SKYACTIV II with HCCI to debut within weeks

I would just like to say, quit acting like a bunch of teenage millennials. I'm 28 I'm sure most of you are at least my age or older. Until about a year ago there was way less whining. If MikeM. (come back dood!) was still here my inbox would be full all the time. Please and thank you. (group)

Mango, you're still having trouble grasping the concept. the vast majority of people buying a mid sized sedan go for the 4 cylinder. can you just for once make sense and compare apples to apples here? the 4 cylinder smokes all of its 4 CYLINDER competitors and is more efficient at the same time. the reason why it's not selling well is mainly because Mazda's reputation is not as strong as honda or toyota. it's a small company.. the lack of a faster engine has something to do with it, but it wouldnt turn the 6 into a class leader overnight because most people in this segment opt for the 4 cylinder. I've already explained this to you... jesus christ.

my dad doesnt give a s*** about residual or resale value, he will just go and buy another one when the current cars time is up. he loves the car and doesnt care about all these nitpicky things that you mentioned.

you have to understand that there is more to enjoying a car then what it offers on paper. the way that the mazda 6 involves the driver while still being practical and efficient was a key selling point in itself. it doesnt drive like a toyota appliance and it's more peppy and efficient then the accord. just because it lags behind the competition in terms of brand image doesnt mean it's a bad car... you've only driven the cx-5 which is too tall and heavy for the adequate output of the 2.5L, so you dont understand the appeal of the smaller mazdas.

the 6 weights 3200 pounds. the 2.5L is perfectly suited to the car.

I mentioned in that post that he was looking for a 4 cylinder. all he really needs is just a decent mid range and good MPG, he's not an aggressive driver at all.

the honda accord drove pretty nice, but we werent impressed with the drivetrain response in comparison to the mazda and while revving it to 7000rpm would be fun (with a manual anyway) that does absolutely nothing for your average daily driving where you spend lots of time below 3000RPM. the way the mazda delivers the torque was just outright better.

I'll partially agree with you on Honda/Toyota reputation as being a contributing factor but guess what? They've EARNED that reputation. I still see plenty of Accords and Camry's from the 90s on roads today 25 years later. How many Mazda 626's from the 90s do you still see running? They're all in scrapyards. And it's not just Accord's and Camrys that also outsell it, but also Kia Optima, VW Passat and Hyndai Sonata as well. Does that mean Hyndai and freaking Kia have a better reputation as well? That's pretty sad if true. And your dad bought a Mazda6 over a Camry and Accord, that's great. There are also people out there that will buy Chrysler over a Toyota for their own reasons, who cares?

And the way the Mazda6 'involves the driver as well as being efficient is a key selling point?' That's funny to use 'selling point' when the car doesn't even sell. I also think it's very telling how no one else here on the forums backs up your argument, likely due to the Mazda6 regularly getting bashed here for it's lack of power by it's own members. Hope your dad enjoys his Mazda6:)

True point. The most prolific old gen mazdas are the Miatas and Rx7's.. in other words, enthusiasts cars. The average joe who can' change their own oil no longer has those early 90's Mazda 626/929 (RWD!)/323/millenia etc. I think the 6 would do better if it had the Europe/Japan market options (2.2D, AWD, wagon). This HCCI should change the outlook, as I've been told the AWD mz6 will be in North America soon, with the new motor. In which case it will basically be a new mazdaspeed6 but without the MSP name.

AWD Mazda 6 has been out for a while in Europe and Japan. Wonder what made them decide to bring it to USA (uhm)

My guess is all new next model version (if it still has AWD option) might be shipped with HCCI

Last edited:
I'll partially agree with you on Honda/Toyota reputation as being a contributing factor but guess what? They've EARNED that reputation. I still see plenty of Accords and Camry's from the 90s on roads today 25 years later. How many Mazda 626's from the 90s do you still see running? They're all in scrapyards. And it's not just Accord's and Camrys that also outsell it, but also Kia Optima, VW Passat and Hyndai Sonata as well. Does that mean Hyndai and freaking Kia have a better reputation as well? That's pretty sad if true. And your dad bought a Mazda6 over a Camry and Accord, that's great. There are also people out there that will buy Chrysler over a Toyota for their own reasons, who cares?

And the way the Mazda6 'involves the driver as well as being efficient is a key selling point?' That's funny to use 'selling point' when the car doesn't even sell. I also think it's very telling how no one else here on the forums backs up your argument, likely due to the Mazda6 regularly getting bashed here for it's lack of power by it's own members. Hope your dad enjoys his Mazda6:)

That's not really fair.

Toyota was toyota...in the 90s.
Mazda was a crap sockpuppet for ford in the 90s.

