Service at dealership or independent shop?

:
2019 CX-9 Signature
What's your preference? Routine service at your dealership or independent shop?

My car is still under warranty. So far I've been only go to dealership for oil changes. It's been ok but not the best. For example they say the oil change includes tire rotation but in reality they say they only rotate when necessary. So far I only had it rotated once after 26000 miles. Is it better I find a reputable shop for regular service?

2019 CX9 Signature.

Personally I'd treat them both the same, with a slight edge given to the Mazda dealership as they would be more likely to be familiar with things like turning on Maintenance Mode when working on the brakes. Aside from that, the only real difference is cost and record-keeping for warranty purposes (work done by an independent must be accompanied with an itemized invoice and a signature from the mechanic performing the work, and parts/fluid used must meet OEM specs).

If I were you, I'd try both and see which you feel most comfortable with. I would also investigate/research your options with regard to available indie shops and dealerships - just as there are horrible dealerships and great indie shops, the opposite is also true.

I have a 2018 and do all of my own basic maintenance and inspections, but when it comes time to do something more involved like change brake pads or rotors, I may pay a visit to the dealership instead.

My plan is to use the dealership until warranty runs out and I will explore independent shops. I do very basic things myself like cabin/air filters and wipers. fluid top up. But not comfortable with oil change because needs to get under the car. It could get messy and not really saving that much money.

Anyone have experience if dealership does all the checks in their recommended service like lubricate door locks, tighten bolts, and all the checks, etc? Personally I think they never bothered with all those...

Anyone have experience if dealership does all the checks in their recommended service like lubricate door locks, tighten bolts, and all the checks, etc? Personally I think they never bothered with all those...

Sure, they'll do that. And charge $150/hr for labor. The recommended service things you mentioned are not warranty items. That being said though, if you go to them for service like oil changes they will look for things that need fixing and it'll cost you nothing as they will file a warranty claim.

if you go to them for service like oil changes they will look for things that need fixing and it'll cost you nothing as they will file a warranty claim.

I never thought of this. Seems logical and a great reason to add to my decision making, which is dealer.

Especially for in warranty. Not only is their more paperwork to ensure is done outside the dealer, they can always argue if you make a claim...even if all was done right. They love to argue. I don't like spending that time arguing. It used to not bother me, now I just can't be bothered.

I continue to go outside the warranty. I just havent looked into other shops. In my opinion, each place is only as good as the people there. To me, a dealer represents more secure employment, possibly even more money. So I feel they attract more serious, better quality workers. Obviously I can't prove such a generalization. Just my thinking on the matter.

I agree with your views on the dealership service question. Even when out of warranty if the dealer's service department has proven themselves during the warranty period then I feel comfortable continuing to use them. Can you save money going to an independent? Probably but for me it's not worth the hassle unless I have cause. Years back I had a Nissan Maxima and was living in another state from where I purchased the vehicle. The local dealer service was great; then they got new management and brought in an aggressive staff and methods to wring every nickel out you. I quit going to them and took my car to a different dealer even though it was in a less convenient location.

Sure, they'll do that. And charge $150/hr for labor. The recommended service things you mentioned are not warranty items. That being said though, if you go to them for service like oil changes they will look for things that need fixing and it'll cost you nothing as they will file a warranty claim.

They actually included those in their maintenance packages when you schedule a booking. But really I don't think they ever bothered with those.

On the other hand, I prefer the dealership that they have much nicer waiting area and amenities. I can work there while I wait but not so much for the independent shop I think.

Last edited:
I have a 2012 CX-9 GT that I bought from Carmax in 2014 with 32,000 on the clock. The first service I went to a dealership quite a distance from home because there was a recall to attend to. My experience there was less than satisfactory - they immediately wanted to change all the fluids etc. for over $1,000. The second service I went to a local mechanic who was highly rated, I liked this, but then I changed jobs and couldn't take the car in on a weekday, and they weren't open weekends. Since then I have taken the car to a dealership in the next state (but ironically closer to home than the first dealership). I have had a really great experience at this dealership - they don't try to nickel and dime or push extra services that are not necessary - they also give me a loaner car while mine is getting serviced. Since the pandemic started the service department has not been open on the weekend, but I've been able to work it out with a loaner car and leaving a little earlier than normal.

I bought my replacement tires at Discount Tire, a few blocks from work. They provide life of tire service so I don't get the dealership to rotate the tires anymore.

Last edited:
So far I only had it rotated once after 26000 miles. Is it better I find a reputable shop for regular service?

Tires should be rotated every 5,000-8,000 miles, so at every oil change. This ensures that the tires all wear evenly and prevents you from replacing them too early. Sounds to me like your dealer isn't taking care of you properly for the money you pay them.

Back