Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Ironically, yesterday I got a carwash. This is the second time that this has occurred AFTER a car-wash.

So how many times has it happened unrelated to a car wash?

I've only had the one "Complete Failure to Load XM" on my Reserve, but the intermittent Voice Recognition issue I've had still persists.

As an aside, I don't use the NAV very often, and when I loaded a Destination in it last week and it timed down to begin the trip, it failed to give me directions (nothing on the Infotainment screen, nothing on the HUD, no voice directions). I could bring the route up in the system, so it plotted the path...it just wasn't sharing. So as I was driving, I decided to pull into a gas station and reboot the system. All it took was for me to turn slightly in the opposite direction of the destination, and the thing woke up: "Recalculating Route." Then the directions came up, both displayed as well as spoken.

I've never had sophisticated systems like this. I wonder if they're all this flaky.

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
So how many times has it happened unrelated to a car wash?

I've only had the one "Complete Failure to Load XM" on my Reserve, but the intermittent Voice Recognition issue I've had still persists.

As an aside, I don't use the NAV very often, and when I loaded a Destination in it last week and it timed down to begin the trip, it failed to give me directions (nothing on the Infotainment screen, nothing on the HUD, no voice directions). I could bring the route up in the system, so it plotted the path...it just wasn't sharing. So as I was driving, I decided to pull into a gas station and reboot the system. All it took was for me to turn slightly in the opposite direction of the destination, and the thing woke up: "Recalculating Route." Then the directions came up, both displayed as well as spoken.

I've never had sophisticated systems like this. I wonder if they're all this flaky.

I suspect that they're not all this flaky - the Infotainment on the CX-5 (and inherently any Mazda's apart from the new 3) are just horrendous. They're slow, and way too much clicking and scrolling and stuff.

:
If you do go to your dealer on this issue, definitely mention the possibly related car wash factor. I mean, unlikely in a more modern car, but maybe possible that moisture is getting into/onto something that's causing a problem with the Sirius box or the connections/antenna's ability to connect and confirm your unit as being subscribed. It just seems odd that it has happened both times soon afterwards.

Definitely will.

Does anyone know where the SiriusXM module IS on our car? I know the antenna is clearly on the roof, but where is the actual receiver? It must be behind the dash?

I would think if it WAS water contamination or moisture, that the issue would only have happened right away - but both times it was literally the next day.

:
I commented elsewhere that I had this sequence of It Works/It Fails:

-My last trip of the day did not work
-Next morning: Worked
-90 minutes later left that destination: Did not work
-Drove to a store, shopped for 5 minutes, came out & started the car: Did not work
-Drove across the street to get gas, started the car up to leave: Worked
-Drove to the grocery store and shopped, started the car up to leave: Worked
-Got home, hung out for several hours, started the car up to leave: Did not work

The thing is that the last week or so, it worked 90% of the time and failed rarely.
But I'm retired, and do not drive every day. When I do drive, it's usually hopping from one store/gas station to the next (several successive restarts of the car).

Again, the occasional failure is when using VR and saying "XM [station name]." Saying "XM [station#]" never fails. No other feature has failed (no blank screens), but I don't use other Infotainment stuff.

I have not taken it in to the dealer. I'm waiting to see if other issues arise.

I've had this happen a couple times since I posted this, and everytime it's happened (despite me having got a carwash the day before), the ONE thing I noticed I had done was plugged my phone in to Carplay WHILE the Infotainment system was still booting up.

I'm wondering if the best-practice would be to let it completely boot before connecting my phone?

Have you noticed any similar behaviour with yours?

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I've had this happen a couple times since I posted this, and everytime it's happened (despite me having got a carwash the day before), the ONE thing I noticed I had done was plugged my phone in to Carplay WHILE the Infotainment system was still booting up.

I'm wondering if the best-practice would be to let it completely boot before connecting my phone?

Have you noticed any similar behaviour with yours?

I had the same thought. I don't use my phone all that much, and never for anything other than a phone (or a mobile HotSpot at home).

I have only connected my phone to my car via BlueTooth, and do not connect it every time I'm in the car.

I have had the VR issue when my phone was not connected at all.

