Shutter Valve Recall Question

carter1551

:
03 Mp5
If the screw from this fell off would it be totally obvious? im just curious because it turns out that mine had this recall. I took it in and everything still seems fine but im just wondering if it would be completely obvious and it would affect the engine right away if the screw fell out or if it could be a thing that could happen over time, logic would tell me quick and obvious.

You would have a rattle, driveability issues, and possibly a spark plug wit h the electrode flattened. The recall is to have the intake manifold replaced. If the dealer did not do that, they did not comply with the recall.

Assuming that for some reason you wouldn't notice a machine gun going off in your engine bay, no, you'd never notice it! That, and the car sputtering, your CEL going off........

Yeah, you'd know.

RaiderMP5 said:
You would have a rattle, driveability issues, and possibly a spark plug wit h the electrode flattened. The recall is to have the intake manifold replaced. If the dealer did not do that, they did not comply with the recall.

they did comply.... they inspected his engine and found nothing wrong, so the intake manifold was good

you need to read the recall papers before coming to conclusions like that

ok i just wanted to check because yeah i would think a screw in the engine somewhere would make a lot of noise. Now I can rest a little easier, I got the recall done, pretty sure they just inspected it and everything looked cool, id have to look at all the paperwork again to be sure.

Wasn't my experience. I had already taken mine off & red loctited the s*** out of the VICS screws & took off the VTCS butterflies while working on another intake to remove VTCS completely. Later on, the car was at the shop for something else & they told me they were waiting on the recall intake to arrive after I asked what the hold up was. They didn't call & tell me anything about doing this before taking s*** apart or anything. Wasn't amused but whatever, I left that one on until finished with the ported/polished/non-VTCS one then swapped them back out so that nice fresh one is a spare. Point is they should have changed yours out if VIN was in range whether or not any screws had fallen out already. Mine wasn't having problems with that when it was there, they just saw that the recall had not been performed according to their computer & my VIN & basically said they HAD to perform it. I still woulda rather been notified first.

Last edited:
the Man is right, the recall notice (seen in the "we got our recall!!!!" thread, states it will be inspected, and replaced only if necessary. Base don what I had read here on the forum, it seems like they were all being swapped. I feel sorry for those not replaced, as you still never know if they will come loose and fall off, escpecially if you have knuckleheads molesting the car like my local stealership.

i12drivemyMP5 said:
Wasn't my experience. I had already taken mine off & red loctited the s*** out of the VICS screws & took off the VTCS butterflies while working on another intake to remove VTCS completely. Later on, the car was at the shop for something else & they told me they were waiting on the recall intake to arrive after I asked what the hold up was. They didn't call & tell me anything about doing this before taking s*** apart or anything. Wasn't amused but whatever, I left that one on until finished with the ported/polished/non-VTCS one then swapped them back out so that nice fresh one is a spare. Point is they should have changed yours out if VIN was in range whether or not any screws had fallen out already. Mine wasn't having problems with that when it was there, they just saw that the recall had not been performed according to their computer & my VIN & basically said they HAD to perform it. I still woulda rather been notified first.

Yes, I would think they would be able to tell you also & check the cleanliness under the hood. Unless your engine bay is kept spotless for the last 3 years then it should look a little fresher cleaner newer. Also check for the nice new green intake manifold gasket sticking up from between the head & intake. Make sure all the clips plugs bolts & all are in original positions. I have never gotten a car back from a dealer working on it & not been able to tell that someone had been there.

RaiderMP5 said:
the Man is right, the recall notice (seen in the "we got our recall!!!!" thread, states it will be inspected, and replaced only if necessary. Base don what I had read here on the forum, it seems like they were all being swapped. I feel sorry for those not replaced, as you still never know if they will come loose and fall off, escpecially if you have knuckleheads molesting the car like my local stealership.
Doesn't the fact that the VIN is included in their recall make it necessary? Sure seems like it should. What does inspect mean? Just listen for rattles? No machine gun - no new intake?

Maybe not so obvious. My car developed a sort of rattle. But nobody really could figure out what it was. I did some research and never figured out the problem. Eventually, the car wasn't accelerating as well as it should have, and when I brought it in, they found the mashed screw in the engine, which caused some engine damage - though not too serious, thankfully. And, not long after, the air manifold cracked and broke, and had to be replaced (that was also gradual, until it got really bad in cold weather, at which point the car wouldn't drive smoothly). Either way, I spent >$1000 on these issues. I wonder if there's any recourse.

Back