Some Questions about the Gen 2 CX-5

:
Fmr CX5 Touring
Hi,

Former 2015 owner who wants to confirm a couple of things about the newer models. I'm pretty sure I know the answers but still gonna ask.

1) LKAS: My understanding is that its more of a suggestion than a rule? I test drove a 2017, the 2015 was too noisy, and I barely noticed it. My Honda, for instance, will actually steer a corner with good lines.

2) The signature lists "traffic sign recognition system". I was under the impression that the HUD, working with navigation provides that information? Does a GT, for instance, just not include the nav, or is there a different sensor on the Signature? I know you can, or could, add the nav but it would be another $450 +/-?

3) Sat in it the other day, but didn't drive, seats felt fine, FWIW.

4) Reading the prices paid thread, it looks like 9% is kind of a rough target, including incentives?

5) Is paint chipping still an issue? My 2015 definitely nicked. I remember replacing the front window too.

6) Is there a start / stop on these? I see cylinder deactivation but didn't see anything about a start / stop.

7) Noise? This will be a hard test but every reviewer says it's quieter. When I test drove the 2017 I didn't notice a material sound difference although it felt like it handled differently, less able to throw it around in a sense.

8) Infotainment. First, I don't buy any Mazda BS about touch vs knob safety. They have a bunch sitting in a warehouse that they have to sell. That said, how hard was it to adapt? It would be really easy to mess up CarPlay and you wind up with something like the forward button going to a new podcast rather than 30 seconds forward or, it's really hard to back out of a podcast to something else. This is probably the biggest negative I see in the vehicle.

Thanks for any responses.

1. You can set it to slightly shake the wheel when you get close to a line and you get a slight nudge in the correct direction.
2. My 2020 GT + has sign recognition with a nav card. Many have picked up a nav card online for less than 100 and it included updates but for the new bigger nav screen system no one has got update to work.
6. No start stop in US.
7. A lot quieter than my 2016 was.

Hi,

Former 2015 owner who wants to confirm a couple of things about the newer models. I'm pretty sure I know the answers but still gonna ask.

1) LKAS: My understanding is that its more of a suggestion than a rule? I test drove a 2017, the 2015 was too noisy, and I barely noticed it. My Honda, for instance, will actually steer a corner with good lines.

2) The signature lists "traffic sign recognition system". I was under the impression that the HUD, working with navigation provides that information? Does a GT, for instance, just not include the nav, or is there a different sensor on the Signature? I know you can, or could, add the nav but it would be another $450 +/-?

4) Reading the prices paid thread, it looks like 9% is kind of a rough target, including incentives?

5) Is paint chipping still an issue? My 2015 definitely nicked. I remember replacing the front window too.

6) Is there a start / stop on these? I see cylinder deactivation but didn't see anything about a start / stop.

7) Noise? This will be a hard test but every reviewer says it's quieter. When I test drove the 2017 I didn't notice a material sound difference although it felt like it handled differently, less able to throw it around in a sense.

8) Infotainment. First, I don't buy any Mazda BS about touch vs knob safety. They have a bunch sitting in a warehouse that they have to sell. That said, how hard was it to adapt? It would be really easy to mess up CarPlay and you wind up with something like the forward button going to a new podcast rather than 30 seconds forward or, it's really hard to back out of a podcast to something else. This is probably the biggest negative I see in the vehicle.

I had a 2015, and have driven 2016.5, 2018, 2019 and 2021.

In 2019, they got better suspension. It now feels like a bmw instead of all loose and floppy like the 2017-2018 models, so it's just as tossable as a 2016.5 and prior, and just as direct, but it's less raw. More refined.

Hi,

1. LKAS Lane assist is a joke unfortunately.
and the US models dont have the active steering centering. Only vibration or noise and very slight steering which usually dont work so well vs other cars similar systems.
5. yes, but not that bad as before.
paint is still on the thin side though.
6. no start.stop
7. much quieter than gen1.
still some wind noise after 75mph but overall very good.
8.lack of touch is a negative but once you get used to the controller knob is ok. voice button from the steering is compatible with AA/carplay for Navi, etc.

2. Without the NAV card inserted, my 2017 (GT, Prem Pkg) doesn't do sign recognition in the HUD. So even though the camera "sees" traffic signs, they don't appear on the HUD unless NAV is installed. Running Android Auto with Google maps, however, the signs still appear in the HUD (i.e. I'm not actively using Mazda NAV.)

7. Don't know how it compares to the 2015, but I test drove a 2020 before I bought my used 2017. Thought the '20 was slightly quieter, didn't notice much difference in handling.

