Show me your roof box!

Copper5

:
2008 Mazda5 GS, 5AT Copper Red Mica
Hi All,

debating on which roof box to go with for summer vacation this year. Recent addition to the family (she's 7 months old now :) ) means I need more space. 2 adults and 2 kids going on vacation is alot more stuff that last year. I've been looking at the Thule Atlantis 1600 (used), Pulse L or Pulse XL, and the Yakima Skybox 16 and Rocketbox 16.

Does anybody have any pictures with those boxes, or similar? Looking for something in the 16 cubic foot range, that is wide (no ski use, just bulk things). I also don't want it to interfere with the factory antenna.

Any suggestions of other models to look at?

Thanks,

Ryan

Have you looked into the Sears Sport 20 box? Made by Thule but a fraction of the cost. I've been using one for vacation with our 3 for the last couple of years and have been very happy with it.

http://www.sears.com/x-cargo-sport-20-car-top-carrier/p-02872020000P
Blue-ThuleRackCargoBoxTestFit3.jpg

Blue-ThuleRackCargoBoxTestFit4.jpg

Blue-ThuleRackCargoBoxTestFit5.jpg

Doesn't look bad! Too bad Sears Canada doesnt' sell it. Does Sears US carry it in store, or only online?

I bought a similar box for my P5. The noise was really no worse than with the roof rack alone. There was quite a bit of drag and it cost me about 4 or 5 mpg. I have thought about making some sort of fairing for it. I bought it off craigs list for 75 bucks.

Doesn't look bad! Too bad Sears Canada doesnt' sell it. Does Sears US carry it in store, or only online?

Yes, stores do carry it but stock is often limited so I'd call in advance.

How's the noise level with that thing at hwy?? MPG lost? I'm shopping for a roof box and really don't have any idea on what is ideal. This Sears one looks big but potential drag??

Noise level isn't too bad on the highway....at least nothing that my wife complained about for road trips so....

As for mpg lost I can't really comment on that as we've used it for every long trip with the car and it's daily use is around town commuting. Just checked my fuelly and back in 2011 we got a high of 32.7mpg and that was with running the a/c. Other recorded fuel-ups from 2011 and 2012 with the box range from ~25mpg to ~31mpg. Keep in mind it's an auto, the wife prefers a/c on the trips. CC was used sporadically as traffic congestion allowed. The more streamlined Thule/Yakima boxes may yield a little better mpg but not sure if you could fit as much in them due to their design?

Here's a pic from when we bought our Craigslist special almost 3 years ago. $200. Yakima Skybox 16s.

attachment.php

Thanks flcruising! That's what I'm leaning towards, and I have a line on a Skybox16 for a not too bad price. Looks good!

How easy is it to mount? Does it have universal spacing so you can mount it to any rack? Does it lock?

Very easy to mount and somewhat universal spacing, IIRC four holes are pre-drilled at each corner. When we had our MPV the U-bolts would not fit the factory rack as they were thicker. I opted to buy a Thule set of bars (which I now use for the 3) or you can source some U-bolts yourself that will fit your application (the cheaper route). It does lock which leads me to my only complaint...it only opens from the rear vs. either side like most Thule boxes do.

sidewindr - what size & model # is that Inno box, in cubic feet?

There's a 10' box that keeps showing up on woot.com for about $140 - just curious if that's worth it or not.

JMJ

sidewindr - what size & model # is that Inno box, in cubic feet?

There's a 10' box that keeps showing up on woot.com for about $140 - just curious if that's worth it or not.

JMJ
$140?!?! Where? Please let me know! I need a roof box and if it's inno then itll match my rack.

Back