Sensor catalytic converter, cylinder deactivation - Solved

Sorry to hear about this Lenny.

Someone at Mazda knows what this part does or it wouldn’t be on the car. It shouldn’t be so hard to get and answer and find a more reasonable solution instead of charging 1k by replacing the cat. Seeing things like this make me question if I’m willing to keep my Cx-5s after warranty.

I know a GM mechanic and he sees really weird things all the time but always seems to get help and reasonable explanations from the GM tech line when needed.

There could be some good from this story for people like me and
maybe there is an easy way to deactivate CD.

:
2020 CX-5 AWD
... The dealership told me it was not repairable but I guess dealerships don't repair, they replace.. ....
Yes, the stealerships are terrific at replacing parts, and the more they can replace the better.

I still haven't been able to locate the source supplier of the broken part on your vehicle, but did come up with an alternative that could very well be an inexpensive solution for you. If you do an Ebay search on the secondary part number 706366070, you will come up with 3 results (today anyway) for this part - used, from other vehicles.

One of them has a damaged connector, perhaps caused by something similar to what happened with your vehicle. The part from the other US seller appears to be in good shape, and is described as working.

So, as totally expected, this part can be detached from the portion of the exhaust system that it's connected to, and will take probably all of 5 minutes to replace. It's interesting that all three of these sellers describe the part as an 'actuator', even though it also has a sensor inside of the case as well. Mazda refers to this entire assembly as the 'exhaust shutter valve', so I'm wondering if these Ebay sellers found the word actuator in a description written by the OEM.

:
CX-5 GT 2018
Yes, the stealerships are terrific at replacing parts, and the more they can replace the better.

I still haven't been able to locate the source supplier of the broken part on your vehicle, but did come up with an alternative that could very well be an inexpensive solution for you. If you do an Ebay search on the secondary part number 706366070, you will come up with 3 results (today anyway) for this part - used, from other vehicles.

One of them has a damaged connector, perhaps caused by something similar to what happened with your vehicle. The part from the other US seller appears to be in good shape, and is described as working.

So, as totally expected, this part can be detached from the portion of the exhaust system that it's connected to, and will take probably all of 5 minutes to replace. It's interesting that all three of these sellers describe the part as an 'actuator', even though it also has a sensor inside of the case as well. Mazda refers to this entire assembly as the 'exhaust shutter valve', so I'm wondering if these Ebay sellers found the word actuator in a description written by the OEM.
Crap, nice find! There's another number below that is different (pct a or b then some numbers) not sure if matters or refers to some kind of date when part was manufactured. I'll try to contact sellers to see if they'd ship my way (am not in US). Thanks!

:
CX-5 GT 2018
Crap, nice find! There's another number below that is different (pct a or b then some numbers) not sure if matters or refers to some kind of date when part was manufactured. I'll try to contact sellers to see if they'd ship my way (am not in US). Thanks!
I was thinking again about this, maybe the swap is not straightforward because it'd need some calibration... perhaps that's one of the reasons why the part isn't sold separately.

:
2020 CX-5 AWD
I was thinking again about this, maybe the swap is not straightforward because it'd need some calibration... perhaps that's one of the reasons why the part isn't sold separately.
This exhaust shutter appears to be a simple and standard setup, consisting of an actuator to control the shutter flap, and a sensor to monitor the actual flap position. So IMO the ECM would adjust the actuator voltage on-the-fly, in order to get the results it needs to have. I really don't think it's likely that an ECM relearning of the new part would need to be done by Mazda, in order for it to work correctly.

Now all of the above is strictly my opinion, and I certainly could be wrong about that. However, for the amount of money involved to try this out, versus what the stealership is quoting, for me it would be an automatic thing to try. And there's also no risk trying out a used replacement part in this case, simply because what's in there now is dead in the water anyway. So if the used part doesn't work for whatever reason, the ECM is just going to set a code and stop using it, the same as what's happening now.

All of this is JMO, and as always it's your vehicle and your choice.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
The “part number” “706366070” is not the standard Mazda part number, and is not from your sensor (exhaust actuator motor) directly, although the component may look alike. Also we can’t see such number on the side of the white sensor case from your picture in post #3, but only “PYH5-13J40” which is more likely resemble Mazda’s part number. But I’d agree with edmaz that you should spend $49 getting an undamaged one from eBay and give it a try. After all your disconnected “exhaust actuator motor” hasn’t been giving you a CEL, which means the component may not be too important for the cylinder deactivation. And any calibration needed for a new part could not be too significant, or it could be done automatically from re-learning by PCM itself.

Or just use insurance to replace it with a whole new catilytic converter.

Last edited:
:
2020 CX-5 AWD
Good to read that it worked out so well for you! This becomes one more example of things that the stealerships say which are not true, and it's always great to prove them wrong by taking control of the situation and resolving the problem yourself (in this case for around 1/20th of what they quoted for the repair}.

yrwei52

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech Pkg
Contributor
:
Plano, Texas, USA
Quick update: I managed to get my hands on the said part on ebay, got it installed, warning message disappeared, all is good!
Thanks all for the help!!
Thanks for the update!

Latest posts