• Got Stuff to Sell or Buy? You can post an ad for free in our Marketplace, just follow the Rules. Thanks!
  • Mazdas247 is an Amazon Associate and earns from qualifying purchases.

Steam Cleaning Cloth Seats

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Have not found what I was looking for as far as steam cleaners used by fellow Mazda owners.. dog knocked over my wife’s water bottle and spilled about 8oz of water in the passenger seat.. after drying, can see the water stain. Anyone have any luck with a nice steamer? Looking to invest in something, as I plan to keep the car long term. Planning to spend somewhere in the ballpark of $300. Hope I’m not way off. Any suggestions?

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Sport FWD Auto
I don’t have a machine to recommend, but I’m a fan of Mothers upholstery cleaner. It gets my seats looking like new every time I use it, maybe 2x a year.

is there an airbag sensor located under the cloth of the passenger seat? I’m scared to apply more than a spritz if anything to car seats after a spilt drink broke the air bag sensor on my old 05 Focus. It would no longer detect an adult in the seat and disabled the passenger side airbag : (

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Awesome thanks for the recommendation. A fan of Mothers. I can safely say there is in fact a sensor under the seat, as my dog constantly sets it off. I can also safely say, it is still working even after spilling 8oz of water on it and letting it soak in while driving.. if I can’t find a steamer I’ll give the mothers cleaner a try.

BOOSTR

1 OWNR MSP
A good steamer cost way more than 300 bucks. That said you can buy some distilled water and white vinegar to remove the water ring. Any decent upholstery or rug cleaner should do the trick as well. Spray it on and wipe/blot the stain away with a microfiber. Water will brown out unless its dried properly ie air mover or fan.

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
Wanting to invest in a good one as water won’t always be the stain I’m dealing with - 3 week old baby now..

What’s a good one cost? $500, $1000?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Just to put it on folks radar screens, the 2019 models have an electrostatic sensor on the front seat for the air bags, not one that detects weight.

Front Passenger Occupant Classification Sensor
Your vehicle is equipped with a front passenger occupant classification sensor as a part of the supplemental restraint system. This sensor is equipped in the front passenger's seat cushion. This sensor measures the electrostatic capacity of the front passenger's seat.
Not certain about prior MYs, might make a different in how you decide to clean it. I would think that the capacitance sensing circuitry would be more sensitive to chemicals than one that detects weight.

Last edited:

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Wanting to invest in a good one as water won’t always be the stain I’m dealing with - 3 week old baby now..

What’s a good one cost? $500, $1000?
A good baby's gonna cost you way more than that!
I guess it's too late to worry about that now. ;)

j/k Congrats! Can't wait for the "Projectile vomit in my Sig" stories.

Amazon has a bunch of steam cleaners. There's a couple around $1,700 then a handful from $400-$1,000 and the rest from $100-$300.

I have no idea as to quality. I have one of those machines that puts out steam to loosen dirt (used it once to bend wood), but it's not a vacuum, just a kettle with a spout on the end.

Last edited:

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I've periodically just gotten my inside carpet and seats cleaned at a local car wash. One of those deals where you are sitting on plastic for a couple days lol.

:
2018 CX5 GT, Metallic Machine Gray and 2018 MX-5 RF GT, Soul Red
You may want to look at trying "Spot Shot" cleaner https://www.spotshot.com/. We have successfully used the aerosol spray on carpet and various cloth covered furniture to remove stains.

Wade

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
If money isn’t an object... From what I have read, the ladybug brand of steamers are arguably the best ones out there.

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
the "best" in any category is gonna be a LONG debate. what you should be asking is "what would get the job done at a reasonable price?"

while not a steamer this model has PLENTY of people online that swear by it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DBRFBK/?tag=m20b7-20

this one as well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q2MKX5C/?tag=m20b7-20

find it cheaper right now in refurb:

if anyone is new to cleaning a car properly what you are looking for is "car detailing" information.

of course that is a whole other rabbit hole to go down.. but you can't go wrong with starting at:

and reading all the threads at:
https://old.reddit.com/r/Detailing/ (a bit more relaxed)
https://old.reddit.com/r/AutoDetailing/ (a bit more obsessive)

Weekly Poll: Interested in the MX-30?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I want an Electric CX-3, 30, 5, 8 or 9

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I want an Electric Mazda2, 3, 6 or Miata

Votes: 1 5.3%