Sorry, but I couldn't pull the trigger (sad-ish)

Here are a couple pictures of my Explorer. You can see how the bolster near the edge of the see fades down and below the center section. People have complained that the higher center section puts pressure on the back of the knees, but didnt notice.

As been said before, one size doesn't fill all.

20200217_163438.jpg

20200217_163445.jpg

I purchased a chair pad at Walmarts that sits wetween the bolsters. That make the seat about 3 inches wider. That helped considerably. Now if I could make the bottom cusion about 3 inches longer I'd be happy. I think MAZDA needs to address the seat issue by checking Volvo and other manufactures who constantly get good seat comfort reviews. I have a 2014 touring and found the 2019 seats are basically the same design with different materials. Ed

Seats are junk in our otherwise excellent ‘19 touring. I don’t find them to be “painful”, but definitely far less comfortable than pretty much every other vehicle that I’ve owned. Now approaching 30k miles and they aren’t any better.

If I had already purchased the CX5 and had issues, I'd be trying these suggestions, however, I didn't buy it yet and may go back and try it again. My concern with adding a cushion to the seat is the heated/ventilated performance. Now it has to go through the cushion as well. Plus, it's just not right to have to make it more comfortable when I know that it doesn't work for me from the factory.

Good idea but I imagine that impacts the effect of the seat heating?

We're both skinny people, we prefer harder seats, and side bolsters don't affect us. The effect that sciataca cushion is a 2-inch highersitting position, more relaxed lower back muscles, and no sciatica flare ups after a long drive. If you move the cushion forward it does alleviate some behind the knee pressure.........Of course everyone's experience is different.

Good idea but I imagine that impacts the effect of the seat heating?
And the seat ventilation system.

Besides, I think the problem is the pressure applied along the outside of the leg all the way up, not classic disc-driven sciatica.

Last edited:
Looking at the seats in the CX9, they appear to have similar design as my explore where the bolsters fade away as you get towards the front of the seat. While I'd love the quick, compact, fuel efficient CX5, I may have to check out a CX9. Looking at lease deals, CX9 will be more, but might be worth it if it maintains the driving experience as the CX5, but more comfortable seats. Decisions.......:confused:

Or, i continue my previous 2nd option of a used Golf R (I know, completely different than a CX5/CX9).

Looking at the seats in the CX9, they appear to have similar design as my explore where the bolsters fade away as you get towards the front of the seat. While I'd love the quick, compact, fuel efficient CX5, I may have to check out a CX9. Looking at lease deals, CX9 will be more, but might be worth it if it maintains the driving experience as the CX5, but more comfortable seats. Decisions.......:confused:

Or, i continue my previous 2nd option of a used Golf R (I know, completely different than a CX5/CX9).

Just my opinion, but the CX-5 Reserve/Signature will easily make its way onto a lot of buyers' short lists. It offers so much value. On the other hand, the CX-9's competition is a lot stiffer, especially with the Korean twins in the mix. Interior quality (and maybe tech?) is arguably better in the Korean models, and some of the competition offers more powerful drivetrains (and more cargo space), like the Pilot/MDX, which is a full second faster to 60 than the CX-9. Personally, I'd still drive my CX-9 over the Telluride/Palisade/Pilot/MDX, but it would be a much harder decision than, say, choosing a CX-5 Reserve over an RDX, Q5, CR-V, RAV4, etc.

Some other points to consider - The CX-9 and it's competition all get less than average gas mileage (minus the Highlander Hybrid). On the positive side, the CX-9 (in my experience) does not seem to suffer from the boost reduction issue as much as the CX-5 Reserve/Signature does.

Have you driven the CX-5 Signature? The nappa leather is supposed to be more comfortable than the leather found in the Reserve. It's possible that the seats will wear in better compared to the Reserve's seats.

Just my opinion, but the CX-5 Reserve/Signature will easily make its way onto a lot of buyers' short lists. It offers so much value. On the other hand, the CX-9's competition is a lot stiffer, especially with the Korean twins in the mix. Interior quality (and maybe tech?) is arguably better in the Korean models, and some of the competition offers more powerful drivetrains (and more cargo space), like the Pilot/MDX, which is a full second faster to 60 than the CX-9. Personally, I'd still drive my CX-9 over the Telluride/Palisade/Pilot/MDX, but it would be a much harder decision than, say, choosing a CX-5 Reserve over an RDX, Q5, CR-V, RAV4, etc.

