Should Mazda consider a 4 or 5 seater CX-9?

A bit out of the class, but the XC-90 offers 5 and 7 seat configuration. Base model start at around 45K

Not true. Not in comparable class, and the XC-90 is 7 seats only. Prices start at almost $48K.

And whoever posted above that the X5 and Q7 have optional 3rd rows--I just checked. That's not the case.

Last edited:
Not true. Not in comparable class, and the XC-90 is 7 seats only. Prices start at almost $48K.

I first look at Volvo, precisely the XC90 before I even knew about the CX-9 back in 2016. They have a 5 and a 7 seat configuration and price then started at 45ish in San Diego. Do a search for XC-90 Volvo 5 seat and you'll get plenty of search returns with both trims, 5 and 7 seats.

I first look at Volvo, precisely the XC90 before I even knew about the CX-9 back in 2016. They have a 5 and a 7 seat configuration and price then started at 45ish in San Diego. Do a search for XC-90 Volvo 5 seat and you'll get plenty of search returns with both trims, 5 and 7 seats.

Interesting that Volvo is now a Chinese company.
Their new SUVs are getting decent reviews with a few thinking they could use more HP.
For many though, Volvo equals safety first, first.

I don't know what this means. Can you provide a link to Volvo's website, or are you comparing used Volvos to what you suggest Mazda should build? I went to Volvo's website, and it said, the description of the XC-90, "7 seat"; not 5 or 7 seat. $47,200 for FWD T5 Momentum.

https://www.volvocars.com/us/cars/new-models/xc90

Seats seven
Seven luxurious seats mean everyone travels in comfort and style. And both the second and third row fold completely flat, for generous cargo carrying capacity.

Interesting that Volvo is now a Chinese company.
Their new SUVs are getting decent reviews with a few thinking they could use more HP.
For many though, Volvo equals safety first, first.

Really?

The XC40 can be had with 248 HP, which is pretty good for that class.

The XC90 T5 does start at 250 HP, which is on the low side, but moving up to T6 is 316 HP, which is pretty good, especially since it's from a turbo-4.

They should consider a larger CX-9 that is the interior volume of the 1st Generation.

The current one is nice, but compromised on 3rd row leg space and cargo utility.

Mazda won't be able to offer an equal replacement for my 1st Generation in that regard.

That said, a 4 seater CX-9 with the second row further back would be cool as a new concept.

- Zoomfive

Last edited:
Imagine a Mazda CX 9 with . . .
huge pano roof
8 spd transmission
heated/ ventilated seats F/R
6 way rear seats
4 way lumbar support and a leg cushion extension on driver's seat
8 way passenger seat
sliding and reclining rear seats
wireless charging F/R
driver attention warning
wrap around rear view camera

Along with interior changes for that 2-row 9, if they could work some more Mazda Magic to first, reduce weight significantly,
then spec better suspension, tires, and brakes, and finally, if there is any tweaking left to be done on that fine Turbo 4, do it.
You still wouldn't be able to run down that X5 or Macan but most other 4 cylinder mid-sized SUVs would be left in the dust.

They should consider a larger CX-9 that is the interior volume of the 1st Generation.

The current one is nice, but compromised on 3rd row leg space and cargo utility.

Mazda won't be able to offer an equal replacement for my 1st Generation in that regard.

That said, a 4 seater CX-9 with the second row further back would be cool as a new concept.

- Zoomfive

i'm going to have to guess that the next gen cx-9 will be bigger as they will be introducing an SUV between the cx-5 and the cx-9

huge pano roof
8 spd transmission
6 way rear seats
8 way passenger seat
wireless charging F/R
driver attention warning

Along with interior changes for that 2-row 9, if they could work some more Mazda Magic to first, reduce weight significantly,
then spec better suspension, tires, and brakes, and finally, if there is any tweaking left to be done on that fine Turbo 4, do it.
You still wouldn't be able to run down that X5 or Macan but most other 4 cylinder mid-sized SUVs would be left in the dust.

all that would be great!
but MAZDA NEEDS to add a dang PANO ROOF!...arghhhhh..what's the hold up?
i was thinking their new gen mazda3 and cx-30 will offer this, but nothing...
I know it adds weight, and maybe handling might decrease a bit, but really?? i mean BMW the ultimate driving machine offers Panos and they still handle as great.
and not only BMW's the whole friggin market offers Panos!...
ok enough ranting for now..haha

i'm going to have to guess that the next gen cx-9 will be bigger as they will be introducing an SUV between the cx-5 and the cx-9

What have you heard? The only reason for them to make a bigger CX-9 would be if they brought the CX-8 to North America and I heard that's a non-starter for Mazda. Maybe they change their mind and do it. As SUV crazy as America's and Canadians are I bet they would sell more than a few CX-8's.

What have you heard? The only reason for them to make a bigger CX-9 would be if they brought the CX-8 to North America and I heard that's a non-starter for Mazda. Maybe they change their mind and do it. As SUV crazy as America's and Canadians are I bet they would sell more than a few CX-8's.

Analyzing Mazda's product placement and marketing. They won't bring the cx-8 to the US, but they will add another new SUV to the US lineup, which will be manufactured at the new Alabama plant.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/12/mazda-planning-two-new-crossovers/

by doing this, they will make the cx-9 bigger so there is more gap between their model lineup

huge pano roof
8 spd transmission
6 way rear seats
8 way passenger seat
wireless charging F/R
driver attention warning

Wouldn't the cost to do this put it in direct competition with "higher-tiered" premium brands (BMW, Audi, Lexus)? You're talking about a brand new transmission specifically for the CX-9, along with the R&D and other associated spec upgrades to related systems. Pano roof comes with additional cost on it's own, but knowing Mazda, they would want to sink some money in R&D with the goal of providing the pano roof with out sacrificing chassis rigidity. Then when you add interior changes, suspension brake and tire changes.. maybe 8-10k more? And it would be a tougher sell, comparing a Mazda to brands that have been playing in the "premium" game for much longer.

I think they're doing well with the current formula, making baby steps towards a premium brand. They're filling a niche by providing a fun to drive people mover that is nicely appointed for the price.

Analyzing Mazda's product placement and marketing. They won't bring the cx-8 to the US, but they will add another new SUV to the US lineup, which will be manufactured at the new Alabama plant.
https://www.autoblog.com/2019/02/12/mazda-planning-two-new-crossovers/

by doing this, they will make the cx-9 bigger so there is more gap between their model lineup

Interesting thanks. We will see what they do. It won't be until 2022 until we see anything new come off that plant in Alabama. That will be about the time my warranty will be up on my CX-9 and will be deciding whether it is a long term keeper or not. They will up their game even more and offer an auto with more gears. The new Skyactive X engine will be in more places.

As you know, the Mazda is getting more and more premium, so whatever the next model is going to be,
it's going to be great!
i was debating on getting the current cx-9 but then decided to get the cx-5 because i do not need the space of a 3 row suv "yet"
I'm also pretty confident the next gen cx-9 should be out 2021/2022.
Of course this was talked about before, but with all the competition out there, manufacturers are releasing new models every 4-5 years.

Interesting thanks. We will see what they do. It won't be until 2022 until we see anything new come off that plant in Alabama. That will be about the time my warranty will be up on my CX-9 and will be deciding whether it is a long term keeper or not. They will up their game even more and offer an auto with more gears. The new Skyactive X engine will be in more places.

Back