True point. The most prolific old gen mazdas are the Miatas and Rx7's.. in other words, enthusiasts cars. The average joe who can' change their own oil no longer has those early 90's Mazda 626/929 (RWD!)/323/millenia etc. I think the 6 would do better if it had the Europe/Japan market options (2.2D, AWD, wagon). This HCCI should change the outlook, as I've been told the AWD mz6 will be in North America soon, with the new motor. In which case it will basically be a new mazdaspeed6 but without the MSP name.

I also think the 6 would do better with AWD and wagon options. Most automakers decided that Americans don't want wagons anymore and dropped them, which allowed Subaru to really build their market share. And now that they've dropped the Legacy wagon and made the Outback more SUV-like, the only one who sells a reasonably priced AWD wagon in the US is VW. The other options (BMW, Volvo, Merc) are pretty spendy. The Mazda6 wagon is sporty and sharp looking and could carve out a niche there. I know that if I could get a 6 wagon with AWD and 2.2D, I would buy that. I'd take that over the CX-5 with 2.2D I've been waiting for.

My dear Mango, plese stop posting here. Thank you.

That's not really fair.

Toyota was toyota...in the 90s.
Mazda was a crap sockpuppet for ford in the 90s.
This was the reputation I had of Mazda back when I was shopping for a car in 2013. As a kid, I remember my mom having a piece of crap Mazda. I didn't even consider a CX-5 until I started researching and thought maybe it was worth a look.

Glad I did. :)

Swinging back around to HCCI, really awesome if they end up being the new gen of Mazdaspeed without the Mazdaspeed monicker.

Last edited:
I also think the 6 would do better with AWD and wagon options. Most automakers decided that Americans don't want wagons anymore and dropped them, which allowed Subaru to really build their market share. And now that they've dropped the Legacy wagon and made the Outback more SUV-like, the only one who sells a reasonably priced AWD wagon in the US is VW. The other options (BMW, Volvo, Merc) are pretty spendy. The Mazda6 wagon is sporty and sharp looking and could carve out a niche there. I know that if I could get a 6 wagon with AWD and 2.2D, I would buy that. I'd take that over the CX-5 with 2.2D I've been waiting for.

I second that. Buick is releasing a new set of wagons and Volvo still sells a good number of them. The time could be right for Mazda to bring the 6 wagon back o the USA. I think it would do better than the sedan.

I second that. Buick is releasing a new set of wagons and Volvo still sells a good number of them. The time could be right for Mazda to bring the 6 wagon back o the USA. I think it would do better than the sedan.
Noticed the resale on V60s is terribad ... Some 2016s with 20k miles on them for 22000 USD. I would love the 6 wagon AWD touring. Would have all i need still being cheap to run.
What does a typical Volvo service runs into? $ wise

I just saw a 1990 mazda 626 being driven down the road just the other day. You may see more Toyota/Honda vehicles from the 90's because they sold more cars. They can sell more cars because they are much larger companies, with more dealerships. There are people living in places where they can go right down the road and buy a new Toyota, but a mazda dealership might be 2 hours away.
Just to compare you say you see plenty of accords and cameras from the 90's on the roads. I bet if you go to a wrecking yard you will see 20 times as many camry's and accord's in there than 626's. There was nothing wrong with mazda in the early 90's, or even the 80's. These cars were rock solid. My GLC came with 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. I never had a chance to use the warranty because the car was that good. I got almost 400,000 miles on my 90 626 before I gave it to a friend and bought the CX-5. In contrast my friends 1993 Accord made it to 170,000 before it went to the junk yard.

Toyota and Honda are a safe bet purchase, reliable and hold their value well.
Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Hyundai/Kia, Ford, GM and VW or all giants, with a very large dealer network. Here in the bay area, I can easily find multiple Honda/Toyota dealerships all pretty close. For a Mazda dealership, there is only one which is close enough for normal mid-week maintenance, without needing to sit in rush-hour traffic for too long.

People don't always buy what makes sense and different things matter for different people. Excellent chassis is not high on the list for many drivers. They don't understand the difference. Even in this forum, it seems some people equate 'fun' only with straight line acceleration and engine output.

While I too crave a Mazda 6 AWD Wagon, sales figures for anything wagon, such as BMW / Audi / MB and even Volvo, are pretty sad compared to their CUV and Sedan variants. All except Subaru. Another proof that the US buying public makes questionable buying decisions as wagons are more practical, more fun to drive than a CUV, get better fuel economy, weigh less, have lower center of gravity and typically have more interior volume.
Similarly with higher power trims. Most people get the 4 cylinders anyway.

Back