SkyActiv Oil Analysis Thread

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
Oil filter with good quality doesnt mean it meets Mazdas unique high-flow specification for SkyActiv-G engines. According to Mobil 1 website, M1-108A oil filter is compatible with many other filters including both Mazda OEM B6Y1-14-302A and PE01-14-302A filters unfortunately Mazda USA has said conventional B6Y1-14-302A filter cant be used on SkyActiv-Gs due to different specs. A single filter definitely cant meet the requirements of 2 filters with different specs.

Skyactiv Oil Filters

So you are claiming the Mobl1 filter is defective and will not work properly on a Mazda engine?

That only a Mazda oil filter will work ?

I find that hard to believe.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
So you are claiming the Mobl1 filter is defective and will not work properly on a Mazda engine?

That only a Mazda oil filter will work ?

I find that hard to believe.
Since Mobil 1 doesnt provide more detailed specs such as by-pass psi pressure and filtering media rating, nobody knows. Any oil filter would provide protection and we wont see the effect of bad filters unless its been used for a long while. Your previous favorite Bosch ST3300 oil filter is also said to be compatible with both Mazdas unique high-flow OEM filter and conventional OEM filter, but once dig into it we have found its not so much compatible with Mazdas high-flow filter after all.

Just use common sense, how can a manufacture make one oil filter to meet the specs of two internally different filters? They have to compromise one way or another. Most likely the manufacture doesnt make a new filter as long as theres an existing filter fits. Wix made a new 57002 filte just to meet new specs by SkyActiv-G although Wix has an older 51365 filter which fits. See RepeatMazdas post for more details.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I believe you've seen my post in another thread with links showing thosd 3 Mazda OEM oil filters been cut open and checked after several thousand miles of service and made in Mexico Mazda filter looked as good as the other 2.

Yes you're right. I was just taken aback by your earlier comment of not being sure what you are going to do once the Japan filters are gone. I figured if the Thailand and Mexico filters are fine, then there wouldn't really be any question here and no reason to worry.

I'm worried about what am I going to do when I run out my 23 Japanese made Mazda OEM PE01-14-302A oil filters I cleared out from the inventory of Med Center Mazda? (boom03)

That's why I was wondering if there was suddenly a reason to not use the Mexico ones.

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Yes you're right. I was just taken aback by your earlier comment of not being sure what you are going to do once the Japan filters are gone. I figured if the Thailand and Mexico filters are fine, then there wouldn't really be any question here and no reason to worry.

That's why I was wondering if there was suddenly a reason to not use the Mexico ones.
It's "funny" when I saw RepeatMazda bought 40+ bottles of Idemitsu oil just like I did getting 24 made in Japan Mazda oil filters clearing out the inventory for something we really like for our CX-5. I said that "jokingly" and nothing but "happy" to see some people who love cars would have similar behavior like me and another member here who ran and ordered 2 dozens of Japanese made filter for his CX-5 a while ago!

I still prefer Tokyo Roki Japanese filter. It's the heaviest and has the best quality among 3 OEM filters. It comes with greased O-ring gasket、shrink wrapped seal on baseplate preventing dust、and packaged in a sealed paper box. Thai and Mexican OEM oil filters do serve their purpose but definitely are not made as very high standard as the Japanese one, including the packaging. :)

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
It's "funny" when I saw RepeatMazda bought 40+ bottles of Idemitsu oil just like I did getting 24 made in Japan Mazda oil filters clearing out the inventory for something we really like for our CX-5. I said that "jokingly" and nothing but "happy" to see some people who love cars would have similar behavior like me and another member here who ran and ordered 2 dozens of Japanese made filter for his CX-5 a while ago!

I still prefer Tokyo Roki Japanese filter. It's the heaviest and has the best quality among 3 OEM filters. It comes with greased O-ring gasket、shrink wrapped seal on baseplate preventing dust、and packaged in a sealed paper box. Thai and Mexican OEM oil filters do serve their purpose but definitely are not made as very high standard as the Japanese one, including the packaging. :)

Yeah, I get where you are coming from on that front.

If I can somehow find some Japanese made filters for mine in the future, I will certainly be picking those up.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring

Yeah, I get where you are coming from on that front.

If I can somehow find some Japanese made filters for mine in the future, I will certainly be picking those up.

