So long, it’s been great

:
Mazda 2016 CX-5
It been a great 4 years and I still love the CX-5 but I traded my 16 GT for a 2020 Audi Q3. Going to miss This group

Can’t agree with you more, Raj55.

My last car was a VW EOS. Loved it. Very fun to drive and ride in.

When new, I purchased an extended warranty, to 10 years. I collected over 3x the cost in covered repairs in 9.5 years. No way I was going to keep it past 10.

On the bright side, the dealer was within walking distance of home, and they gave a free car wash coupon with each visit. 3.5 years later, I’m down to 3 remaining free washes.

Funny, I was thinking CX - 30 then a CX-5 turbo. Because of the crappy way my Mazda dealer treated me While. Trying to make a trade Mazda has lost a customer. I’ve owned BMWs and had good with them , just thought I’d try something different

Funny, I was thinking CX - 30 then a CX-5 turbo. Because of the crappy way my Mazda dealer treated me While. Trying to make a trade Mazda has lost a customer. I’ve owned BMWs and had good with them , just thought I’d try something different

Sucks when a dealership turns you off on an entire brand. The experience must have been really poor. I would contact Mazda Corp just to inform them of the way you were treated. Ideally this would lead to some changes being made at that dealership, but I'm not sure its worth your time or effort at this point as the damage has already been done.

Either way, sorry to see you go..

I’ve also given up German vehicles although I used to buy only German cars. My last 2001.5 VW Passat with Audi's 2.8L V6 was burning 1 quart of oil per 800 miles since new, and VWoA refused to do anything under warranty. My 2000 BMW 528i is problematic too but at least the 2.8L I6 doesn’t consume any oil.

Yeah hope you enjoy the new Audi Q3, and plan to get rid of it once the warranty is up.

I’ve also given up German vehicles although I used to buy only German cars. My last 2001.5 VW Passat with Audi's 2.8L V6 was burning 1 quart of oil per 800 miles since new, and VWoA refused to do anything under warranty. My 2000 BMW 528i is problematic too but at least the 2.8L I6 doesn’t consume any oil.

Yeah hope you enjoy the new Audi Q3, and plan to get rid of it once the warranty is up.

Dang! No point in doing oil changes at that rate either. You’ve got all new oil in there over the span of one OCI!

I had my 2000 VW Passat V6 with the same engine mentioned for 11 years. Burning oil is the one thing it never did. More electrical issues than any other vehicle I've ever owned. It had 110,000 miles when I traded it on a Golf TDI. I drove that for 6 years until the TDI buyback & got almost what I paid for it.

Audi? Good luck. My cousin is a tow truck driver and picks these things up all the time.

I don't like the front grill. Looks like a cage.

2020-audi-q3-front-angle-view-carbuzz-654812.jpg

I, too, wanted to buy a CX-30 GT or CX-5 Turbo but was disrespected by the dealer. Ended up with a Kia Seltos XS Turbo and very happy with the choice. The Kia guys were very easy to work with and I ended up saving 4K over the CX-30 and getting a car that actually works better for us.

The only negative is there’s some hard plastics in the interior which bothered me at first since this replaced an Audi A4. I realized it was the main reason I was focused on Mazda.
I expanded my search and it worked out great. Would have loved a Q3 but at this stage of life we wanted to avoid luxury brands.

I’m pretty sure I would have bought a Mazda if I was treated differently so it turned out for the best since I ended up with a better fit.

I, too, wanted to buy a CX-30 GT or CX-5 Turbo but was disrespected by the dealer. Ended up with a Kia Seltos XS Turbo and very happy with the choice. The Kia guys were very easy to work with and I ended up saving 4K over the CX-30 and getting a car that actually works better for us.

The only negative is there’s some hard plastics in the interior which bothered me at first since this replaced an Audi A4. I realized it was the main reason I was focused on Mazda.
I expanded my search and it worked out great. Would have loved a Q3 but at this stage of life we wanted to avoid luxury brands.

I’m pretty sure I would have bought a Mazda if I was treated differently so it turned out for the best since I ended up with a better fit.
Seltos looks nice, but interior is loud and performance isnt where the cx5 turbo is. Nice vehicle, overall, but I'd never buy my 2nd choice because someone disrespected me. No reason for me to also disrespect me.

To be clear the Seltos wasn’t my second choice as I hadn’t looked at it since it hadn’t arrived at dealers yet. If I had it would have been at the top of my list. The Mazda dealer‘s arrogance prompted me to branch out and seek other alternatives. I could have just gone to another Mazda dealer if I was stuck on Mazda. I agree it would be pretty dumb to settle for second choice because someone thinks it should be an honour for me to own their product.

The Seltos is a great car for me and in hindsight I’m glad things worked out as they did. I actually like the interior design but, as I stated, there is some hard plastic in places. I can easily look past that since the rest of the car is far better. At least for me.

As for performance you are right, it isn’t up to the CX-5 Turbo but it would have cost me $6-8000 more and it just wasn’t worth it. Plus there are some aspects that were superior or at least equal to the CX-5 let alone the CX-30 which is the direct competitor.

