• Welcome to Mazdas247, the 24/7 Mazda Community and Resource. Learn about the benefits of becoming a Member here.
  • We're an Amazon Associate and eBay Partner. We earn from qualifying purchases.

SPEC clutch reviews

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
SPEC Stage 2 clutch reviews

I just purchased a SPEC Stage 2 clutch, but haven't installed it. I've heard from 3 forum members that theirs either slips, went bad very shortly after installation or otherwise. This was after doing research that stated these were actually very good clutches, so there is a conflict here.

EDIT: If you have had a SPEC Stage 2 clutch in your car or know of someone who's has experience with one, I would love to get first hand reviews of how it works/worked.

Last edited:
:
Turbo (soon) Yellow 2002 P5
ddogg77's 352 wheel HP P5 ran 12.007 @ 117 (4300 feet elevation in Salt Lake) and the Spec Clutch held up just fine for a bunch of passes and street driving.

JOMO

Seek..Attack..Destroy!
:
2003 mp5:( 1993 Miata
I had the spec stage 3 hybrid that MAM sells. It was awsome. Easier to push in then stock and grabbed really really hard. I heard about some people running the spec stage 2 and it slipping with proper break in. But you never know how people actually treated the clutch in the break in period.

I'm glad some of you have had good luck with these, but my car is one big pile of crap since I installed the Spec 2 clutch. It slips, smells, and is the most inconsistant performing clutch I have ever had. Reverse is a joke. The clutch make hideous noises and shutters like no other. I will NEVER buy these weak ass units again. Even Tri Point commented on how weak my clutch feels. Sell the Spec unit you have. PM JDMSAM for a good deal on a real clutch.

*yes i'm bitter about Spec* (poke)

BBSF2

16 PSI SLEEPER
Contributor
:
2002 protege es turbo
ive had the spec stage 2 clutch and spec lightweight flywheel for about 2 years now, have never had a problem with it at all. always grabs when it needs too, and in traffic, drives just as easy as the stock one did. it has never slipped on me once.
craig

avarela86

Now w/Vtec
:
Honda S2000
Well I have the Spec Stage 2 as well. I didn't even re-surface my flywheel that had 80k on the it with the stock clutch. We just wiped it up and cleaned it out and installed the new clutch and its been working great. Just like mentioned above. Grabs perfect when hauling butt. No hesitation like the stock one of course and isn't hard at all for street driving. Feels JUST like the stock clutch.

EDIT: Just want to add, the reason why I bought it was since it only cost me around 250 or less shipped brand new.(first) I love MSPROTEGE!!

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
strange...your post didn't show until after you sent me the pm reply (?). Thanks for the info. So far it seems I'm at 50/50 for and against specifically the Stage 2.

hoping for some more replies before making any rash decisions.

avarela86 said:
Well I have the Spec Stage 2 as well. I didn't even re-surface my flywheel that had 80k on the it with the stock clutch. We just wiped it up and cleaned it out and installed the new clutch and its been working great. Just like mentioned above. Grabs perfect when hauling butt. No hesitation like the stock one of course and isn't hard at all for street driving. Feels JUST like the stock clutch.

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
for those who had probs, did you have a Fidanza or aluminum flywheel? If not did you have your stock one resurfaced?

I used a brand new JDM Familia flywheel. I guess it weighs a few pounds less than the stock one.

Last edited:

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
in an effort to clear the air on this I called and spoke directly with SPEC. They *require* you either replace or resurface the flywheel prior to installing their clutch.

If you resurface the fw, you *must have it ground and not lathed.*--Don't forget to have it balanced too. If it's slipping and you lathed your fw then that's your problem. It must also be broken in for 500 miles in order to retain the 120 day warranty (which btw kicks in from date of purchase, and not date of installation).

If you did all of this and are still having problems, then there is a legitamate problem.

mspeedP5

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
My SPEC Stage II+ has been no problem at all. Totally streetable and gets the job done when I really want to put it to work.

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
mspeedP5 said:
My SPEC Stage II+ has been no problem at all. Totally streetable and gets the job done when I really want to put it to work.
did you either replace the fw or have it ground before installing the SPEC, and how many miles did you put on it before giving 'er hell?

BOOSTR

1 OWNR MSP
I have a Spec Stage 2 in my Probe. The original flywheel had 179,000 miles on it and it was resurfaced by a machine shop. The car has 213,000 miles on it now and has never slipped once. I waited the 400 miles that Spec called for before abusing it.

Maybe the production process has changed over the years. I have seen a few complaints on this forum about Spec clutches. Mine has handled every abusive situation that I have thrown at it and its otherwise perfectly streetable in normal driving situations.

mspeedP5

Contributor
:
'02 Protege5
tallrd said:
did you either replace the fw or have it ground before installing the SPEC, and how many miles did you put on it before giving 'er hell?
The OEM flywheel was resurfaced and I followed the SPEC break in procedures to the letter. "450 miles of primarily city and/or stop-and-go driving, before full throttle engagement, drag launching or speed shifting."
Hasn't skipped a beat since.

tallrd

Give up attachment
:
03 MSP Mica #369
So I got the new clutch in and it feels great. There are some people who have told me how stiff the stage 2 feels, but it actually feels easier than my stock one did. After all, it's hydraulic anyway, right? So, in any case, I'll tell ya in another 500 miles what I *really* think, but for now just taking it easy during the break-in period.