Shop recommendations?

:
09 CWP MS3
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good shop around Columbus that does the usual suspension, exhaust, tune, etc. I have read of IPS and Slowmotion motorsports thus far...Is the 95/hr labor rate at IPS ridiculous, or is it just me? I am in the market to get some coilovers/exhaust installed, though I may get away with doing it myself. Any help would be appreciated!(cheers2)

I don't have any recommendation, but anywhere from $50-$120 an hour isn't unheard of for any shop, let alone one that does performance items.

When the weather get warmer here, we normally do install meets. It might worth it to make the trip up when we have one. We have a good group of people here that will lend a hand. Usually lunch, a person's beverage of choice and helping hand goes a long way with guys!

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for a good shop around Columbus that does the usual suspension, exhaust, tune, etc. I have read of IPS and Slowmotion motorsports thus far...Is the 95/hr labor rate at IPS ridiculous, or is it just me? I am in the market to get some coilovers/exhaust installed, though I may get away with doing it myself. Any help would be appreciated!(cheers2)

Check out Pickups Plus Cars on 23. They did my exhaust install a few years ago and I know the service manager there as well. They're probably just as expensive, but I do recommend you at least check them out.

When the weather get warmer here, we normally do install meets. It might worth it to make the trip up when we have one. We have a good group of people here that will lend a hand. Usually lunch, a person's beverage of choice and helping hand goes a long way with guys!

Yep, and they are a lot of fun too. My place is open for installs. Definitely have the tools

Yep, and they are a lot of fun too. My place is open for installs. Definitely have the tools

i would definitley be down for that! are both of you in cleveland area? and is there a thread for the install meets?
would be great of someone had a fender roller too.

i would definitley be down for that! are both of you in cleveland area? and is there a thread for the install meets?
would be great of someone had a fender roller too.

We have access to a fender roller and just check out the Ohio section and you will see the meet when we post it up.

I'd be willing to help install some stuff. I'll bring my sledgehammer.

maybe you guys can also hear the noise thats coming from my engine in person, unless i get it fixed before then. i think its one of the belt pulleys or bearings. i haven't pinpointed it yet. i haven't seen a video or read of anyone with exactly this kind of noise, but of course the tensioner or vvt noise is the big 'ugh'. sometimes the noise is there, sometimes you can't hear it at all, BUT i can create the noise by turning my steering wheel very slowly, essentially growling my engine and putting a load on the belt...or something. listen for the clank..clank.....cllankclankclank..
it's there the entire duration of the video but starting at 0:49 seconds is really noticeable.

Last edited:
I would pull the valve cover off and check the chain and top of the valve cover to see if the chain is hitting it.

I have the same noise on my 1gen MS3! I just noticed it last month and haven't been able to figure out what it is. It almost sounds like something is loose and just bouncing around in the engine lol. I think I saw a TSB about this issue, but unfortunately it was only to about 70k miles. I'm at 95k so I don't want to pay for a dealer to just look at it if I can figure out the issue myself.

TSB: 01-043/07

MULTI-MODEL - VARIABLE VALVE TIMING NOISE WHEN STARTING ENGINE

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007 Mazdaspeed3 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1BK******742222 (produced before April 1, 2007)
2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 vehicles with VINs lower than JM1 GG******109660 (produced before April 1, 2007)
2007 Mazda CX-7 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3ER******166945 (produced before April 1, 2007)

DESCRIPTION

When the engine is started, some vehicles may exhibit a loud ticking noise from the variable valve timing actuator at first start for a couple of seconds. This is caused by the lock pin of the variable valve timing actuator not fully engaging. Heat treatment has now been added around the hole of the variable valve timing rotor lock pin to prevent this from happening.

Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.

REPAIR PROCEDURE
1. Verify customer concern.
2. Replace the variable valve timing actuator after the engine cools down. Refer to Workshop Manual section 01-10.
3. Do an engine flush and replace the oil filter with a new one to remove dust and metal particles from the engine.
4. Verify repair.

PART(S) INFORMATION

Part Number: L3K9-12-4X0B
Description: Variable Valve Timing Actuator
Qty.: 1

WARRANTY INFORMATION

NOTE:
This warranty information applies only to verified customer complaints on vehicles eligible for warranty repair. Refer to the Warranty Wizard for warranty term information.
Additional diagnostic time cannot be claimed for this repair.
Warranty Type: A
Symptom Code: 82
Damage Code: 9C
Part Number Main Cause: L3K9-12-4X0B
Quantity: 1
Operation Number / Labor Hours::XXC0YXRX / 3.2 Hrs. (CX-7), 3.3 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed3), 3.6 Hrs. (Mazdaspeed6)

Copyright Mazda North American Operations

My parents had the CX7 fixed under warranty. I do not experience it with my MS3, although it is long out of warranty now!

Depending on when you plan on doing these, I'll have a garage a soon. I charge a couple slices of pizza for tool/space rental

Back