Smelling Windshield Wiper Fluid

:
Mazda CX-5 Signature
I drove a dealer loaner 2018 GT for three weeks and now own a 2019 Sig for 2 weeks. I noticed in both vehicles that when I ran the windshield wipers with washer fluid, I could smell the fluid through the vents. Is this a common thing with CX-5s, Mazda? In all my other vehicles, I have never smelled this.

may be turn on internal air recirculation and get a carbon cabin filter. it may help.

I drove a dealer loaner 2018 GT for three weeks and now own a 2019 Sig for 2 weeks. I noticed in both vehicles that when I ran the windshield wipers with washer fluid, I could smell the fluid through the vents. Is this a common thing with CX-5s, Mazda? In all my other vehicles, I have never smelled this.

Maybe your Mazda dealer is using real wiper fluid? (shrug)

The fresh air duct is not inside the engine bay, but rather inside of the windshield cowl, so it makes sense that you would smell it. (friday)

My 16 does it too. Hate it. Personally never had a car do it.

I dump a quart or so of isopropyl alcohol in my wiper fluid reservoir. Really clean windows! Yes, you can smell it.

My 2016 mini cooper was the worst. The smell came right thru...

Every car i have had shared the smell - including Lexus and Jeep. I find it less noticeable on my CX-5.

Same I always smell it in like every car one ever owned. Factory fill VW fluid smells the best.

Same I always smell it in like every car one ever owned. Factory fill VW fluid smells the best.
Now you got me thinking about adding a few drops of Old Spice to the reservoir. (yes)

I dump a quart or so of isopropyl alcohol in my wiper fluid reservoir. Really clean windows! Yes, you can smell it.

...also removes any wax or protective coating on your painted surfaces if they are splashed with the fluid

Funny you mention that, I really liked the smell of vw washer fluid as well. This one smells exactly the same and is what I use. It's German made, so it might be the factory fill of German made vdubs. Available at Amazon for around $12 and makes 7-12 gallons.
Also, this is for warm weather use only as is. You have to add a little ethanol to your mix or it will start to freeze around 30. Not usually a worry around here.

92100815-Kristall-Klar__80861.1543954400.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Never really thought about isopropyl alcohol harming the finish. I have spot tested it with no appreciable damage. Wil have to admit this was done mostly on my lease vehicles prior to this (ford escapes) and I kept them for 2 years each. Generaly though if I am using my wipers there is a strong possibiyt the vehicle is being drivien in mist or rain. Will double check on finish as time goes on.

Never really thought about isopropyl alcohol harming the finish. I have spot tested it with no appreciable damage. Wil have to admit this was done mostly on my lease vehicles prior to this (ford escapes) and I kept them for 2 years each. Generaly though if I am using my wipers there is a strong possibiyt the vehicle is being drivien in mist or rain. Will double check on finish as time goes on.
Agree. The odds of a little if that in your washer fluid taking some wax off finish are pretty small. If I could spell infinitesimal (thank you spell check). [emoji41]

Back