8. Personal preference, obviously, but I've always found touchscreen much less precise when in a moving car. Your finger wants to bounce around, so it requires more visual engagement. The knob system works very similar to BMW's i-Drive, which my wife's car has, so I found it extremely easy. Hers doesn't run Android Auto, so I had to get used to navigating with that on the screen, but I think it works pretty well. The "back" button under your thumb next to the knob works like the back arrow on the phone screen. Rotate the knob to move around in the app, push it like a joystick to jump from, say, the upper screen to the bottom control panel. I never am tempted to touch the screen, but I never got used to it in another vehicle, either.

Thanks for the replies.

My Accord's HUD, does several things but the main things I like about it, are seeing the LKAS and traffic sign display. The LKAS, which I suspected worked poorly on Mazda's, is a negative as is the traffic sign display.

The infotainment, is kind of a toss up. I have two watches I wear, Apple and Garmin. The Garmin is button-orientated, and it's nice because you can do things without looking, but, it often takes many presses to do what one press does on the Apple. For instance, podcasts on the watch are a completely different experience to navigate. I could probably adapt but it's something Mazda has to get off it's jinba Ittai about in my opinion.

I couldn't tell but it looks like the 2021 is the same infotainment, just better presented and a bit faster?

Good to hear it's quieter and can be tossed around a bit.

I've never driven the turbo, but I never felt the 2015 was horrible for power, except maybe when the onramp was uphill. But based on what I'm reading, the HUD isn't as viable as I'd like outside of the Signature, and absent that and maybe the parking sensors, a touring + premium, is the likely best alternative, especially since I kind of want something I'm not afraid of beating up a bit..

The Venza was my first choice, but after sitting in it, it's a no go. Head is way too close to the roof handle, and I'd probably hit it on speed bumps. May look at a Sorento / Santa Fe too. I sat in the Sorento and it was a really nice fit. Larger than I want but plenty of space with the seats down.

Thanks again.

I drove a Signature today. Interestingly everything you all say seems true.

It drove like I remember, which was looser than the 2017 I test drove a few years ago. I liked it. Specifically,
  • NVH massively improved.
  • I get the turbo now. Makes it much easier to drive, no forcing it.
  • The HUD is excellent.
  • Everything more or less where I remembered it.
  • Nice tight turning radius.
The infotainment would take some work. I don't think it would be a problem but it would take some getting used to.

LKAS is what I expected but less than I had hoped for.

There were negatives,
  • The USB is in an awkward place for a phone meaning the cable runs along the center console. They really need wireless AA / CarPlay.
  • Frankly, the center cubby hole is awkward to reach, and too far back. It limits your ability to rest the arms.
  • Finally, the seats. I'm not sure if they're too short, or the bottom side bolster are positioned badly but I get the complaints. I could work around the above two but I'm not sure at all about the seats.
Overall, it's massively better than the 2015 I had, just the seats, I don't know.

...The LKAS, which I suspected worked poorly on Mazda's, is a negative

...The Venza was my first choice, but after sitting in it, it's a no go. Head is way too close to the roof handle, and I'd probably hit it on speed bumps. May look at a Sorento / Santa Fe too. I sat in the Sorento and it was a really nice fit. Larger than I want but plenty of space with the seats down.

Thanks again.
I thought the LKAS in the 20 GTR I test drove last April sucked rocks. Hardly better than the lane warning in my 16.5 GT with I-active Sensing. Won’t buy a newer CX-5/-50 unless they include lane centering available in other markets.

I had high hopes for the Venza but was sorely disappointed. The pano roof trick and hybrid drive train were cool. Seemed smaller in the front seats than my CX-5. Had to bend my neck at a very unnatural angle to get in and out. (I’m 6’2”) No thanks!

I’m thinking Santa Fe Limited or Calligraphy for my next ride, but still need to test drive and wait for the discounts to bump up - still too new and in short supply. Unless you need the 3rd row, skip the Sorento. It has way less goodies than its Hyundai cousin for the same price. (I got kicked off a Kia forum for saying this and including a link to a feature comparison table)

I doubt that Mazda will ever include lane centering because they feel that it takes too much control from the driver. I had an Altima rental with lane centering and hated every minute of it until I figured out how to turn it off. My arms were tired from fighting the constant wheel corrections before I figured out what was going on

I thought the LKAS in the 20 GTR I test drove last April sucked rocks. Hardly better than the lane warning in my 16.5 GT with I-active Sensing. Won’t buy a newer CX-5/-50 unless they include lane centering available in other markets.

The LKAS isn't a deal killer, probably because with the center armrest being what it is, both hands will be on the wheel.

I had high hopes for the Venza but was sorely disappointed. The pano roof trick and hybrid drive train were cool. Seemed smaller in the front seats than my CX-5. Had to bend my neck at a very unnatural angle to get in and out. (I’m 6’2”) No thanks!

It's a car made for the wee-folk. I wonder how many 6'+ reviewers had to contort themselves in it to make it look like the headroom was fine?

