Smoking engine due to oil leak

Have a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with 18,000 miles. Do all the regular maintenance and oil changes. About a month after the last oil change I noticed a burning smell in the cabin when at stop signs. It continued to get worse over a couple days. I took it in to the dealer, they identified a small oil leak (took 1.5 hours to identify) towards the rear of the engine and by all the shielding. The dealer put a dye in the oil and schedule an appointment. They are giving me a rental because it will take removing the shielding and possibly the engine to repair.

This seems like a very major issue for a 1.5 year old vehicle with so few miles. Has anyone else had this issue? Thoughts on potential causes? The mechanic wasn’t exactly able to identify location on general area so far. Should I keep driving it, appointment is Tuesday, dealer told me to drive it to get the dye throughout engine. It is now smoking so bad it’s flooding my garage but still seems to be running fine.

Have a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with 18,000 miles. Do all the regular maintenance and oil changes. About a month after the last oil change I noticed a burning smell in the cabin when at stop signs. It continued to get worse over a couple days. I took it in to the dealer, they identified a small oil leak (took 1.5 hours to identify) towards the rear of the engine and by all the shielding. The dealer put a dye in the oil and schedule an appointment. They are giving me a rental because it will take removing the shielding and possibly the engine to repair.

This seems like a very major issue for a 1.5 year old vehicle with so few miles. Has anyone else had this issue? Thoughts on potential causes? The mechanic wasn’t exactly able to identify location on general area so far. Should I keep driving it, appointment is Tuesday, dealer told me to drive it to get the dye throughout engine. It is now smoking so bad it’s flooding my garage but still seems to be running fine.
Some 2.5L will develop oil leaks at variety of areas, such as timing chain cover、oil pan、and front and rear crankshaft bearing seals. Your situation is different as your oil leak area seems to be high enough and can drip to the exhausts. It could be valve cover gasket but that seems to be rare for 2.5L. If you smell oil burning soon after the oil change by the dealer, it could be the oil spill by the tech during the oil change refill.

Small Oil leak for me too... :-(

Last edited:
My 2018 just ran into this issue at 38500 miles, dealer is replacing entire engine to correct. No other symptoms beyond burning oil smell. Car has had all recall updates, including the ECU recall. Pretty disappointing that it requires such an extreme fix on a car less than two years old.

My 2018 just ran into this issue at 38500 miles, dealer is replacing entire engine to correct. No other symptoms beyond burning oil smell. Car has had all recall updates, including the ECU recall. Pretty disappointing that it requires such an extreme fix on a car less than two years old.
Replacing entire engine just for burning oil smell? This’s really an extreme fix ⋯ :(

Replacing entire engine just for burning oil smell? This’s really an extreme fix ⋯ :(
They stated that there was a crack in the engine somewhere. Dealer also stated they have had several 2018s with this issue. Wondering if it is related to the cylinder deactivation issues. Going to try to find out more detail on nature of issue. Like I said there was no other issue (had just completed 1200 mile drive) with performance or codes.

Latest posts

Back