SiriusXM reception problems?

mcbrains

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 Signature
New member here. I've had my CX-9 Signature since the 4th of July and have around 2500 miles on it. I periodically drive on Colonial Parkway that runs between Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown in Virginia, which is pretty heavily wooded. (Beautiful drive, check it out sometime). However, I get extremely poor SiriusXM reception on that road with my brand new CX-9. The station will fade and eventually change (due to loss of reception) back to Channel 1 (demo channel) which is very strong. I've lived here for over 35 years and a Sirius or XM subscriber for over 15. I have had 8 different cars with Sirius or XM radio, both factory and standalone installs and drive that road very often and have never had so poor reception. I have never dropped a channel on Colonial Parkway until now. The local Mazda dealer checked the Infotainment firmware version and said that it is the most up-to-date. I haven't gone back to have them actually troubleshoot because I really don't think that they know how to or even will.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue with the SiriusXM service?

We experience reception problems with our 2012 and had our dealership check it to find nothing wrong. I always wondered if it is something with caching of data or something. I do not have the problem with my factory OEM xm service in my 2007 Saab 9-5 on the same routes. It is weird but we have not been able to rectify it. Not sure if the 2016 module is different from the 2012 or not; I would assume so.

total shot in the dark - doesn't the parkway run by Fort Eustis and Camp Peary? Could it be interference? ( from the alien space ships housed there? :) )

New member here. I've had my CX-9 Signature since the 4th of July and have around 2500 miles on it. I periodically drive on Colonial Parkway that runs between Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown in Virginia, which is pretty heavily wooded. (Beautiful drive, check it out sometime). However, I get extremely poor SiriusXM reception on that road with my brand new CX-9. The station will fade and eventually change (due to loss of reception) back to Channel 1 (demo channel) which is very strong. I've lived here for over 35 years and a Sirius or XM subscriber for over 15. I have had 8 different cars with Sirius or XM radio, both factory and standalone installs and drive that road very often and have never had so poor reception. I have never dropped a channel on Colonial Parkway until now. The local Mazda dealer checked the Infotainment firmware version and said that it is the most up-to-date. I haven't gone back to have them actually troubleshoot because I really don't think that they know how to or even will.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue with the SiriusXM service?
My 2016 CX9 has poor XM reception as well. Even the FM reception is not up to par as my other cars. Not acceptable in a 2016 car in my opinion.

Our 2011 experiences lots of dropouts as well. I suspect it is switching from terrestrial to satellite, but as the cx9 screen has no source indicator, can't be certain.

I just experienced that yesterday on a fairly clear stretch of I95 north of New Haven. It is my third car with XM/Sirius and the first with such poor reception. Two previous ones (both German) had absolutely no problems even though one had a shark fin antenna and one a regular one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been my first experience with Sirius in my CX-9 (free trial). I'm also underwhelmed at the reception. There are places along my daily driving route that I can identify lack of line-of-sight to the southern sky but in other places (interstate) I'm a little surprised the signal drops out. For me, that clinched my decision to let the trial run out without renewing.

Back