Some smoke on startup

FlyinHawaiian

:
Mazdaspeed Protege #1460
Phew, its been a while since I posted, but I'm in the early stages of trying to diagnose a problem.

Symptoms:

• Smoke from exhaust only on a cold startup, any revving and additional smoke appears.
  • About a quart low in-between oil changes ~5,000miles
  • No noted smoke after it warms up

Additional info:
  • Current Mileage: 121,000miles
  • Timing belt, most major seals, turbo oil return line, water pump replaced at 100,000miles
  • No loss in performance
  • No indicated loss of coolant
  • Some "slap" on the first startup on a cold engine

Just looking for suggestions. I've done a search of the forums already, and am curious about a possible valve seal problem. I'm going to pull the plugs when I change the oil this week and see what I find.

time to forge with amber sidemarkers. problem solved! jk. mine only smokes on start up if it sits for a week. good luck with your prob

Yeah, that was only 1 day of sitting, and TBH its really not that bad, but any smoke isn't ideal. I had come back from a week-long trip and there was a bit more smoke, but it went away once the car was warmed up...

I think the real solution is finally selling the car! I just need to keep it going for another 10-12 months, and then it can be someone else's worry

Could just be water vapor build up... The fact that it doesn't continue to smoke is prob a good thing.

I agree that the fact it clears up indicates its probably not an immediate problem, but its definitely not water vapor - its blueish in color and smells like oil smoke.

Back