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
Hey everyone! First post here, though I have checked in and read a few threads on occasion. I've been on BITOG for a long time now but never had a need to do a UOA. With the purchase of my second CX-5 (First one was a '14 GT) and the OLM option that was given on the '16.5 model year, I decided it was the perfect opportunity. Based on my driving it seems optimistic. I've never had it get below 50%

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - Present - SynPower 0w20

am I reading this correctly?
You did 10,000mi on the oil and the in-car oil life monitor still had oil life at 50%!?

:
'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
You did 10,000mi on the oil and the in-car oil life monitor still had oil life at 50%!?

Yes, that is correct. Interestingly enough, I just changed the oil a week ago at around 9,200 miles and it read 40%. I mailed that sample on 3/6 so hopefully I receive the report soon.

The Japanese made filters are going to be for the JDM only. So a trip to Japan [emoji627] would be your best bet but then that would make the filters super expensive not to mention customs when you arrive back home.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
The Japanese made filters are going to be for the JDM only. So a trip to Japan [emoji627] would be your best bet but then that would make the filters super expensive not to mention customs when you arrive back home.

Uhh yeah...then Thailand filter it is!

:
2013 CX-5 6MT
Yes, that is correct. Interestingly enough, I just changed the oil a week ago at around 9,200 miles and it read 40%. I mailed that sample on 3/6 so hopefully I receive the report soon.

Seems like it could go all the way to 20k! Makes me feel even more comfortable running mine on Schedule 1 (7,500mi) instead of 5000mi

What are your driving habits? Very few short trips I assume?

:
'16.5 CX-5 Touring AWD
Seems like it could go all the way to 20k! Makes me feel even more comfortable running mine on Schedule 1 (7,500mi) instead of 5000mi

What are your driving habits? Very few short trips I assume?

Mostly suburban. One or two long highway trips to the in-laws each month which are each roughly 180 miles round trip. Work commute is 10.5 miles each way, 3-4 days a week. We're driving about 100-120 miles a week. I definitely wouldn't run the oil to 20k. I believe that Mazda's OLM system isn't calibrated correctly and is potentially allowing users to go longer than they should. Even using the 10k max which was given for the '16 model, at 10k miles in the winter with my driving style, I'm seeing higher than acceptable fuel dilution. A proper OLM system should be calibrated in a way where it takes these variables into account so that oil is changed more often in order to reduce the fuel buildup. The fact that Mazda decreased the maximum to 7,500 miles in '17 is telling. I have an e-mail ouy to Mazda about the matter and will post a response when (if) I receive one.

Ha, that's me.

ColoradoDriver

Gen-1 Kodo Design
Contributor
:
Denver, CO
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have an e-mail ouy to Mazda about the matter and will post a response when (if) I receive one.

Good luck. Sent an email asking about the "lifetime" transmission fluid and what they were defining as "lifetime". That was 3/1. Still waiting...

yrwei52

Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Hey everyone! First post here, though I have checked in and read a few threads on occasion. I've been on BITOG for a long time now but never had a need to do a UOA. With the purchase of my second CX-5 (First one was a '14 GT) and the OLM option that was given on the '16.5 model year, I decided it was the perfect opportunity. Based on my driving it seems optimistic. I've never had it get below 50%. Seems to me that the cold weather we experience here definitely is a cause for fuel dilution in the winter. I've got about 1k miles left on this OCI and I suspect to see similar results as UOA #2. I'll be dropping down to 1 year or 8k miles on the next two OCI and see if that improves the dilution results. Let me know if you have any questions!

0 - 1,169 - Factory Fill
1,169 - 10,120 - Mag1 0w20
10,120 - 19,949 - Mobil Super Syn 0w20
19,949 - 30,031 - Mobil 1 EP 0w20
30,031 - Present - SynPower 0w20
I believe something may be wrong with the OLM on RepeatMazda's 2016.5 CX-5. The red wrench indicator and "Oil change due" in the right cluster should pop up when the calculation by OLM is reached to the maximum OCI at 10,000 miles or 12 months for 2016(.5) CX-5. Mine would display about 30% oil life left at about 5,000~6,000 miles of oil service with mostly city driving. I did have an ECM software update for Flexibleg oil change monitor which fixed most weird issues on it based on a TSB.

ENGINE OIL FLEXIBLE MAINTENANCE DOES NOT WORK 2014-2016 Mazda Vehicles