Some other points to consider - The CX-9 and it's competition all get less than average gas mileage (minus the Highlander Hybrid). On the positive side, the CX-9 (in my experience) does not seem to suffer from the boost reduction issue as much as the CX-5 Reserve/Signature does.

Have you driven the CX-5 Signature? The nappa leather is supposed to be more comfortable than the leather found in the Reserve. It's possible that the seats will wear in better compared to the Reserve's seats.
It’s not the leather. It’s the foam and design of the seat base. I checked or a Signature recently to confirm.

Odrapnew- I totally understand walking away because of the seats. I wish I would have noticed they were so bad before buying my GTR.

The cold weather power loss is also also a big negative.

I drove both the Sig and GTR. I didnt notice a difference in comfort, but again, the GTR didnt show any discomfort until the 2nd day.

What's also interesting is that I had no comfort issues with the ~40min combined (GTR and Sig back to back) test drives and shortly after, the ~30 minute drive home. I only had the issue when I went on another ~30minute drive the next morning.

As for the CX9, good points sm1ke. I really want to downsize, but I like how the CX5 drives, I'm expecting the 9 to be similar.

I wish there were some new 2019 GT's locally. I found a handful about 250 miles away with some major discounts (like $6k off msrp). That would net a very reasonable payment.

I drove both the Sig and GTR. I didnt notice a difference in comfort, but again, the GTR didnt show any discomfort until the 2nd day.

What's also interesting is that I had no comfort issues with the ~40min combined (GTR and Sig back to back) test drives and shortly after, the ~30 minute drive home. I only had the issue when I went on another ~30minute drive the next morning.

As for the CX9, good points sm1ke. I really want to downsize, but I like how the CX5 drives, I'm expecting the 9 to be similar.

I wish there were some new 2019 GT's locally. I found a handful about 250 miles away with some major discounts (like $6k off msrp). That would net a very reasonable payment.
If you sit perfectly centered it makes things slightly better. The bolsters are just too firm and too close together.

If you sit perfectly centered it makes things slightly better. The bolsters are just too firm and too close together.
I agree with this. I've found that I tend to lean towards the center.

This car is making me painfully aware of my behind-the-wheel posture issues. You can't slouch without paying the price.

Even though the CX5 and my 14 Explorer Sport have about the same 0-60, the Explorer feels quicker.

Just curious, does the list of potential purchases include the edge sport or st or whatever the name is? Nice SUV, close in function to the cx5 and you'd be going with a brand you're familiar with.

Just curious, does the list of potential purchases include the edge sport or st or whatever the name is? Nice SUV, close in function to the cx5 and you'd be going with a brand you're familiar with.

I've thought about the Edge ST, but it's too much like my Explorer inside. I'd rather just stick with my Explorer and save the money.
I'd like something different, interior/exterior wise.

Plus, it would be hard to get a deal like I have available for the CX5 GTR.

Get the golf R

:) If I could find a 2018 with DSG locally, I'd be looking at it. There is a certified 2016 (20k miles) and a certified 2017 (56k miles), both right around $30K. I think the '16 is overpriced, but again, it's certified and fully loaded. I'd like to get into the 2018 with the 7spd DSG and digital dash, but I may check out the other 2.

Well, I gave it one more try today. They let me take it for 45 minutes.

I found when I relax my legs to the sides, the bottom bolsters press into the sides of my thighs. Bolsters are just too stiff. If I hold my legs together, there is no pressure and the seat is fine.

Unfortunately, letting my legs relax is natural and I fear holding them together will cause other soreness or leg fatigue.

So, as much as I like the CX5, the seats just don't work for me. I even toyed with the idea of getting a cushion for the center of the seat, but wasn't worth it.

I will give a shout out to the dealer, Luther Brookdale Mazda in MN for being so relaxed with my test drives. They didnt even go with me on any of them.

BTW, temp was 15F and it did have the power loss in first and second gears, but when I was just tooling around, I didnt notice it. It was noticeable when I pushed it. Again, 3rd gear and higher were just fine.

Sales guy did mention possible CX9 deals coming up when auto show is in town, so I asked them to keep in touch. I didnt drive the 9, but maybe in the coming weeks.

If the 9 doesn't work, I'll be getting a rear sway bar and tune for my Explorer... it just sucks that the tailgate is rusting already.

Back