Smart Brake Support not working

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
My SBS doesn't seem to be working, or at leas not as I think it should. There have been a few times where, yes, I was distracted, the SBS didn't seem to engage - thought I manually stopped in time. Maybe it would have if I had given it another fraction of a second, but it definitely didn't seem to activate when I thought it should have. I have the settings on as I believe they should be including the 'far' setting. I really don't want to set up a stack of boxes to hit at 50 MPH, any other suggetsions? When I take it in for the lift-gate recall/fix can they check the OBD or something?

Whats wrong with cardboxes? :)
Try at 15 mph for the SCBS at least.

They can check the obd but they will most likely say its ok.
When the system self checks dont work you get a big warning on the dash.

Cardboard boxes can scratch the soft Mazda paint.
Get a couple of friends to hold up a blanket (in a safe location, like an empty parking lot) and drive into that.

Oh, it does work with the cruise, it will slow down to a stop. But like I said, I got what I considered awfully close and hit my brakes in an everyday driving situation

Mine doesn't work but I rather have it not work. I would freak if my car slammed on its brakes when I wasn't expecting it to. How did you test it with cruise control?

I find the easiest way to test the smart braking is when someone in front of me is making a right turn and there is an extra unoccupied lane to my left to ease into (just in case things go sideways ;)) ....

Just time it out with the person in front turning that they *should* be out of the way into their turn before contact but the cx5 system doesn't know the car ahead is turning so it'll start with it's flashing red B R A K E ! display and rapid BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP and if you still don't respond you should get braking action. If not, just ease to the left a little and skate on by the turning car (as they cuss the A-hole that almost ran them over lol)

In normal driving, do you see the indicator in the dash/HUD that shows a vehicle ahead? If so, the DRSS is working correctly, which is one of the systems SBS works with to determine if emergency braking is necessary. The DRSS is a complicated system.. here's a snippet from the manual:

The Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) measures the distance between your vehicle and a vehicle ahead using a radar sensor (front) while the vehicle speed is about 30 km/h (19 mph) or faster, and if your vehicle approaches a vehicle ahead more closely than what is appropriate for maintaining distance between the vehicles according to the vehicle speed, a notification in the active driving display is indicated to advise you to keep a safe distance from the vehicle ahead.

My takeaway from this quote is that along with the speed requirement of 19mph or faster, the system will trigger SBS earlier or later depending on the situation. I.e. depending on how close you are to the vehicle in front, how quickly the vehicle in front slows down, the speed both vehicles are traveling at, etc. At lower speeds, SCBS does the emergency braking.

One thing to note for those who suggested testing using stationary objects:

• The Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) system does not operate with the following objects:
    • Vehicles approaching in the opposite direction.
    • Stationary objects (stopped vehicles, obstructions)

@sm1ke DRSS is not the same as SBS, which isn't the same as SCBS. What the OP is asking about is SBS and/or SCBS which @HyFlyer described very well above.

For me, the way I know this is working is exactly as he mentioned: person is turning right and, instead of slowing to their speed and staying in their line of travel, I maintain speed and shift to the left of the lane. If the user in front is slow to make their turn, I've experience either the beeping and warning on the HUD, or beeping/warning plus hitting the brakes automatically depending of how close I was.

@sm1ke DRSS is not the same as SBS, which isn't the same as SCBS. What the OP is asking about is SBS and/or SCBS which @HyFlyer described very well above.

Oops, you're right. Sorry for the confusion. I think I confused it with the FOW.

Also, the SBS is coupled with the Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) that visually displays the distance to the vehicle ahead and Forward Obstruction Warning (FOW) that warns the driver of a risk of collision with the car ahead by alarm and a warning light on the meter. These systems help the driver to maintain the safe following distance.

I guess I should have asked - @hal2, in the situations you mentioned in the OP, did the warnings (beeps and BRAKE! message) pop up at all?

I think that if you got the messages and the radar cruise works, the system is working fine. But if you're worried about it, I'd try to get some video footage of instances where you think it should have worked and it didn't, and then bring it to the dealer to see if they can help. The test that HyFlyer mentioned would be the most realistic test you could do, but it isn't very safe..

I don't doubt that the system works, but I am very disappointed that it does not provide an audible warning earlier. As it is, the beeping only occurs when the "BRAKE" signal appears, which is a fraction of a second before an imminent collision (or automatic braking). Before this, you only get a visual warning in the instrument display (or heads up windshield display if you have that feature). Since you have to be looking straight ahead and paying attention to see this visual warning, you could just as easily see that there is a CAR right in front of you! To point should be to alert the driver who is NOT paying attention in time for him/her to apply the brakes so that emergency braking will not be necessary.

The system does show the visual distance on one of the menus to the right. You have to scroll through.

Jman99, have you looked at setting the notification distance longer in the menus?

Oh, it does work with the cruise, it will slow down to a stop. But like I said, I got what I considered awfully close and hit my brakes in an everyday driving situation
My 2019 Grand Touring has the exact same issues, dealer checked it out and said there where no issues... finally, several times when I was driving agressively the HUD turned on a red BRAKE, which I did before the system intervened! I've read others ended up turning it off because it intervened to often!

Jman99, have you looked at setting the notification distance longer in the menus?
Yes, I have it set on "far". In desperation I even tried "near" but that was, as expected, worse. As I said, it's not that the system doesn't work, just that it doesn't provide an audible warning earlier. Thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am very happy with the car overall.

My 2019 Grand Touring has the exact same issues, dealer checked it out and said there where no issues... finally, several times when I was driving agressively the HUD turned on a red BRAKE, which I did before the system intervened! I've read others ended up turning it off because it intervened to often!
Yes, I have gotten the BRAKE warning to come on, but I did not dare wait another millisecond before applying the brakes. My point is only that an audible warning before this late point would have been good. I agree that a system that is too aggressive about intervening is worse because most drivers will find it annoying and so turn off the system entirely. I had that problem with a 2017 Infinity G70. The CX5 (GT Reserve) is a great car and I am very happy overall.

You got the flashing pre- warning on the dash long before the smart brake kicks in either audible or HUD warning.
The white area flashes when you are too close. Before the smart brake system.

Not to mention a diligent driver can spot when too close is too close.

20210404_212627.jpg

Think we are mixing up pedestrian system vs cars warning system. The radar system shows the distance to the car in front. When too close then icon flashes as a visual pre-warning. When the system actually triggers then its the big "brake warning" with audible and eventually car slams brakes second after.

Not sure what system we are talking about here. My 2019 CX-5 GT/PP gives me the "Big brake Warning" with the audible warning every time I drive up on someone exiting the highway and I have never had the brakes applied. I just get the warning.

Back