Self-made rear privacy cover

R

RMW Guy

I wanted a rear cargo cover but didn't win the Ebay auction for one. A fellow forum member had it for sale.

My mind started wandering over the weekend and I thought "how hard can one be to build?

I dug out some 1/4 inch underlayment, took some measurements, and set about to making one. I didn't see the need for the cover to move up with the hatch and didn't want to mess around with that much detail.

My wife didn't have any material that was suitable so I went to a fabric store and bought some heavy felt for $6.00.
I used heavy duty staples to hold the felt in place at the corners and a little glue at the overlaps.
I cut down a length of wall trim to make a brace and installed it side to side.

My cover simply sits on the
shelf and I made cutouts for where the stock piece has pins.

It works great and you cannot see what's in the cargo area at all once the hatch is closed.

No, it's not perfect and doesn't look professional but it's good enough to do the job. It cost me $6.00.

EDIT-The box you see contains my travel toolkit, jumper cables, a jacket, and my ice scraper. I used to drive many miles for my old job so I got used to carrying these things. I don't keep anything of value in our vehicles in plain sight.

Attachments

• cover 3.jpg
    cover 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 163
  • cover 4.jpg
    cover 4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 135
Last edited:
not bad considering the one on ebay sold for little over 70 bucks.Looks like it will do the trick.

not bad considering the one on ebay sold for little over 70 bucks.Looks like it will do the trick.

Yours was in great shape, too. I'm glad you were able to get what you wanted for it in the end.

yeah I did similar on an 86 RX-7 2+2 where I just put some carpeting over thick cardboard. It was on there for 5 years and when I sold it. You could also add the strings to lift it with the hatch if you want to bother.

Back