AWD?
Good luck trying this if you have a CVT :) (mango)
I think because there is no front LSD, you will wear your tires more doing this. If you're gentle on the throttle and avoid spinning the inside tires when cornering, then I think it will be fine though.

I believe it will work a lot better with AWD because of the ability to split torque and the LSD that they have.

I think because there is no front LSD, you will wear your tires more doing this. If you're gentle on the throttle and avoid spinning the inside tires when cornering, then I think it will be fine though.

I believe it will work a lot better with AWD because of the ability to split torque and the LSD that they have.

The thing about the Mazda is that I can steer with the throttle in 6th gear at 45MPH+
The only thing quickly spinning at that speed/gear with the 2.0L is the second hand on my watch :) but the weight transfer caused by the throttle can make a pretty noticeable difference in the line the car takes.

The car responds very nicely to minor changes.. like going from say 25% throttle to 40%.

I also do it in 2nd/3rd gear for on ramps and that definitely involves some extra tire wear :)

I'm so confused by this post.

Regardless of what you're doing with your foot, shouldn't you always only turn the wheel once in a corner? If you're turning more than once, or having to adjust your throttle mid-corner, you butchered corner entry.

Maybe that's the race-driver in me speaking...

Last edited:

Regardless of what you're doing with your foot, shouldn't you always only turn the wheel once in a corner? If you're turning more than once, or having to adjust your throttle mid-corner, you butchered corner entry.

He's talking about controlling the line mid-corner using just the throttle. So my guess is, steering input stays the same and while he plays with the throttle to control the line.

Maybe on a race track it's possible to enter a corner so perfectly that zero adjustments are needed, but on the road corners are often not perfect arches the road surface is unpredictable and you can't choose the perfect line.
Adjustments are often needed.
In the CX-5 it's easy to make those micro adjustments via throttle instead of the steering wheel.

http://winhpde.com/driving-technique/throttle-steering/
In the CX-5, despite it's weak motor, minor weight transfers have noticeable effects at normal safe speeds, nowhere close to the limit.

He's talking about controlling the line mid-corner using just the throttle. So my guess is, steering input stays the same and while he plays with the throttle to control the line.

correct.

I do this to some extent, but not as "pure" as OP does. I include steering inputs, etc. too, because as noted, road surfaces.

Back