snow in 20" tire treads causing steering wheel vibrations over 50 mph ?

astriuminc

:
CX-9 2013 AWD
ok, so here's the story, big snow storm in the NYC, and driving to work today, I noticed minor vibrations when going over 50 mph.

I don't see any ice blocks in the wheel wells or rims, I'm suspecting it's snow trapped in the tire treads throwing off the balance and since the CX-9 is running 20" tires, the vibrations will be more pronounced than say a 15" tire. Is this true and has any other CX-9'er with 20" tires experience this after a snow storm ?

I'm positive the vibrations wasn't there when it was nice and sunny, only after today when I went over some snow this morning.

Last edited:
update: yep, turned out to be snow in the tire treads/rims guys. snow melted during the day and return trip was smooth as usual,

just letting fellow members know if you ever encounter this after a snow storm.

Yeah, definitely check behind the wheels if you feel off balance on a cold and icy day. Just a little iced-up snow lodged in there can make it feel like you bent a rim or something.

Glad you found the culprit.

Yea, This is normal for any type of car really. Surprised you havent had the experience in the past with a previous car. My Kia beater does it horrible when they get packed.

Snow in the tread shouldn't have any effect on balance. Once you get moving a decent speed, the snow in the treads should "fling" out of the treads.

Inside the rim is where I see most of my issues. My old Speed6 was notorious for that. I had to put a small space heater at each wheel in the garage to melt the snow during one of the bigger snow storms we had a few years back....of course I was having fun in the snow which likely helped pack the snow in the rim.

Latest posts

Back