Sirius XM antenna question

:
2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/ Mazda3 18 rims
I have found out that the OEM antenna connector for CX-5 with bose is called a FAKRA connector. My question is will the OEM satellite antenna work with the current model Sirius XV300 that plugs in to aftermarket infotainment units such as my AVIC-8200NEX? I believe adaptors exist (per Sonic Electronix) but I don't want to buy one if they don't work or buy the wrong one. Haven't found anyone who says Oh yeah this is what you need for 2015 CX-5. I don't wanna be the gineau pig if somebody already knows.

I find nothing to indicate where the factory satellite antenna plugs in to the factory head unit. Mazda isn't listed anywhere on the above adapter. I guess I'm the only one who has ever wanted to usr a factory satellite antenna on an aftermarket tuner

The Satellite Radio tuner is behind the glove box. I'll probably buy the most expensive piece as it claims to be universal - able to work with no matter what color Fakra connector you have.

The Satellite Radio tuner is behind the glove box. I'll probably buy the most expensive piece as it claims to be universal - able to work with no matter what color Fakra connector you have.

The glove box swings down pretty easily, it should be easy to look before you buy

Also here is a picture of the whole cx-5 xm kit, maybe that image of the antenna is enough?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Thanks for chiming in dude! haha! I'm going to go ahead and pull the trigger on the first link. The Amazon picture of the satellite tuner box was definitely helpful. I was able to zoom in and see where the antenna plugs in. There is another picture elsewhere on Amazon that actually shows a picture of the opposite end of the cable that plugs into the box.

While at first I was kind of bothered that Mazda didn't include the XM setup on Touring models but now, I don't care. XM radio sounds crappy, that's because they transmit on a very low frequency and songs sound really bad on XM radio.

With USB & Pandora, why even pay for stupid XM radio?

While at first I was kind of bothered that Mazda didn't include the XM setup on Touring models but now, I don't care. XM radio sounds crappy, that's because they transmit on a very low frequency and songs sound really bad on XM radio.

And if you do want XM you can stream via the app.

And if you do want XM you can stream via the app.

I assume the XM app on the cell phone is using cell towers to get the stream and NOT using the GPS/Sat connection?

Sirius and XM had to combine as one company in order to survive since they both were dying. Even now, XM is not doing well due to streaming apps like Pandora and such. Ask any audiophile, sat radio sounds horrible when it comes to song. A very digitized sound. I think it would equal to maybe 100 kbs in stream data.

I assume the XM app on the cell phone is using cell towers to get the stream and NOT using the GPS/Sat connection?

Sirius and XM had to combine as one company in order to survive since they both were dying. Even now, XM is not doing well due to streaming apps like Pandora and such. Ask any audiophile, sat radio sounds horrible when it comes to song. A very digitized sound. I think it would equal to maybe 100 kbs in stream data.

I don’t listen to xm as i am not going to pay for radio. But they do stream over data for those that want xm on the go. Cell or wifi - some kind of data connection.

@JAMESKJSVTCX-5 what was the outcome of this? I'm installing a 4400nex on Friday, had no idea I needed xm adaptor to retain the xm antenna. Thought it was built into the factory radio antenna via the Metra 40-HD10 adaptor I bought =/

I have nothing but excellent sound in all of my XM radios. I love several of the music channels that are curated by DJ's I like, and I don't mind paying because people who make music should get paid, something.

Any word on if you can use the factory Sirius tuner on an aftermarket headunit? I know I can get an adapter for the antenna, but what about the entire unit?

Back