I have the exact same problem with my '19 Reserve.
It's frustrating that it happens so randomly. For the last 2 times, the Sirius Reset signal has fixed it.
Called the dealer today, at first, they tried to blame Sirius, but I had it on a '15 CX-5 without a problem, and I have it on a Corvette I own without a problem.
They didn't like it when I said "Stop saying it's Sirius!"
So, it's going in the shop on Thursday, and they're going to look at it. (or so they say)

:
Have them update the infotainment system to version .335 if you can. It just came out and fixed a lot of my issues.

Avoidin Deer

Zoom Zoom, baby
Contributor
:
Central Virginia
:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
I have the exact same problem with my '19 Reserve.
It's frustrating that it happens so randomly. For the last 2 times, the Sirius Reset signal has fixed it.
Called the dealer today, at first, they tried to blame Sirius, but I had it on a '15 CX-5 without a problem, and I have it on a Corvette I own without a problem.
They didn't like it when I said "Stop saying it's Sirius!"
So, it's going in the shop on Thursday, and they're going to look at it. (or so they say)

I've had XM radio since the early days. I still have an old original Delphi unit and have had XM in a couple of vehicles.

The only radio I've ever had an XM issue with has been the CX-5 system.

:
2017 CX-5 GT
Had this issue come up with me today, on a 2019 GTR. I am running 335 of the software, but one thing I usually do is plug my phone in during boot-up. I noticed the problem when I tried to use the Siri*sXM Travellink app and noticed it was not there.
Going to test it out later, with waiting for the system to come up fully, before plugging in my phone.

:
2017 CX-5 GT
So letting system boot up, before plugging in phone, seemed to work. Siriusxm travellink also started working again too.

:
2019 CX-5 White Pearl Sig
Mine was working perfectly fine last night when I parked the car. Turned the car on this morning, and the FM radio came on (which I *never* listen to). When I tried to switch to SiriusXM, I got the same message as you got "Channel unavailable". However, channels 300-306 were there, and were listenable.

Me too. I've had the system boot up two or three times and be on FM which I don't use. I was able to switch to XM immediately but there was one instance in which I was stuck with just the few channels in the 300's. Shut the car off for five minutes and everything was fine on startup. Not going to do anything about it at this point but will start documenting each instance in case it escalates.

Me too. I've had the system boot up two or three times and be on FM which I don't use. I was able to switch to XM immediately but there was one instance in which I was stuck with just the few channels in the 300's. Shut the car off for five minutes and everything was fine on startup. Not going to do anything about it at this point but will start documenting each instance in case it escalates.

Have the dealer do the update. Works like a charm so far for me!

JFK

:
CX5
I have had problems with the Sirius since the day I bought my 2019 CX5. It will work fine and then it goes to not working. You need to park it overnight and then it will start to work the next day. I have had it in for service over 7 times. They have replaced everything facet of the Sirius and it still has issues. I even brought it in when it was not working and they could not figure it out. I filed a lemon law action and I am now in the process of trying to get a replacement car or my money back. The Dealer is useless. I have bought 4 Mazdas over the last 10 years and this one broke me. Its Lexus from now on. Everyone from the Dealer to Mazda US has been useless. It has the same symptoms as what everyone else is stating here. The dealer told me that they only had this happen with one other Mazda in VA. The only problem is Im in FL so how does that help me? From what I can see here there are a lot more with this issue.

:
I have had problems with the Sirius since the day I bought my 2019 CX5. It will work fine and then it goes to not working. You need to park it overnight and then it will start to work the next day. I have had it in for service over 7 times. They have replaced everything facet of the Sirius and it still has issues. I even brought it in when it was not working and they could not figure it out. I filed a lemon law action and I am now in the process of trying to get a replacement car or my money back. The Dealer is useless. I have bought 4 Mazdas over the last 10 years and this one broke me. Its Lexus from now on. Everyone from the Dealer to Mazda US has been useless. It has the same symptoms as what everyone else is stating here. The dealer told me that they only had this happen with one other Mazda in VA. The only problem is Im in FL so how does that help me? From what I can see here there are a lot more with this issue.

I find.. that i have issues with it almost EVERY time if I do not let the entire entertainment system boot up. Like, before I even plug in my phone for Carplay, etc. I just let eveything boot for about 1 min to 1.5 mins, THEN I'll touch the commander knob and move stuff around.

I don't touch the etnertainmetn system at ALL while its booting.

I've had many issues. it seems like the entertainment system is very very sensitive if u do not let it boot.