Small dents on car's bonnet

:
Mazda CX-5 2015 FWD GT
Hi,

Recently I noticed that there are 4 small dents (dimples as defined by beepi.com) on my CX-5's bonnet.

These are 4 in the center of the car and near to each other, as if in a pattern. No chipped paint but in the area, near these dents, usual dust was off as if someone touched/sit on it.

In the week prior to when I noticed these, car was in the service center and parked in public lot for a couple of times. Not sure who or what caused these but I wanted to know what are my options now? I hate the slightest imperfection to my car and this was a like a small tragedy for me. Can these be fixed cleanly? Or bonnet replacement is the only option, estimated cost for the same?

Thanks.

This is not rocket science. You have three options:

1. Repair
2. Ignore
3. Use big hammer until original dents are no longer visible.

I would choose option 2. You sound like you may want option 1.

Google "paintless dent repair" in your area and have a reputable shop take a look at the damage. If the paint is not damaged, these guys can work wonders with their specialized tools for not much $$$.

I love how people assume that someone or something hit your car. That fact is that there have been manny complaints about dimples forming on the sides of these cars just under the hood line. Mine has the same issue on both sides. I just chalk it up to sky active tinfoil design!

I love how people assume that someone or something hit your car. That fact is that there have been manny complaints about dimples forming on the sides of these cars just under the hood line. Mine has the same issue on both sides. I just chalk it up to sky active tinfoil design!
"Manny (many) complaints"? I've been on this forum for thr years and this is the first I've heard of this. Pictures?

Hi,

Recently I noticed that there are 4 small dents (dimples as defined by beepi.com) on my CX-5's bonnet.

These are 4 in the center of the car and near to each other, as if in a pattern. No chipped paint but in the area, near these dents, usual dust was off as if someone touched/sit on it.

In the week prior to when I noticed these, car was in the service center and parked in public lot for a couple of times. Not sure who or what caused these but I wanted to know what are my options now? I hate the slightest imperfection to my car and this was a like a small tragedy for me. Can these be fixed cleanly? Or bonnet replacement is the only option, estimated cost for the same?

Thanks.
Photos would be helpful.

I'll definitely share some photos soon. I am also planning to send those to the service center and independent body shops to know about the possible cause and options I have.

If I go with a repair route, do I need to notify my insurance prior to that?

@Heritage07 - definitely interesting to know that it is a common problem with these (new Mazda) cars.

Hail. Have you had any severe thunderstorms in your area recently? Back in June we had a nasty storm come through north of Baltimore. Grapefruit size hail in the worst hit area. Very rare for this region. I was at work a few miles north of where the worst of it was happening and watched the storm outside my office window. Pea size or bigger, I thought. Didn't notice anything on the car until about a month later when my windshield cracked. I thought is was one of the stress fractures I've seen talked about on here, but the dealer (I went there first) though there was an indent at the crack and then the insurance adjustor pointed out five or six dents on the roof from the hail and said the windshield initially cracked from the storm. Not sure if I believed him on the windshield, but got everything fixed. It was hard to see the dents on the white car. The paintless dent repair works from the inside. They take down the headliner and probably use rollers to smooth out the dents. I didn't actually see them do it. The dents were easy. It took a week to get the new glass. Worse yet, I drove a rental Ford Escape for over a week. UGH.

I am quite in tune with even a small ballpoint pin chip on any of my cars. Not seeing any weird dimples on my CX-5.

None here as well

I am quite in tune with even a small ballpoint pin chip on any of my cars. Not seeing any weird dimples on my CX-5.

Same here, so far...BUT as winter approaches, so does the desert wind, not to mention the sanding trucks!...SANDBLAST!

I had some paintless dent removal done on my Ford F150. I was amazed that this person was able to get the dents out without ruining the paint. The cost of this was covered by the dealership, but I remember the price being very reasonable.

Pictures of dimples:
IMG_20150902_101905.jpg

IMG_20150902_101918.jpg

but not sure if those are visible or not.

I also found this thing in the center cup holder below the rubber mat in it:
IMG_20150925_190424.jpg

Any idea what is it and if this looks fine in my car?

You can check out my photos here of a recent post regarding paintless dent removal. I'm sure the PDR artists can take care of your hood quite easily. Your profile shows you being in the US, but it's quite curious that you're referring to your hood as a "bonnet." If you're not in fact in the US, I'm not certain this type of service would be available (invented in NYC, but may have migrated overseas since 1960). I'm a big believer though and highly recommend this for your type of repair if you have people in your hometown available. Good luck and hope to see a repaired hood soon! If you're in Norcal, PM me and I can give you the contact info for my guy.

Last edited:
The Bonnet and Mazda

You can check out my photos here of a recent post regarding paintless dent removal. I'm sure the PDR artists can take care of your hood quite easily. Your profile shows you being in the US, but it's quite curious that you're referring to your hood as a "bonnet." If you're not in fact in the US, I'm not certain this type of service would be available (invented in NYC, but may have migrated overseas since 1960). I'm a big believer though and highly recommend this for your type of repair if you have people in your hometown available. Good luck and hope to see a repaired hood soon! If you're in Norcal, PM me and I can give you the contact info for my guy.

Funny as it may seem, I have had my own troubles at the dealer when looking for Mazda Parts. Mazda still refers to most parts (ie: Bonnet) with European names! Last time I simply needed a fuse panel cover (interior) and after 1 hr of the dealer searching, had to provide the actual part number for them to find it. The nomenclature can be confusing for Americans...Last time I used European part names was on a 1976 Triumph Tr-6...LOL.

Last time I used PDR was on a Crease on a fender of a 1981 Porsche SC...Was simply amazing!

Pretty pictures of the sky...that's one shiny car! I can't really make out the dents / dimples.

No idea of the cause of the dents on yours, but one thing I've noticed since I've got my Mazda: some of the neighborhood cats like to go up onto the top of it and then jump down onto the hood or back hatch. They never did this to my old Toyota, not sure why my new car is so attractive to them :( But those muddy paw prints really show up on the Crystal Pearl finish, especially the morning after I've washed the car and step out into the driveway and find little pawprints all over the place. I'm guessing they are jumping down because some of the prints indicate a landing and a slide, instead of just little steps. It's not very likely, but I suppose a really big cat bouncing from the roof onto the front hood *maybe* could cause a dimple without a scratch.

Pretty pictures of the sky...that's one shiny car! I can't really make out the dents / dimples.

No idea of the cause of the dents on yours, but one thing I've noticed since I've got my Mazda: some of the neighborhood cats like to go up onto the top of it and then jump down onto the hood or back hatch. They never did this to my old Toyota, not sure why my new car is so attractive to them :( But those muddy paw prints really show up on the Crystal Pearl finish, especially the morning after I've washed the car and step out into the driveway and find little pawprints all over the place. I'm guessing they are jumping down because some of the prints indicate a landing and a slide, instead of just little steps. It's not very likely, but I suppose a really big cat bouncing from the roof onto the front hood *maybe* could cause a dimple without a scratch.

One word. Envy! Obviously people are envy how pamper your car, its very obvious its very shiny.

Back