Spy Shots: 2008 Mazda 6

mikeyb

Contributor
:
01 BMW 325xi Touring
08.mazda.6.f34.500.jpg

Notice the wider front body panels used to cover up the additional width of the new chassis up front. The rear wheels are also noticeably wider as they barely fit underneath the flared wheel arches.

08.mazda6.r34.500.jpg

From this angle, it's clear there are some serious changes to this test mule's bodywork.

08.mazda6.det.500.jpg

The cutline across the back suggest an extended rear clip. Also notice the width of the B-pillar. It all adds up to a bigger, more spacious Mazda 6 for 2008.

Mazda's midsize sedan getting bigger for 2008

After a four-year run with the Mazda 6 on the market, Mazda is finally upgrading its midsize family sedan. Our latest spy photos show a development mule undergoing tests on the streets of Detroit. It's wearing current sheet metal, but we suspect it's riding on the chassis of the 2008 Mazda 6 sedan.

The prototype might not give away any styling details, but its strange appearance does give a few hints to some of the car's expected changes. For one, the next-generation Mazda 6 is going to be bigger. Originally designed for Japanese and European markets, the current model's narrow cabin and limited backseat room have been a constant source of criticism.

This prototype clearly has a wider track as the rear tires barely fit underneath the extended wheel arches. You can also see a cutline running over the rear-quarter panels and wider B-pillars which suggest this prototype is several inches longer than the current model. More width and length would be welcome upgrades as the 2007 Toyota Camry and 2007 Honda Accord both have significantly bigger cabins than the current Mazda 6.

Another major upgrade is expected under the hood. With only 215 horsepower, the current model's 3.0-liter V6 is no match for the V6s from Honda and Toyota. Even the Hyundai Sonata makes the Mazda look weak.

For 2008, we expect the next-generation Mazda 6 will upgrade to Ford's new 3.5-liter V6. This engine debuts in the Ford Edge and Lincoln Mark X crossovers this year as well as the Lincoln Mark Z sedan, a car which shares the Mazda 6's CD3 platform.

With 250 hp and 240 pound-feet of torque, the DOHC V6 won't exactly put Mazda at the top of the family sedan pecking order, but it won't be looking up from the bottom either. A six-speed automatic transmission should help make up for some of its lack of power versus the competition. Ford also claims the new engine can be easily upgraded with new technology like gasoline direct injection, a hybrid drive system, or a turbocharger for more power.

Although Mazda could use the help right now, we don't expect to see this new Mazda 6 for at least another year, probably longer. With two new crossovers hitting the market and a Mazdaspeed 3 on the way, the small Japanese company will need some time before it's ready to launch such a crucial car.

Hopefully the extra year will give Mazda engineers some time to tweak the V6 to give the new sedan the power it needs to compete. Expect to see the results sometime next spring.

source:http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109942#2

it looks the same because its an engineering mule. they usually do that to hide the redesign until they are ready to unveil it

they didn't even have a front fascia on yet. also looks like the headlights are smaller but have HID's. from side it looks same.

i think their just testing drivetrain. i mean didnt they use the MPV body for the CX-7 mule? BTW those headlights look to be RX-8 headlights.

yeah, the rear looked essentially identical.. we'll have to see more photos.

It'll be neat to see how the redesign goes over. But I don't like the idea of moving away from the smaller car.

(mswerd) the current 6 is already a bit too large for my tastes - I guess they want to compete with the maxima and accord blimps

i'd think a new bumper design for front and rear may be in order as well, since they a.) dont have the front on it, and as the tailpipes in the mule extend way beyond the one shown. also, do i see an intercooler?

edit: maybe it's just the condensor.

Last edited:
cablemirc said:
i'd think a new bumper design for front and rear may be in order as well, since they a.) dont have the front on it, and as the tailpipes in the mule extend way beyond the one shown. also, do i see an intercooler?

edit: maybe it's just the condensor.
I'd bet all the body panels change - it's a drivetrain/chassis mule with what existing panels they could get to fit

there's a wider track and longer body

nate0123 said:
(mswerd) the current 6 is already a bit too large for my tastes - I guess they want to compete with the maxima and accord blimps

I agree, and going larger isn't the right direction. You know the Euro version will not get bigger.

StuttersC said:
I agree, and going larger isn't the right direction. You know the Euro version will not get bigger.

with gas prices approching $3.50 a gallon this summer, and already heading that way, mazda should be thinking about bringing back the 323 hatchback from 90-94 with a modern redesign.. not about building 1950's buick sized mazda6's . then again, i'm prejudiced to that 'old' 323 design. ;)

Back