The Seltos is a pleasure to drive and very solidly built with well implemented tech, especially the infotainment which is fabulous. I must admit though that I had to overcome some brand bias and I recommend that anyone looking at CX-30 at least consider the Kia. They are both great cars and at the same time quite different.

To each their own. I just wanted to share my experience.

To be clear the Seltos wasn’t my second choice as I hadn’t looked at it since it hadn’t arrived at dealers yet. If I had it would have been at the top of my list. The Mazda dealer‘s arrogance prompted me to branch out and seek other alternatives. I could have just gone to another Mazda dealer if I was stuck on Mazda. I agree it would be pretty dumb to settle for second choice because someone thinks it should be an honour for me to own their product.

The Seltos is a great car for me and in hindsight I’m glad things worked out as they did. I actually like the interior design but, as I stated, there is some hard plastic in places. I can easily look past that since the rest of the car is far better. At least for me.

As for performance you are right, it isn’t up to the CX-5 Turbo but it would have cost me $6-8000 more and it just wasn’t worth it. Plus there are some aspects that were superior or at least equal to the CX-5 let alone the CX-30 which is the direct competitor.

The Seltos is a pleasure to drive and very solidly built with well implemented tech, especially the infotainment which is fabulous. I must admit though that I had to overcome some brand bias and I recommend that anyone looking at CX-30 at least consider the Kia. They are both great cars and at the same time quite different.

To each their own. I just wanted to share my experience.
I understand. To me, the 6k would be worth it as I spend 30k miles a year in my vehicle. Mainly for the cabin quietness difference.

What about the seltos do you prefer?

I would have seriously considered it as well if I was spending that much time in the car given the more refined interior and quieter ride, although the Seltos is not noisy for the segment it’s in. We’re retired and will put on maybe 12 or 13K kms (8000 miles) with the odd road trip. We have my wife’s Beetle convertible as our fun car when it’s just the two of us. When I was working and travelled I put a premium on interior comfort and ride such as the Audi A4 I’m trading. Priorities and budget have changed.

Compared to the CX-30 I liked the looks/colour , ventilated seats, heated rear seats, passenger/cargo space (we have grandchildren and elderly parents), ground clearance,outward visibility, power delivery, factory remote start with good range, steering wheel heated all around ( seems minor but it bugged me), warranty, and the infotainment which is priority for me and the best I’ve seen in any class. And it actually felt more solid. The Mazda had things the Kia didn’t but they weren’t important for us or can be added later. I thought I still needed a premium feel cabin but now realize it’s not important given the time spent driving. And the Seltos is by no means uncomfortable or austere.
The CX-5 was actually a closer match in all respects even though in a higher segment. The main differentiator was the infotainment which never even got my phone contacts loaded before I gave up. It would have cost me $8K more for the Signature I really would have wanted and that was for a leftover 2019. The GT Turbo would have been 2K less but the only 2019 colours left here are white and black which is another thing, Mazda really doesn’t have exciting colours except the red which is we now see everywhere. CX-30 was $4K more.

It really comes down to personal preference and situation. I would just encourage those looking at a CX-30 to consider Kia. You might be surprised.

I would have seriously considered it as well if I was spending that much time in the car given the more refined interior and quieter ride, although the Seltos is not noisy for the segment it’s in. We’re retired and will put on maybe 12 or 13K kms (8000 miles) with the odd road trip. We have my wife’s Beetle convertible as our fun car when it’s just the two of us. When I was working and travelled I put a premium on interior comfort and ride such as the Audi A4 I’m trading. Priorities and budget have changed.

Compared to the CX-30 I liked the looks/colour , ventilated seats, heated rear seats, passenger/cargo space (we have grandchildren and elderly parents), ground clearance,outward visibility, power delivery, factory remote start with good range, steering wheel heated all around ( seems minor but it bugged me), warranty, and the infotainment which is priority for me and the best I’ve seen in any class. And it actually felt more solid. The Mazda had things the Kia didn’t but they weren’t important for us or can be added later. I thought I still needed a premium feel cabin but now realize it’s not important given the time spent driving. And the Seltos is by no means uncomfortable or austere.
The CX-5 was actually a closer match in all respects even though in a higher segment. The main differentiator was the infotainment which never even got my phone contacts loaded before I gave up. It would have cost me $8K more for the Signature I really would have wanted and that was for a leftover 2019. The GT Turbo would have been 2K less but the only 2019 colours left here are white and black which is another thing, Mazda really doesn’t have exciting colours except the red which is we now see everywhere. CX-30 was $4K more.

It really comes down to personal preference and situation. I would just encourage those looking at a CX-30 to consider Kia. You might be surprised.
That makes sense. I think if I drove less, I'd put a lower premium on reliability and a higher one on fun. Might end up in an Alfa Stelvio or something if I drove your mileage.

I considered that one for about a second until I gave my head a shake. Reliability is a top priority at this stage and both the Kia and Mazda are fun enough. More so at least than my Audi.

Back