I’m thinking Santa Fe Limited or Calligraphy for my next ride, but still need to test drive and wait for the discounts to bump up - still too new and in short supply. Unless you need the 3rd row, skip the Sorento. It has way less goodies than its Hyundai cousin for the same price. (I got kicked off a Kia forum for saying this and including a link to a feature comparison table)
The comparison is a bit messy because the trims don't really line up. EX = SEL, SX = Limited Prestige = Calligraphy and you have to get AWD in the configurator because it's kind of hidden.

The Calligraphy has the HUD and 19" wheels, which I prefer.
The Santa Fe hybrids will all run about $2K more, my guess, than the Sorento, but will have AWD.
You get 3-years of maintenance on the Hyundai's.
The Hyundai's ate too much chunky ice cream while the Sorento was on a warrior diet.

In 2019, they got better suspension. It now feels like a bmw instead of all loose and floppy like the 2017-2018 models, so it's just as tossable as a 2016.5 and prior, and just as direct, but it's less raw. More refined.
I've a 2017 *PreOwned, and with your comment about loose/floppy, does anyone recommend I go with B5 Bilsteins or the Koni Active? I do not want to lower it though. Msg me if you've done these and have any recommended tips...
I don't mind upgrading as it has 32K on it, and the battery is about ready to go (due to Covd, less driving and OEM battery approaching 48month). And hey, for those that get a Pre-Owned, I am finding out that the dealer really doesn't refresh the car for next owner. Filters were old, wiper blades were old, and I am glad I did oil change as I only put 1500miles on it and was like, Hmmm...I should change it. It was black as night and I found no info on last change.

Mazda really dialed it in pretty good honestly at stock height. I'd be tempted to just snag OEM suspension components for it from a 2019+

... And hey, for those that get a Pre-Owned, I am finding out that the dealer really doesn't refresh the car for next owner. Filters were old, wiper blades were old, and I am glad I did oil change as I only put 1500miles on it and was like, Hmmm...I should change it. It was black as night and I found no info on last change.
I agree with the CPO, whenever I get a CPO, or used, I try to make sure I have a baseline on everything, which may mean a lot of fluid changes and maybe replaceable such as wipers, filters, brake pads, etc., I at least inspect. That way I can get on a known schedule of maintenance

Interesting. That's the first I've heard of suspension changes between 18 and 19.

edit: I guess I had read about that, it got re-tuned plus some steering changes in conjunction with G Vectoring plus.

Last edited:
I can't speak to any changes, but what I felt in the signature is what I felt in the 2015. When I test drove a 2017 it felt more limited and controlled, maybe even more planted but not necessarily in a good way, more in the I'm not going to let you do that way. That probably doesn't make sense, but the 2015 and Signature felt looser in the way I expected.

Honestly, if it wasn't for the seats, I'd be on dealer websites trying to get prices because the nimbleness is kind of what I was looking for.

...The comparison is a bit messy because the trims don't really line up. EX = SEL, SX = Limited Prestige = Calligraphy and you have to get AWD in the configurator because it's kind of hidden.

The Calligraphy has the HUD and 19" wheels, which I prefer.
The Santa Fe hybrids will all run about $2K more, my guess, than the Sorento, but will have AWD.
You get 3-years of maintenance on the Hyundai's.
The Hyundai's ate too much chunky ice cream while the Sorento was on a warrior diet.
I compared the Calligraphy trim to the SXPrestige AWD. Sorento was missing many features of interest. Differences I found:
SXP Has compact spare! (I think)
No 2nd row bench-Captains Chairs only
Has small 3rd row. - capacity 6
No rain sensing wipers
No remote parking
Bose vs HK Stereo
No trailer sway control or prewire
No memory seats/mirrors/phone
2 way lumbar support vs 4 way in SF
No drivers seat leg cushion ext.
No 120v outlet 2nd row
No F/R parking distance warning
No heated steering wheel
No HUD

Most of these features (other than HUD) are on the SF Limited as well. Need to check out the Hybrid Limited when it arrives this Spring.

I compared the Calligraphy trim to the SXPrestige AWD. Sorento was missing many features of interest. Differences I found:
SXP Has compact spare! (I think)
No 2nd row bench-Captains Chairs only
Has small 3rd row. - capacity 6
No rain sensing wipers
No remote parking
Bose vs HK Stereo
No trailer sway control or prewire
No memory seats/mirrors/phone
2 way lumbar support vs 4 way in SF
No drivers seat leg cushion ext.
No 120v outlet 2nd row
No F/R parking distance warning
No heated steering wheel
No HUD

Most of these features (other than HUD) are on the SF Limited as well. Need to check out the Hybrid Limited when it arrives this Spring.
That looks about right. Most of that I don't care about, for instance, I like the captain's chairs because I'm not really buying a crossover for people moving, for me it's like a covered pickup. Those last 2 seats would always be down although the captain seats do make laying down all the seats a bit awkward.

The Limited also has 360 camera. AWD is available on the hybrid.

Definitely no smart park on the Kia.

Back